Study: estrogen deficiency causes fat mass gain in men

Rocky

Trusted Member
Pretty interesting study, came by it after looking at this topic for a while. Thought I’d post it

Anyways, long story short, crashing estrogen causes extreme fat mass gain, both intra abdominal and subcutaneous

The study below had men take a medication which inhibited natural testosterone and estrogen production, then gave one group of men testosterone + arimidex, and one group of men just testosterone

Results were the testosterone + arimidex group gained a ton of fat.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1206168

Study’s are really hard to read for me, if anyone could clarify if what I’m saying is true, that’d be appreciated.

Also it said the men with no arimidex gained more muscle and strength too

Last edited:
I won't decipher it for you because I don't have time to read it @Rocky, but I will give you a tip as to how to read studies. Read the abstract first and then the first introductory paragraphs of the actual research. Doing this gets your mind primed to learn a bit more. Avoid the body of the study until after you have read the discussion. That should give you a good idea of what the study is trying to get across. Those parts of the study are usually a fair amount of reading for the so-called "average person" and may suffice in giving you the information you need.
You may wish to come back to the body of the study and take it in small increments. You may find it interesting or a total bore. It's all up to you if you want to read it. I wish I had the opportunity to avoid half the stuff I seem to think I need to read. Man, I read some studies and get to the end, shake my head and ask myself how am I going to get that lost time back.

I won't decipher it for you because I don't have time to read it @Rocky, but I will give you a tip as to how to read studies. Read the abstract first and then the first introductory paragraphs of the actual research. Doing this gets your mind primed to learn a bit more. Avoid the body of the study until after you have read the discussion. That should give you a good idea of what the study is trying to get across. Those parts of the study are usually a fair amount of reading for the so-called "average person" and may suffice in giving you the information you need.
You may wish to come back to the body of the study and take it in small increments. You may find it interesting or a total bore. It's all up to you if you want to read it. I wish I had the opportunity to avoid half the stuff I seem to think I need to read. Man, I read some studies and get to the end, shake my head and ask myself how am I going to get that lost time back.

I’ll definitely try that

Any tips on the scientific words, makes studies seem like they’re written in a different language at times

I’ll definitely try that

Any tips on the scientific words, makes studies seem like they’re written in a different language at times

It is a different language! What you can do is keep a couple of windows open and Google them as you go. I seem to do that more than I refer to my online medical dictionaries.

I did not read the study. I will however say I do not run an AI very often except when coming off cycle. I find I get lethargic and feel like poop on an AI.

Just wondering what’s your dosage of aromatizing steroids on cycle?
Do you ever get noticeable estrogen sides?

Just wondering what’s your dosage of aromatizing steroids on cycle?
Do you ever get noticeable estrogen sides?
I usually keep my test around 300 mgs per week maximum of 500 for bursts. I generally use dbol and test to kick off a cycle, then I switch to test, var and masteron as a staple for me. I will throw in tbol etc once in awhile here and there as an alternative oral. Generally I run 2 injectibles with 1 oral in cycles.
I have not suffered any estro sides ever thus far and it has been 24 years of vitamin J now.
I have a small amount of expired nolva on hand as part of my PCT along with arimidex for a short run as I cease nolva as the rebound from Nolva can mess with my brain a bit. As in makes me feel lethargic and tired, but that is a symptom I get after ceasing a cycle anyway same as everyone else. It is just something I have always done so I haven't changed it as my bloodwork is always very good on cycle and after cycle so far..

I did not read the study. I will however say I do not run an AI very often except when coming off cycle. I find I get lethargic and feel like poop on an AI.

I like this.

I'm a part of the non AI club lol.
Same with coming off cycle... I will pop low dose AI during PCT, but that's about it.

I'm usually pretty light on the compounds.

Usually low test (under 500)
Throw some stuff like Primo, Tbol, maybe Adrol instead.
I'm not a tren guy, I've run low dose deca, still all good

I absolutely HATE AIs, and I am estrogen prone as a mother fucker.

I like using deca as a base instead of testosterone because I can use higher dosages without getting gyno.

There aren't a ton of things you can reasonably use as a base other than test, deca, or EQ, but they all support androgen function with varying levels of aromatization.

For me,

Test: good but can't take much
Deca: function great on high doses, need to add a little dbol if doses arent high to create some estrogen.
Test + deca: hello dead dick, and lactation.