Student walk out in ontario

I see this sort of thing everyday. Behavi

In AB you are not allowed to hold a student back unless the parents give permission. The majority of kids I've taught that would benefit from being held back coem from homes with poor parenting. So of course most times they don't agree to hold back. You also need permission from the superintentnt where I am to hold a kid back. So first you get permission from principal to even bring up repeating a grade with a parent, if the parent agrees to let you talk abotu it with the parent then you talk abotu it with the parent. If the parent agrees to hold the kid back then you take the info to the principal and they must form a case to be sent to the super indentant who actually makes the ultimate decision. Truly, I know the students academic/behaviour/social needs better then anyone, yet I have the smallest role in the decision.

We don't do learn at your own pace... lol.. that's a fucking joke... If they are bringing this in to supprt kids who are behind, they will just fall further behind unless they come from a great home who will work with them and push them. Work at your own pace might let bright students go through curriculum faster, but I doubt they will learn it very throroughly

I rarely let kids help each other lol.. This year is the first year I've done it and I've only let 1 child get help from the boy she sits beside. It's an extreme case and the onyl time I've let it. Kid needs help? They get it from me so I have full control of what help they get and I have a better understanding of that kids needs.

Honestly, here's how to fix education.

1) Be willing to repeat kids at the kindergarten/grade 1 level. I've taught this age and its usually very obvious which kids aren't ready to go to the next grade. If you let them, the learning gap gets bigger and bigger each year they move ahead when they shouldn't. Have them repeat K/1 and its the single best thing you could possibly do for them. Rarely is a kid who is far behind able to catch up by moving them ahead.

this was the grade we wanted to hold our grandson back, but he is way to big. It would be way too obvious and we didn’t want him thinking he was a dummy later on. I had a friend that was like my grandson and that’s how he felt when he was held back being a big as he was. Never really had a lot of friends either.

*this will never be put into place because the government sets aside a specific amount of dollars per kid to have them graduate gr 12. IF you start repeating kids, these kids cost more then the government budgeted.

2) Have a provinical wide attendence policy. Most kids who are behind are behind purely due to attendence or it is a significant factor. I have kids in jr high whose total absences since gr 1 equal to 3-4 full years of missed school. And of course they are behind, but we push them through. I have no choice in this.

To put it into perspective. I have 26 kids in my class. As of last week we have had 120 days of school. I added up all the days each of my students have missed.. Are you sitting down? Of the 120 days of school, my students have missed 520 FULL days of school (its actually around 525, but I fotget the exact number).

3) get rid of all the new curriculum for math/language and go back to doing what teachers did when it worked.
this is part of Fords new plan. He is for sure reverting back to old math.
4) cut the shit out of the curriculum that is now irrelevent. Rememebr when we had to rotate triangles and flip rectangles on graph paper??? They still make kids do that shit lol... totally useless waste of time... Replace it with functional math that adults need to live.

5) Keep class size less than 22 until grade 10... You'll never know how huge this factor is until your standing on the front lines. Every single kid in the room will get a better education.
it is only in high school where he is increasing class size and it’s still way under 30. Still 22 in lower grades

6) Keep classes under 15 in grad k-2... Spend the money to give kdis the best possible chance to start school on the right foot. I'm telling you, if they do well in k-2 they just keep doing well. If they do poorly in k-2, they will contnue to struggle until they get HUGE support from someone outside of regular teaching. Again, the gaps between learning only get bigger unless huge steps are taken.
it is like this at my grandsons school, actually around 10.
But it is my opinion and well as the teachers that full day prekindergarten is stupid, they are way too young to be in school. This will be phased out, it was brought in by Whynn as a vote ploy.

7) don't be such pussies when it comes to making policies with how to deal with behaviour. Policies really restrict what consequences I can apply and you'd be floored if you knew things I can not do to punish kids and things kids are entitleed to regardless of their behaviour.

totally agree here. When we go to parent teacher interviews we always give the teacher to treat our grandson like their own child. They are allowed to discipline. It was funny because on timevour grabdson was whining about how his teacher was being mean. We told him to listen next time, lol,

We need to keep in mind the idea of the "family" is really different than it used to be. And the amount of good parenting at home has really changed.

I could tell you a story about a student and his behviour in another class over the last two days and your jaw would drop to the floor with what the kid has done and what the outcome was of his behaviour.

please tell the story.

*I've said it before, give me less kids in my class before you give me a raise and I'd be overwhelmed with joy. I don't want a raise. I want a cap of 22 kids in my room. I'd be happy to not get a raise for 10 years to make this happen.

Please check above I answered in your quote in red.

What I think is funny is that everyone is blasting Ford for changes, but he is doing a lot of what you recommend.
No teachers will be let go and my wife worked out the ones that he plans on not replacing works out to around 1 teacher per school and if the remove prekingegarden that there is the 1 teacher.

So yeah they are screaming for nothing.

Anyhow, you are likely the 50% that would take a smaller class size over a raise. It’s tough for you because you can’t compaire yourself to the average teacher. You go above and beyond. There are a few at my grandson school and they stand out.

A lot of teachers shop at my store.

I have to PM you the story lol...

Yes holding kids back isn't always the best idea.. I have no idea your grandson's size or academics etc.. But I once taught a boy who was very very very behind. Like lower then kindergarten level when he was in grade 2. He was not the biggest kid, but he was a bigger kid. The school refused to consider holding him back because he would be one of the bigger students in gr 2 if he repeated, but not nearly the biggest. I told my admin, "we don't hold kids back because they are smart but too short to move on, so we shouldn't push a tall kid through just because he's tall".. Again, not sure where your grandson is academically, but this boy was at a play school level going into grade 3 and he wasn't the biggest boy by far.

My grandson isn’t mentally handicapped or anything, but the first two years of his life was spent inhaling meth and not being fed properly. So when we took him at 3 he couldn’t walk or say tree. He has come a looong way. We know he has more to go and we help him at home to get there, but it will be work until the day he is done and starts his career, lol.
He is in a split grade 3-4 class. He is taller than all the grade 4’s but in grade 3. No way we could hold him back. Plus it would have been tough to pull him away from his friends. What we should have done was put him into school a year later, then he would have never known. I believe he is mildly autistic, he used to flap his hands, still spins to concentrate, but every month he gets better. Thing with him is, if he likes something he tunnel visions into it until he knows every fact, will study it everywhere on the net until he knows it all, and his memory is outstanding. He just needs to find a job he loves and has interest and he will excel. He may never be able to tie his shoes though, bwahaaa.

I'm openly not against all of what Ford is talking about. I am opposed to some, like class sizes. I'm unsure his exact end goal is in this regard, but the smaller the class sizes the better in any grade. I know some ppl were bitching on my facebook that 28 kids in a high school class is what he's aiming at. Not sure if this is the true fact, but in some classes 28 is fine, but in others 28 is not. If you have a high level grade 12 math class with 30 kids, thats fine. They are high acedmeic kids to begin with. But those lower level math classes wouldn't be productive with 28 kids per clss. If Ford wants 28 kids in lower level math classes, then expect your frustration of the basic math skills of your employees to be worse.

He is going for up to 28, but only for hischool, so grade 10-12. Not for the lower grades.
He has also mentioned that teachers need to be better at their attendance. I guess there is a high non attendance rate. I havnt actually looked into the amounts, but it must be pretty high or he wouldn’t be making comments like, as teachers retire and are not replaced, I guess the ones left will have to make sure the show up to work. See I don’t see this at my grandsons school because it us really small and the teachers are like the ones at your school. They teach there because they actually care, not for summers off.

Again, I'm all for some of what I read Ford is trying to do. Like I said earlier, the sex ed changes are becoming ridiculous. I like Ford's proposals in this area.

I taught kindergarten at a full day kindergarten school. It is my beleive that most can't handle it. The afternoons was a nightmare lol.. But my kids go to full day day care that actually teaches things to the kids and my kids can handle it. The big difference is at full day kindergarten they are pushing education on kids whose brains aren't ready. Some kids are ready, most arent. In kindergarten they are doing math/laguage that used to be done in gr 1 and gr 2. So they are doing full day kindergarten and demanding they do things that they are not capable of and the kids can't handle it and get burnt out and teaching them in the afternoon is misery. But at my kids full day daycare, they teach the kids life skills like putting the clothes on, they teach them about animals, colours, alphabet etc.. but its pure play based learning. The full day kindergarten isn't play based learning, its sit in a desk and learn lol.. There are kids that can handle this and do well though.

No they brought in full day prekindergarten. So year before kindergarten, and they expected them to do school, be behaved, lol. There is an ece in every class. These kids were just barely potty trained, some where not yet. It was brought in to bribe people’s votes by saving daycare costs. I bet when he gets rid of prekindergarten that will be the teacher that is lost. So there will not be any effect on the school.

SO this full day kindergarten pumps out a handful of kids who did well and can read and basic write, but the other majortiy came out well behind these kids becsuse their brains were not ready.. So right after kindergarten the gap in learning is huge just because full day academic kindergarten is too much for them.

I would be 100% supportive of full day play based learning kindergarten. IT would be great because those kids who tend to come from a home which doesn't teach kids basic life skills need to be in a situation where it is being taught to them before they start gr academic classes. If it aint being taught at home, the faster they are in a school the better chance they have at being successful in school.

Please believe me in that I work at a school of 30 teachers. About 15 are like me and do whatever nessicary to help kids and give up thousands of hours a year to support kids when they can. Another 10 are amazing teachers tht I still think go above their job description and take extra time to suport. And there is about 5 teachers who should really consider a different career. I'd say half the teachers in schools are like me. Some are more noticeable than others though.

I answered above in red.

Btw, do you know of anything I can do to help my grandson with his cordination with his hands. He has a really difficult time making them function. His mom had strange hands as well.

I answered above in red.

Btw, do you know of anything I can do to help my grandson with his cordination with his hands. He has a really difficult time making them function. His mom had strange hands as well.

No real idea based on fact but I’d say any kind of sport, baseball, hockey, basketball etc. Even just playing catch.

But also things like colouring, writing and building things say out of LEGO or similar. Maybe model building or whatever. Some will say video games, but usually we aren’t looking to sit kids in front of screens... however those would work too.

Also taking apart things and putting them back together. Say old electronics or similar.

Whatever it is, hopefully a well rounded combination of it all but the kid has to be interested.

I addressed this in later posts abotu why kids keep getting pushed through.. again I apologize for just seeing your posts.

Why don't we expect high school students to tke more responsiblity? Well honestly most just aren't ready to do so lol.. you can only put responsiblilty on anyone when they are capable of handling it. You could view it as sink or swim, in this sitiation I don't think it would work for many students. I know for me, back in high school I was have sunk if I was responsible for completing on line courses... I would have completely sunk.. possibly would have only gotten a high school diploma, not a degree even.. But since I wasn't put through this, I graduated (barely) with a high school degree.. Then took some time off school and went to university a couple years later when I was mature enough for it and graduted on the dean's list with 2 degrees. See what I mean, you can't put a irrational amount of responsiblity on someone who isn't ready for it and expect them to succeeed.
I agree that it’s tough to put responsibility on high school kids. It’s not an easy task. Maybe it was growing up broke and having a job at 14 and giving my parents money to help with bills, but that’s how I was raised you shit or get off the pot. You either want something and work for it or you fall behind and it’s up to you to pull your socks up and do it. In the real world no ones going to hold your hand and say “there there it’s ok you don’t want to have a hard time”. Maybe I’m just a cruel son of a bitch but life’s not lollipops and blow jobs... life’s going to kick the shit out of you and it’s up to you, no one else, to pick yourself up again.

As for your concern I would see a true debate between you and your students as brain washing, not a chance. I believe that’s what’s gone wrong in this country is the ability of people to debate and have differing views is gone. I believe as people we will never grow if we only have one point of view. I think that’s where a lot of the anger comes from towards the left. There is no true exchange of ideas or debate. If you don’t believe what they do, there isn’t a conversation there isn’t arguing facts. It’s instantly labeling you “racist” “homophobic” “hitler” that just shows how close minded those people are. You can’t have a real conversation regarding immigration without being labeled racist, and that’s wrong. The left screams for free speech... but yet the second it is the freedom of someone with a contrary view its protested its shouted down its labeled negative, and the media is right there beside them giving them an even bigger voice.

So no I don’t believe having an actual debate where REAL facts of gun control are discussed. By real facts I mean actual numbers actual laws actual practices and even the subjects that are not PC. Debate over any subject where intelligent ideas and facts can be used to argue one’s side is an amazing thing that would get kids actually engaged and thinking for themselves rather than taking verbatim what’s fed to them through the media. I thank you for probably being part of the 30% of teachers that care and take pride in what they do.

I answered above in red.

My second youngest son had issues with coordination in his hands (fine motor skills) I worked with him every night building something didn’t matter what, but using the old mechanix set (I forget the real name of it) but it’s the set that’s just small steel pieces with small nuts and bolts. I saw a huge improvement in his abilities in about 4-5 weeks. We still do it if I’m home from work before he goes to bed

I shouldn’t even comment on this because I do feel there’s typical a large amount of ignorance on most topics that you don’t have first hand detailed experience with. But.

I just had to spend $2000 to have my son assessed for an iep because the teachers have kicked the shit out of him verbally for 5 years. His results. Basically nothing wrong with him. A few minor things. No iep necessary.

I believe there are a ton of good teachers out there. Ratio of good to bad? Not sure. My experience so far? 5:1 bad to good. That’s my experience only with a good kid trying to understand what they’re teaching him. I also think good teachers handcuffed to a shitty curriculum means their performance is brought way down

If we’re going to get political, which I hate doing, I think it’s complete bs the liberal “brainwashing” that happens to our kids at school, and a major contribution to our age of entitlement. “Don’t correct your child for spelling mistakes, let them try it on their own and make mistakes.” What? “Don’t have them do their homework, it’s too much for them at home. Maybe 5-10 min that’s it and then don’t burden them”. But they don’t know how to do the work, wtf? “Don’t tell them what gender they are, let them choose once they decide.” What what?!

Cell phones, social media = downfall of our society. Complete poison... as I write this message on one.... but seriously as addicting as they are, they almost need to be treated like alcohol. No one under 19 or 21 can use one or sign up to these sites. Let the kids start to mature first before they’re complete zombies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I addressed this in later posts abotu why kids keep getting pushed through.. again I apologize for just seeing your posts.

Why don't we expect high school students to tke more responsiblity? Well honestly most just aren't ready to do so lol.. you can only put responsiblilty on anyone when they are capable of handling it. You could view it as sink or swim, in this sitiation I don't think it would work for many students. I know for me, back in high school I was have sunk if I was responsible for completing on line courses... I would have completely sunk.. possibly would have only gotten a high school diploma, not a degree even.. But since I wasn't put through this, I graduated (barely) with a high school degree.. Then took some time off school and went to university a couple years later when I was mature enough for it and graduted on the dean's list with 2 degrees. See what I mean, you can't put a irrational amount of responsiblity on someone who isn't ready for it and expect them to succeeed.

Lol, I make those 16 year old highschool kids sink or swim at work. Some of them its like punishment, but its funny, pretty much all of them come back to visit and shop at the store when they move on.

My second youngest son had issues with coordination in his hands (fine motor skills) I worked with him every night building something didn’t matter what, but using the old mechanix set (I forget the real name of it) but it’s the set that’s just small steel pieces with small nuts and bolts. I saw a huge improvement in his abilities in about 4-5 weeks. We still do it if I’m home from work before he goes to bed

That's a great idea, now how to get him interested in that, lol. I'll need to see if they have dinosaur kits

Lol, I make those 16 year old highschool kids sink or swim at work. Some of them its like punishment, but its funny, pretty much all of them come back to visit and shop at the store when they move on.
Next time I’m out your way I’ve gotta stop in I’ve heard good things about your jerky!