So I just went and tried out a Planet Fitness!

You’re forgetting that most people are ok with not getting results.

As long as they are “going” to the gym all is ok. Progress is something foreign to them.

That's an excellent analysis and it explains a lot. That concept is so far away from me (and most of us here) that it never even occurred to me but now that you mentioned it, it makes total sense. I guess I'm too busy and haven't really tried to understand them much before.

It probably explains why it often seems that mostly everyone at my gym seems unmotivated or lazy. My wife lifts heavier and more intensely than all the gals and also most of the guys. It also might explain why it seems some of them stare at us when we workout - like who do we think we are actually working so hard? :)

My wife lifts heavier and more intensely than all the gals and also most of the guys.

Which reminds me of a story. My wife is the same, a couple years ago when we still trained in the gym one of the women asked my wife if there was any advise that she could give in regards to training and looking better. She said yes "sweat". I couldn't help myself from laughing.

Which reminds me of a story. My wife is the same, a couple years ago when we still trained in the gym one of the women asked my wife if there was any advise that she could give in regards to training and looking better. She said yes "sweat". I couldn't help myself from laughing.
Just to clarify my wife didn’t say it to be a bitch it’s just not in her nature. They talked for a bit and she explained what she meant. The woman had a program but was just going through the motions.

I haven't seen these planet fitness comercials, so I youtubed them lol

Some things come to mind.
1) the actors (check out 4:30 for example) contribute to their own stereo types lol

2) They made me gigglge a bit... I'm lauhing at how ridiculous they are.

3) PF has great marketing strategies. These PF commercials and PF itself would appeal to the vast majority of those who work out.

4) Sounds like PF would meet the needs of the majority of ppl who go to a gym.

Newf, your right.. most people never progress with physical changes, but doing anything is better than nothing. Sometimes "going to the gym" is just a hobby for ppl in terms of just getting out of the hosue and being active. Not everyone goes to the gym for the pure purpose of seeing progression. I'm sure most want to see it, but its not always their number one goal. Again, doing anything is better then nothing. Maybe these ppl who don't see visible progress are at least preventing their fitness from being worse? And you can get gains in cardiovascular, flexibility and strength without seeing any body composition. It's still progression, but their bodies don't outwardly show change. Either way, I am happy and supportive of anyone who gets off their ass and goes to a gym, except the douche bag 20 year old 200lbs guys with white sun glasses lol...

I also look at these ppl who go to the gym and never push themselves as sort of the same reason I do my outdoor recreation actitivites. I cut fire wood all year. I do it to get out of the house, move around for a bit, prevent a little regression in aging and to enjoy myself. It's great if I see some positive physical improvements, but if not, I know I'm still a better person for going out and cutting the wood.

The woman in the gym when she was giving me the tour even said “we don’t cater to bodybuilders or power lifters, it is for general fitness”
I think you can still get benefit going to a gym even if you have no interest in putting on muscle. Drs say you just need to move right? Like they tell people to walk to places. Get 20mins of exercise a day for your heart or whatever.
This is where gyms like PF come in. Yeah you might not have a serious goal that you are working towards but it’s better than not leaving the house and watching TV all day.
I mean if you go for a walk for twenty minutes you don’t do it expecting to put on muscle mass you do it just to move. This is the bulk of PFs customer base. It’s why they have like 200 treadmills and ellipticals.
And I noticed the pizza and bagel days are one day a month. Even serious lifters probably do that...probably.

But if these folks were to actually try really hard and eat as required then they might actually accomplish something and then they wouldn't be able to quit and then scream about the very obvious fact that everyone else must be steroid abusing cheaters

I just watched the commercials and I thought they were pretty funny.
Same.

On another note, I found another positive for Planet Fitness. Yesterday I found it waaaay easier to get a full 20 mins of Cardio there than at my old gym. Why? PF is FULL of hot girls! Had a lot to look at whilst i did my cardio.

I like planet fitness great price for a month $10.00 can’t beat that! Right now with the Covid instead of them giving out pizzas to members once a month and bagels once a month they’re actually donating that money to the health care services, I think that’s very kind. To me I don’t care about commercials I think the intentions are to draw people in with no judgment free zone which I think that’s amazing so people that need to workout can actually get that accomplished without being judged making planet more healthier of people. I like their machines as well and they always keep it very clean plus the free classes.

I like planet fitness great price for a month $10.00 can’t beat that! Right now with the Covid instead of them giving out pizzas to members once a month and bagels once a month they’re actually donating that money to the health care services, I think that’s very kind. To me I don’t care about commercials I think the intentions are to draw people in with no judgment free zone which I think that’s amazing so people that need to workout can actually get that accomplished without being judged making planet more healthier of people. I like their machines as well and they always keep it very clean plus the free classes.
Did you just say a gym gives out free pizza once a month to its members? 🤔 lol

The problem I have with the judgement free zone is their entire platform is built on judgement and bullying type behaviour. And then the mob like mentality towards people who are in shape and training hard. I’ve noticed that this type behaviour is clearly observed in other areas these days with respect to certain current events.

People’s own insecurities are what fuel this.

Sure there are assholes in every club.... however it’s rarely the truly big members that behave this way. It’s usually the douchebag losers that have just cracked 200lbs and are half repping their 80lb dumbbells that would ridicule a person who is obese.

We have one here in my city.... but it’s pretty toned down and they don’t have the lunk alarm set up or any other truly shitbag like ideals that the parent company has dreamt up.

The company has a very aggressive platform and at one time they were striving to put every mainstream chain gym in North America out of business or a planet fitness. Now who knows? The fitness industry has been raped like no other.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve migrated away from free weights and lifting very heavy. Maybe I’m the perfect customer for Planet Fitness ?

I had a membership at Fit4less. Have to say a couple of them I went to were pretty great facilities. Plus with traveling for work almost every town around had one.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve migrated away from free weights and lifting very heavy. Maybe I’m the perfect customer for Planet Fitness ?

I had a membership at Fit4less. Have to say a couple of them I went to were pretty great facilities. Plus with traveling for work almost every town around had one.
They don’t allow thongs on the leg press so I doubt you’ll be able to party....

There is a fit for less across from my shop. Used to be a GoodLife.
I find they never have enough equipment. So I spend 1/2 my time changing my exercises because someone is using what I want.
I just need a training partner to train at my home gym. And then I’d be gtg, lol.

I was actually thinking about that lol but did not wanted to comment on it 😅
When you think about it, it’s really smart.
You want people with low self esteem to join your gym, they pay out of guilt but don’t show up often to use the equipment because they cannot self motivate.
But when they hear about free donuts, pizza, tanning and such, they think it’s the best gym ever. No judgment for underachievers.
It is a brilliant business plan. So people instead of having to become fit, are allowed to pretend they are getting fit, and get to shame the ones in shape, lol.
It’s too bad I never came up with it. They did the opposite of the normal gym business plan, and it’s paying off.

To think, it’s a plan we would joke about, yeah, we will feed the fatties pizza, beer and they can hang out getting fatter, feeling guilty and keep paying the monthly fee. Best part is most wont show up, so we can oversell memberships. Poor suckers running a real gym, wearing out their equipment.