So I just went and tried out a Planet Fitness!

Englishmustard

Bollocks!
Trusted Member
I got sick and tired of paying $94 a month for my gym, which by the way, none of that money goes back into the gym. It’s pretty old school and owned by a former Mr Canada. People love it there cos they can do what they want but the equipment is old and falling apart. They never maintain anything. I complained multiple times about the padding on the leg ext being worn out. It feels like rolling a metal bar up your shins. Nothing was done. All the pivot points on the cardio equipment feel like they are just about to come apart. And they refuse to put signs up telling people to re-rack weights. You can be the first in there at 5 am and there are plates on all the bars and machines from the night before. No effort to do a nightly close down tidy up.

I realize this turned into a rant about my old gym but I’m getting to the point soon. Would you pay $94 a month for a gym like that. Now I have to admit I paid that because I can’t commit to a years contract as I like to move around and can never guarantee I’ll be somewhere for a year. I think the price is like $60-70 with a years commitment. Still expensive I feel.

There is a gym in town call “The Dungeon” awesome right?! It’s $50 a month no commitment but there is no calf machines or cardio equipment. When PF opened up here (like three weeks ago) I figured I could join both for $60. Planet fitness is freaking $10 a month $22.99 with a years commitment but you get unlimited tanning, hydro massage and a bunch of other stuff. And all the equipment is brand new. Plus if I want to quit my years contract and can prove I’m moving to a town that doesn’t have a planet fitness then they don’t charge you the cancellation fee.

So I can go to The Dungeon for my big lifts and PF for my calves and cardio and tanning. All $30-40 cheaper than my piece of shit old gym.

Now onto my opinion on PF.
For all the shit that is said about the place the “no judgements” unless you’re actually in shape. The free pizza Monday’s, the lunk Alarm. It gets a really bad rep from dedicated lifters.

But you know what? It has its place, and a valid one. It is not for us, it is for the people who are just starting out, the people who are nervous and anxious about going to a gym and doing things wrong.
When these people put on some size or lose some weight and feel more confident about using the equipment, then maybe they will get more interest in learning more, they’ll read and seek advice. They come to understand that they can’t just keep using machines. Then maybe they’ll move on to a different gym and to keep progressing further.
For all the piss taking that goes on about Planet Fitness I believe it is a great place to get people started on their fitness journey.

I hate planet fitness for their advertisements. Not planet fitness maybe, maybe more the public for finding it acceptable to allow that advertising to be ok somehow. It’s disgusting because it’s singling out a minority group of people by generalizing their stereotypical depictions.

This advertisements are the equivalent of placing a black person eating fried chicken in the middle of a watermelon patch with a jug of grape soda under his arm while acting his dumb self so as to entertai the white folk.

DISGUSTING

I won’t dispute the fact that they are very well run organization. Their business plan is AGRESSIVE! And genius in marketing to mediocrity because that’s what makes up 90% of the gym goers out there. They’re no dummies and their gyms are well maintained and well run. No smaller independent gym can compete with what they offer for the price. I think they miss the mark by not allowing racks or benches. They allow other equipment that complete losers can go full blown fucktard on so I don’t see what the deal is.

Regardless.... they should be put in jail for how they are allowed to single out and ridicule a minority while praying on people’s fears and insecurities. Most big guys and girls in the gym are the most friendly people in there. Not the douchebags. The douchebags are the 200 lb guys that have had their first whiffs of 300lbs and think they are bigger than they really are.

No it’s not racism.... but it’s built on the same ideals that racism is. And that isn’t ok..... yet somehow it is because it’s a bodybuilder.

I suppose bodybuilders and other advanced gym goers are too far in the minority to matter.

Sorry sir. I’m a Debbie downer on this one....I agree and understand why you can give them props. It’s unparalleled value for 10 bucks a month!!! But it’s honestly disgusting what they have done.

Last edited:
I hate planet fitness for their advertisements. Not planet fitness maybe, maybe more the public for finding it acceptable to allow that advertising to be ok somehow. It’s disgusting because it’s singling out a minority group of people by generalizing their stereotypical depictions.

This advertisements are the equivalent of placing a black person eating fried chicken in the middle of a watermelon patch with a jug of grape soda under his arm while acting his dumb self so as to entertai the white folk.

DISGUSTING

I won’t dispute the fact that they are very well run organization. Their business plan is AGRESSIVE! And genius in marketing to mediocrity because that’s what makes up 90% of the gym goers out there. They’re no dummies and their gyms are well maintained and well run. No smaller independent gym can compete with what they offer for the price. I think they miss the mark by not allowing racks or benches. They allow other equipment that complete losers can go full blown fucktard on so I don’t see what the deal is.

Regardless.... they should be put in jail for how they are allowed to single out and ridicule a minority while praying on people’s fears and insecurities. Most big guys and girls in the gym are the most friendly people in there. Not the douchebags. The douchebags are the 200 lb guys that have had their first whiffs of 300lbs and think they are bigger than they really are.

No it’s not racism.... but it’s built on the same ideals that racism is. And that isn’t ok..... yet somehow it is because it’s a bodybuilder.

I suppose bodybuilders and other advanced gym goers are too far in the minority to matter.

Sorry sir. I’m a Debbie downer on this one....I agree and understand why you can give them props. It’s unparalleled value for 10 bucks a month!!! But it’s honestly disgusting what they have done.

Totally agree. My wife thinks any commercials making bodybuilders look stupid is funny, but I actually get a bit offended.
And we are a small enough minority for no one to care. Plus I believe most think since we look tough on the outside we are tough enough on the inside not to care.
But it hurts, it really does hurt, lol.

Go on YouTube and check out 'Brian Shaw, Planet Fitness'.. its pretty great.

I only just found out about the 'link alarm'. I think its fucking hilarious. Definitely not somewhere I will visit other than what you suggest, for cardio. I like grunting and being loud with weights.

I just reread my post and I think I don’t sound any better than those crying social justice warriors fighting for “insert cause here”...lol.

All I will say is I can certainly laugh at the 3 gallon water bottle toting greased up “ I pick things up and put them down” guy....... it just pisses me off that there are such double standards that somehow are ok.

@biguglynewf i hear ya man, and I totally agree with you on that. I’ve only seen one ad on YouTube and it was fucking ridiculous. But you have to be able to laugh at yourself otherwise it gives others the power to do so at your expense. Also when someone is offended by something, it is their own fault for letting themselves be offended.
But the ads are effective at letting their customer base know that they won’t feel intimidated at their gyms. Now I know that just cos someone is huge doesn’t mean they’re going to be a dick. But until you experience that for yourself it’s a hard judgement to get over for some people, and the first timers that PF wants as customers are those people.

I dont really think they know what judgement free means, most judgmental place I've ever seen, and its socially acceptable blows my mind. And just because, imma throw it out there as well fuck you Gillette stay in your lane!

A girl at work saw this guy at planet fitness the other day who was huge, that was wearing a shirt that said “LUNK” on it, lol.
I guess the mananger wanted a picture with him, with the shirt.

havn't seen any recent adds from them but even though they make fun of bodybuilders I think the adds I did see are hilarious. you guys take life way too seriously. they are catering to a crowd that have no interest in being bodybuilders anyways.

havn't seen any recent adds from them but even though they make fun of bodybuilders I think the adds I did see are hilarious. you guys take life way too seriously. they are catering to a crowd that have no interest in being bodybuilders anyways.

Yeah, I guess I do.

@biguglynewf i hear ya man, and I totally agree with you on that. I’ve only seen one ad on YouTube and it was fucking ridiculous. But you have to be able to laugh at yourself otherwise it gives others the power to do so at your expense. Also when someone is offended by something, it is their own fault for letting themselves be offended.
But the ads are effective at letting their customer base know that they won’t feel intimidated at their gyms. Now I know that just cos someone is huge doesn’t mean they’re going to be a dick. But until you experience that for yourself it’s a hard judgement to get over for some people, and the first timers that PF wants as customers are those people.

Well hence my second post.

The last part of your post that I put in bold is a lot of what is wrong with this world. Treat any other group of people that way and you’d be sent to live in the Himalayas.

I get it.... really I do.

But then there’s s part of me that says what a minute here. This is bullshit.

Meh.....No one wants equality....everyone just wants revenge.

And sadly that is the truth.... people just choose not to see it.

I get it.... really I do.

But then there’s s part of me that says what a minute here. This is bullshit.

Meh.....No one wants equality....everyone just wants revenge.

And sadly that is the truth.... people just choose not to see it.

Equality only when it benefits them.

Equality only when it benefits them.

It’s not equality though.... pure and simple. All of these groups are looking for vengeance.... it’s not about balancing the equation.... it’s about getting even.

Name the social justice group.... none are seeking to even playing fields.... they are all looking for payback.

watched some of their most recent commercials. I don't know who their advertisement team is but you really analyse their videos they try and make us look dumb, but wait... isn't the body type they are making fun of (specially the women commercial I find) the type of body that people go tot the gym for in the first place? So what are they saying.... come to fitness fitness.... where you are promised no results? so really to me it seems more like they are calling their own customers stupid.

I got sick and tired of paying $94 a month for my gym, which by the way, none of that money goes back into the gym. It’s pretty old school and owned by a former Mr Canada. People love it there cos they can do what they want but the equipment is old and falling apart. They never maintain anything. I complained multiple times about the padding on the leg ext being worn out. It feels like rolling a metal bar up your shins. Nothing was done. All the pivot points on the cardio equipment feel like they are just about to come apart. And they refuse to put signs up telling people to re-rack weights. You can be the first in there at 5 am and there are plates on all the bars and machines from the night before. No effort to do a nightly close down tidy up.

I realize this turned into a rant about my old gym but I’m getting to the point soon. Would you pay $94 a month for a gym like that. Now I have to admit I paid that because I can’t commit to a years contract as I like to move around and can never guarantee I’ll be somewhere for a year. I think the price is like $60-70 with a years commitment. Still expensive I feel.

There is a gym in town call “The Dungeon” awesome right?! It’s $50 a month no commitment but there is no calf machines or cardio equipment. When PF opened up here (like three weeks ago) I figured I could join both for $60. Planet fitness is freaking $10 a month $22.99 with a years commitment but you get unlimited tanning, hydro massage and a bunch of other stuff. And all the equipment is brand new. Plus if I want to quit my years contract and can prove I’m moving to a town that doesn’t have a planet fitness then they don’t charge you the cancellation fee.

So I can go to The Dungeon for my big lifts and PF for my calves and cardio and tanning. All $30-40 cheaper than my piece of shit old gym.

Now onto my opinion on PF.
For all the shit that is said about the place the “no judgements” unless you’re actually in shape. The free pizza Monday’s, the lunk Alarm. It gets a really bad rep from dedicated lifters.

But you know what? It has its place, and a valid one. It is not for us, it is for the people who are just starting out, the people who are nervous and anxious about going to a gym and doing things wrong.
When these people put on some size or lose some weight and feel more confident about using the equipment, then maybe they will get more interest in learning more, they’ll read and seek advice. They come to understand that they can’t just keep using machines. Then maybe they’ll move on to a different gym and to keep progressing further.
For all the piss taking that goes on about Planet Fitness I believe it is a great place to get people started on their fitness journey.

Hey bro I joined planet fitness to, it alright in there love the hydro massage tables, so I got two memberships now motion and there, lol, hey iron nation is have open house Sunday starting at 11, I think that place is gonna be awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watched some of their most recent commercials. I don't know who their advertisement team is but you really analyse their videos they try and make us look dumb, but wait... isn't the body type they are making fun of (specially the women commercial I find) the type of body that people go tot the gym for in the first place? So what are they saying.... come to fitness fitness.... where you are promised no results? so really to me it seems more like they are calling their own customers stupid.
OMG I never thought of this but you have a really good point here!

It’s not equality though.... pure and simple. All of these groups are looking for vengeance.... it’s not about balancing the equation.... it’s about getting even.

Name the social justice group.... none are seeking to even playing fields.... they are all looking for payback.

I was being a bit sarcastic. I agree they don’t want equality.

You’re forgetting that most people are ok with not getting results.

As long as they are “going” to the gym all is ok. Progress is something foreign to them.

Think of it this way.....how many people do you see in your gym that never change? It is probably the majority.

Planet fitness creates a place where people can come in and feel good about what they are doing..... but never improve their physique or health. Bagels at lunch and free pizza Friday’s.... because you deserve it and work hard.

The philosophy is messed up.....but it appeals to the masses.

How many people are looking for a way to achieve but not have to work hard. It’s like the magic pill.