Should Middle Aged Guys Avoid EQ?

bigcanadian

Trusted Member
I will be turning 48yrs old in 10 days. In the past, I've used EQ and it did indeed make my blood thicker than normal. I have no aspirations to be 250lbs.....I just want to be fit, healthy, and have more muscle than 90% of the general population. I know I *SHOULD* donate blood and that would help, but I don't. Plus it seems like EQ really isn't thought of too highly although I guess it made me veiny. I'd probably be better off running deca to help with my sore shoulder, elbows, knees etc LOL.

I been taking eq off and on since the mid 1990's. I personally love it, but never take a dose over 300mg per week. So I never have problems with thick blood.
A perfect way to thin your blood is taking fish oil at a high dose.
EPA in the fish oil thins the blood, that is why on the label it say if taking blood thinners.

I been taking eq off and on since the mid 1990's. I personally love it, but never take a dose over 300mg per week. So I never have problems with thick blood.
A perfect way to thin your blood is taking fish oil at a high dose.
EPA in the fish oil thins the blood, that is why on the label it say if taking blood thinners.
I use to mega dose fish oil before i ever used aas. I Would get nosebleeds all the time from thin blood

The omega supplement that I have been using has 1500mg EPA, 1500mg DHA and 300mg DPA in 2 soft gels taken twice (4 a day) daily. Best doses I've found for the price where I'm at. Made by Jym supplements

Fish oil does nothing to lower hematocrit and that is what you need to be most concerned with here.

Not a ton you can do either. Be sure to stay well hydrated as being dehydrated cause low plasma to rbc levels... ie “thick” blood.

Best way to lower it though is donate blood.

And lastly eating grapefruit is suppose to help facilitate phagocytosis. How effective that is I’m not sure. There is a study on it though. My guess is that any measured reduction isn’t overly exceptional. Just a guess though.

Fish oil does nothing to lower hematocrit and that is what you need to be most concerned with here.

Not a ton you can do either. Be sure to stay well hydrated as being dehydrated cause low plasma to rbc levels... ie “thick” blood.

And lastly eating grapefruit is suppose to help facilitate phagocytosis. How effective that is I’m not sure. There is a study on it though. My guess is that any measured reduction isn’t overly exceptional. Just a guess though.

@Funnyman too

That is an exceptionally good point both of you brought up! There are many sides to the thin/thick blood equation, you can do a bunch of things to influence "viscosity" (if that is the correct term here) of you blood but I'm sure it's possible to knock down the clotting factors, bump up the hydration etc without touching on hematocrit . I'm sure it's possible to have a high hematocrit level and bleed out from an otherwise minor trauma if other levels are not where they should be.

@Funnyman too

That is an exceptionally good point both of you brought up! There are many sides to the thin/thick blood equation, you can do a bunch of things to influence "viscosity" (if that is the correct term here) of you blood but I'm sure it's possible to knock down the clotting factors, bump up the hydration etc without touching on hematocrit . I'm sure it's possible to have a high hematocrit level and bleed out from an otherwise minor trauma if other levels are not where they should be.

Fish oils have a whole host of health benefits specifically in potentially improving cardiovascular health directly and indirectly. One of those being helping to prevent platelets from sticking together. Elevated crit numbers though can be especially problematic since the total load of rbc’s in the blood can cause issues that fish oil aren’t going to help improve in any way though.

Regardless.... I will never dispute the benefits of fish oil supplementation, especially for improving overall cardiovascular health. But to address the issue of elevated hematocrit? For that, it is useless.

DHB might be a good option for older guys. Many call it a tweaked EQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow... I never heard of DHB before... after seeing this suggestion, I did some research. Definitely something I'd want to try.
Not very popular though, I wonder why?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18060378---green tea

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3243695 ----grapefruit

I will never use DECA again, BP goes up, but not dangerously. The main reason is deca-dick, I never experienced it, but never wanted to risk it either.
I used it 300mg weekly for a torn bicep & triceps which I feel it helped heal but for what my goals are now I don't need it.