Routine

Phill93

Trusted Member
Hi guys,

I don't do powerlifting, my routine has always been for bodybuilding. With the covid 19 lockdown I'm forced to train at home with limited equipment.
I have a bench, a power rack, a few dumbells and Olympic barbells and a lot of weight plates so can't really train the way that I'm used to so want to switch over to something that is based more on powerlifting for a while. Any suggestions for a basic routine?
And training frequency?

Regards
Phill93

Not powerlifting but you should be able to set up a:
push
pull
legs
rest
repeat.
and maintain and even grow depending on diet, how much weight you have, etc. You can incorporate a lot of powerlifting movements in this. I don't have a safe squat rack so I squat holding dumbbells and do high reps.

@Goldenrod that's what I've been doing for the last 6weeks. 4 weeks have been on cycle.

Want to do some powerlifting to get strength levels up, don't really need to add any weight or size. I'm around 115 atm, looking to stay at this weight or at least between 115 and 110. If I get any heavier my BP tends to get out of hand, breathing becomes difficult etc. Not worth it for me, my body doesn't want to be that heavy

What rep range and amount of sets would you suggest for the heavy compound movements like bench, deadlift, squat etc? I was thinking about doing between 6-8 sets with between 1 and 4 reps depending on what set.

It's a pity that you don't have a rack for squats, as long as you can maintain its fine though. Hopefully everything will be back to normal again soon

Sheiko training.

Get ready for a few things......

Complete CNS taxation to the extreme.

Learning to hate and dread your favourite big three lifts.

Getting ridiculously strong but also good at those big 3 because of all the repetition.

Sheiko training.

Get ready for a few things......

Complete CNS taxation to the extreme.

Learning to hate and dread your favourite big three lifts.

Getting ridiculously strong but also good at those big 3 because of all the repetition.
Very useful info! Thanks bud, appreciate it.

@Phill93 just wait a few more days bro, I have it on good authority that the world will be totally back to normal by next weekend. It's pretty much the only thing people were talking about at the bus stop today.

@Phill93 just wait a few more days bro, I have it on good authority that the world will be totally back to normal by next weekend. It's pretty much the only thing people were talking about at the bus stop today.
I'm in South Africa at the moment brother. The missus and I will be moving over that side within the next year or two. Just a few formalities to get out of the way.

Here its a different story. They placed us on lockdown with different levels (1-5). We were on level 5 lockdown for a out 5 weeks. Been 2 weeks at level 4 now. Gyms will only open here at level 1...

I own a supplement store so it's pretty depressing times. Our government has a BEEE policy so Caucasian business owners don't have access to any of the relief funds that have been created. They turned it into a whole racial thing.
Still have to pay my full lease at the store and will only be able to trade again at level 2 with sales only probably picking up at level 1 once the gyms reopen.
Realistically we can expect the gyms to reopen somewhere between December and January in South Africa 👎

I'll tough it out with my home workouts though, looking forward to a bit of powerlifting 😁

GO bus or TTC ? If it’s GO then it’s probably true. The TTC is filled with Meth heads so it’s probably only half true.

I'm in South Africa at the moment brother. The missus and I will be moving over that side within the next year or two. Just a few formalities to get out of the way.

Here its a different story. They placed us on lockdown with different levels (1-5). We were on level 5 lockdown for a out 5 weeks. Been 2 weeks at level 4 now. Gyms will only open here at level 1...

I own a supplement store so it's pretty depressing times. Our government has a BEEE policy so Caucasian business owners don't have access to any of the relief funds that have been created. They turned it into a whole racial thing.
Still have to pay my full lease at the store and will only be able to trade again at level 2 with sales only probably picking up at level 1 once the gyms reopen.
Realistically we can expect the gyms to reopen somewhere between December and January in South Africa 👎

I'll tough it out with my home workouts though, looking forward to a bit of powerlifting 😁

I like to think I stay pretty aware of how things are going around the planet but hearing first hand testimonials like this really hits home. More gyms opening soon, a bunch today in fact, in Canada but it will be interesting to see how long they stay open when the second virus wave comes.

Re: your question, I've always had and have seen good results from the 5/3/1 program. Lots of info, spreadsheets and apps out there for it. If you do decide to use it I'd advise sticking to it exactly as written and get your info straight from the source, namely Jim Wendler - https://jimwendler.com/

No need to pay for it as JM has put most of it out there for free (sorry Jim). It's fairly simple compared to most of these programs including Sheiko. If you look into it and need some help give me a shout, I probably have a bunch of info on it on the computer.

Best of luck to you and yours, hang in there.

If you want to start into powerlifting the most important thing is to learn powerlifting technique. If you want to lift heavy technique is critical in injury prevention and getting big lifts. Powerlifting is very taxing also so you tend to eat a lot and put on a lot of muscle. I am not the most powerful however I practiced powerlifting for 15 years and I studied a lot of articles on technique. Some of the best powerlifting articles and video out on the internet in my opinion are Louis Simmons old vhs videos on squat, deadlift and bench. Dave Tates articles on powerlifting are great. Here are a couple of links below of Westside barbell workouts and a link to Dave Tates articles on T-Nation. My best lifts have been 615 deadlift 575 full squat 430 bench, not the most impressive but it was a lot of fun getting to where I got. Lift and enjoy

bench speed day

Max Effort Day

Dave Tate Article
https://www.t-nation.com/all-articles/authors/dave-tate

Reactions: Cog