Protein Consumption

ABMonkey

PCTing.
Trusted Member
How much protein do you consume per day?

I've been doing lots of reading on this topic recently and theres heaps of different opinions out there. I let my protein intake rise a little too much last cycle so am going to play around with macro percentages for the next bulk. Seems JM likes to use 1.25p per lb of BW so I'm going to give this a whirl.

How much protein do you consume per day?

I've been doing lots of reading on this topic recently and theres heaps of different opinions out there. I let my protein intake rise a little too much last cycle so am going to play around with macro percentages for the next bulk. Seems JM likes to use 1.25p per lb of BW so I'm going to give this a whirl.
Imo it depends on your body type.. i went years eating 350-400g of protein and had a hard time putting on weight. It wasnt until I upped my carbs alot that i started gaining. I think 1.25 is a pretty good number

Imo it depends on your body type.. i went years eating 350-400g of protein and had a hard time putting on weight. It wasnt until I upped my carbs alot that i started gaining. I think 1.25 is a pretty good number
6'3, ~220, 20%BF. Struggled for years to put on weight.

Yup, last cycle I upped protein to over 400g/day and now realize that that was just way too much (I think). I'm going to do exactly that.. just watched a bunch of JM material and he essentially says that for protein, .5 per lb of BW for fats and then you make up the rest of your intake with carbs.

There was a time I was taking in 500 grams if protien a day at a bodyweight of 160 lbs. Did that fir years drinking milk and protien powder for most meals.
Got better gains when I dropped my protien down to 1.5-1.25 and added in more fat and carbs. Plus my wife aprectiates it as well, damn I wax stinky, lol.

I thought the amount of protein you consume was based on lean body mass weight. So whatever your weight is minus fat.

So if you're 200 lbs at 15% bodyfat you would consume around 175g pf protein?

I thought the amount of protein you consume was based on lean body mass weight. So whatever your weight is minus fat.

This was my assumption as well. I’m sitting at 235 w/ roughly 14-16% bf and my protein intake at 1.6g is 320g of protein/day spread over 4-6 meals.

@Funnyman, can you shed some light on this? I know there’s more at play here re: protein source, level of activity, etc.

Your right lean weight.

But for the guys that diet for shows, you might want to take in a little extra to keep your mass.....then again that is why gear is perfect when diet.....helps keep the muscle mass that you would lose dieting natural......at least they say.

I have found that focusing on the right mix of macros is better for my body composition then trying to determine the amount of any one.

For me personally (and i have tried a ton of variations) but I like approximately 40 C 30 P 30 F...I usually stay at about 3500 cals per day and i am about 10-12% body fat. (If i did the math 3500/30%=1040 cal or 262g of protein. I am 183 so 1.4g per lbs.)

That said, right now I am upping the cals a bit and @Funnyman got me increasing protein and fats, leaving carbs where they are. We did not aim for a specific percentage , we just reviewed my maintenance diet and added about 300-400 cals per day where it made sense (which turned out to be protein and fats).

Diet was always the hardest thing for me to get into check, trail and error tho.. what works for me is intermittent fasting 20hr fast 4hr eating window, I'm cutting fast and getting bigger too.

When I competed it was 1.25-1.50 grams per pound.

Now after competition, im just having 1 gram per pound.
I totally agree with this! Also funnyman is the main man for diet and nutrition. He has years of education and experience behind him.

Your right lean weight.

But for the guys that diet for shows, you might want to take in a little extra to keep your mass.....then again that is why gear is perfect when diet.....helps keep the muscle mass that you would lose dieting natural......at least they say.[/QUOT

At one time when I counted my protein it was as high as 283 grams per day, when I was 156-164 contest. But when I broken down my protein sources I had about 50 grams of protein that was from incomplete source's like rice, beans, oatmeal, peas, corn, sweet potatoes. I personally don't count second class incomplete proteins.

Diet was always the hardest thing for me to get into check, trail and error tho.. what works for me is intermittent fasting 20hr fast 4hr eating window, I'm cutting fast and getting bigger too.

How in the fuck do you eat in a 4 hour window? I would be light headed, with a pounding headache after 6 hours without eating on a cut.

At first I kinda liked Thomas DeLauer, but the more I watched, he just strikes me as a typical YouTuber. Just a sell out. His “scientific research” doesn’t always seem like credible studies.

How in the fuck do you eat in a 4 hour window? I would be light headed, with a pounding headache after 6 hours without eating on a cut.
Its actually very easy. But during that 4 hr window you gorge on everything. I used to do the wareior diet and its very effective for staying lean. But not ideal for all out mass imo. Belive me, if you eat 4000 calories from 6-10pm.... your not gonna feel like eating when you get up

It's just what works best for me but I'm older and can but on weight very easily before I was eating lots and clean, training hard. I was putting on muscle fast but man my belly was growing too i was looking like a strong man contest guy. This worked for me my belly was gone in 2 weeks and I felt way better having better workouts too. I didnt loose any muscle and now weights are going up and up but I am also on a new blast. The first few days were hard I was very hungry but you get used to it and start feeling way better. My job is suited for this kind of diet too I drive trucks so my job is literally sitting on my ass for 12hrs lol, so if u have an active job would make this diet harder. If your someone who has a hard time putting on weight then not a diet for u but would work for a cut if you wanted to cut extremely fast. I'll eat my daily calories in the 4hr normally just 2 meals after eating a big meal it does make u very tired. I'm not eating 4000 to 6000 calories either only 2500 to 3000 max.. I feel way too stuffed to eat anymore after eating that now.