Procedure to getting bloodwork in Canada?

bigtravdawg

Trusted Member
Hey guys, wasn’t sure what area to post this under but I’m looking for some insight into getting bloodwork done in Canada. Is it free? Is it covered by medical? What are the steps required in order to get it done? Do you need doctors referral or just you just make an appointment at lifelabs or one of those kind of places? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, wasn’t sure what area to post this under but I’m looking for some insight into getting bloodwork done in Canada. Is it free? Is it covered by medical? What are the steps required in order to get it done? Do you need doctors referral or just you just make an appointment at lifelabs or one of those kind of places? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

There should be a thread on letsgetchecked they are having a 20% off sale. I’ll try and find it.

LGC is apparently a fine service, bunch of guys here have used it but with standard Cdn medical coverage (almost?) all the tests a typical member here would want can be taken care of for no fee with a visit to the Dr and a referral from him. Finding the right Dr to help you get what you want or need may be a whole different struggle on it's own however. There is also the option of going to a private TRT clinic or to the states with a place like PrivateMD Labs.

We do have a couple of options here in Canada, lab requisition from a doctor or independant testing through an out of country service called Lets Get Checked.

I've used letsgetchecked and its a great service however I do get regular annual bloodwork ordered by my GP also, It all depends on what your intentions are. Any bloodwork done by a Canadian lab like Lifelabs or Dynacare requires a requisition from a doctor, you cannot simply go and request bloodwork be done whether you would pay out of pocket or not. Almost all blood tests in Canada that are ordered by a doctor are covered under healthcare. Letsgetchecked is a service available to us in Canada but the samples that you draw yourself are then shipped via UPS to a lab in the United Kingdom that is not covered & is out of pocket totally.

I suggest that you request bloodwork through a doctor especially if you haven't had any regular testing or checkups, if you don't have one you can always just goto a walk-in clinic. Almost any doctor is not just going to give you a requisition without you having a complaint, concern, or if you exhibit symptoms for which bloodwork would be warranted. Age plays a factor too as they tend to screen or do annual examinations that include bloodwork for those of us that are getting older. The benefit of using the doctor route is if there is an issue then they will do follow up tests to confirm and actually be able to help you if something is wrong.

I have used letsgetchecked for additional and anonymous testing that I did not want on my medical record.

We do have a couple of options here in Canada, lab requisition from a doctor or independant testing through an out of country service called Lets Get Checked.

I've used letsgetchecked and its a great service however I do get regular annual bloodwork ordered by my GP also, It all depends on what your intentions are. Any bloodwork done by a Canadian lab like Lifelabs or Dynacare requires a requisition from a doctor, you cannot simply go and request bloodwork be done whether you would pay out of pocket or not. Almost all blood tests in Canada that are ordered by a doctor are covered under healthcare. Letsgetchecked is a service available to us in Canada but the samples that you draw yourself are then shipped via UPS to a lab in the United Kingdom that is not covered & is out of pocket totally.

I suggest that you request bloodwork through a doctor especially if you haven't had any regular testing or checkups, if you don't have one you can always just goto a walk-in clinic. Almost any doctor is not just going to give you a requisition without you having a complaint, concern, or if you exhibit symptoms for which bloodwork would be warranted. Age plays a factor too as they tend to screen or do annual examinations that include bloodwork for those of us that are getting older. The benefit of using the doctor route is if there is an issue then they will do follow up tests to confirm and actually be able to help you if something is wrong.

I have used letsgetchecked for additional and anonymous testing that I did not want on my medical record.

This might be really ignorant question so please be patient with me, but when you say draw the samples ourself, how much blood is needed to send off for a sample using lifelabs? Or what’s the process with that

Its with "letsgetchecked" where you draw the blood yourself. I don't know the exact amount but it is just a simple finger prick and a few drops of blood....probably 5ml or so would be my guess.

Its with "letsgetchecked" where you draw the blood yourself. I don't know the exact amount but it is just a simple finger prick and a few drops of blood....probably 5ml or so would be my guess.

Yeah I checked out the thread posted by Castle. Looks like checking your blood sugar. Pretty simple straight forward stuff. Thanks guys

Go to your your doctor and tell them honesty what you’re doing and if you’re scared about having it these in your medical record, tell that to your doctor and they’ll record it as a routine check up. But my doctor said 3 lab tests for the blood work I want spread in 12-20 weeks is acceptable but anything more is fishy he said. You gotta keep visiting doctors until you find the right person who is willing to work with you because they want to help you. A lot of judging by a lot of doctors, especially if you do your own due diligence. Good luck.

Can someone tell me the risks associated with having this stuff on your medical record? Using AAS isn’t committing a crime, and only some work places ask for a piss test not your medical record. I’m not trying to disrespect, but it seems like there so much fear surrounding this topic and I would like to learn please. Also, protect myself from future mess ups.

Go to your your doctor and tell them honesty what you’re doing and if you’re scared about having it these in your medical record, tell that to your doctor and they’ll record it as a routine check up. But my doctor said 3 lab tests for the blood work I want spread in 12-20 weeks is acceptable but anything more is fishy he said. You gotta keep visiting doctors until you find the right person who is willing to work with you because they want to help you. A lot of judging by a lot of doctors, especially if you do your own due diligence. Good luck.

Can someone tell me the risks associated with having this stuff on your medical record? Using AAS isn’t committing a crime, and only some work places ask for a piss test not your medical record. I’m not trying to disrespect, but it seems like there so much fear surrounding this topic and I would like to learn please. Also, protect myself from future mess ups.

The largest is insurance companies can turn you down for life insurance.

The largest is insurance companies can turn you down for life insurance.

Just added another life insurance policy and was asked if I was on trt or ever been diagnosed with hypogonadism. Not a chance my doc is ever getting a blood test when I’m on. Just for the small possibility the insurance company can access my medical records.

Even if they don’t to give you the policy. Guaranteed they’ll go through your records if something (god forbid) ever happens to you. Insurance companies will always look for a loop hole to get out of paying.

So say you run blood tests while on, they are part of your record forever. In the event you have a heart attack or stroke or something. They’ll do their damnedest to prove that that blood test shows you lied on some form therefore they aren’t paying out.

Wow, holy shit!!

I had never thought of insurance companies :poop:. Was in a car accident once, since then I disliked the way they operate and treat claims.

Thanks guys.

Yeah don't go to the doctor whilst being on cycle. Regardless of what they say I wouldn't trust them not to put something on your records. They inevitably have to cover themselves too.

There are two options to do it anonymously:

1. Letsgetchecked
2. PrivateMD (if you live close to the states you can just cross the border and get whatever bloods you like. Really awesome service)

Yeah don't go to the doctor whilst being on cycle. Regardless of what they say I wouldn't trust them not to put something on your records. They inevitably have to cover themselves too.

1. Letsgetchecked
2. PrivateMD (if you live close to the states you can just cross the border and get whatever bloods you like. Really awesome service)

Hey!! Good stuff, turns out im a hour away from one just across the border!

1. Letsgetchecked

Are there any other req for PrivateMD? Appointments ID etc? How do you get your results? Mail I’m assuming.... sorry if these are dumb questions

Are there any other req for PrivateMD? Appointments ID etc? How do you get your results? Mail I’m assuming.... sorry if these are dumb questions

I think you recieve them online now but I'm not going to lie, I know nothing about PrivateMD other than the bare bones.

Maybe @gondar1 can assist here.

Possibly out of date as I haven't used them in a long while now but here are some quotes from previous posts -

"You call them with your info, hit the bank to pay them (cash), call them back with bank transfer info then they fax orders to labcorp, you show up at labcorp and get poked (included in price), you go home and watch your email for the results to show up."

"PrivateMD Labs is not as private anymore
I have posted before that they do not require a real name or address or ID.

I can confirm that as of this writing that now you will be required to show ID at the lab so you will need to use your real name and that you must provide an american address to submit your order. The address of the hotel you are staying at while working in the area will suffice. (catch the hint here :) )

They will still e-mail you the results, the results do not need to be sent to the address that you provided. You can still pay via cash at the Bank of America and then provide transfer and deposit info to them to complete your order. Also discount codes are slightly less of a discount when ordering on the phone vs over the internet."

give them a call, tell them you are new, ask for instructions, ask everything you can think of as it's all hypothetical at this point. no need to commit or give any info on that first call, just gather relevant info so you are well prepared for when you do call to make an order