Meh it’s only 10,000 Jobs...Trudeau strikes again

Like Coq said, let's make this about jobs again. I'll create a hopefully level headed thread on energy.

Jobs to me are a problem because it's always a sector that's behind. If 20,000 people move here from let's say Iraq...out of 20,000 maybe 15,000 are employable and are of an age that should be working to provide for their families. It's that lag to make food for them, make houses for them, make cars for them and so on. We're always 3-5 years behind and it's that lag that lowers the opportunity of taking ADVANTAGE of our new often extremely hard-working immigrants when they're not twisted by our lazy ways while they waited for a job or to get their red card so they're allowed to work.

I have a friend who runs a smaller house construction company for new developments around Toronto. His crews are LOADED with people from Iran and Iraq because they work like people USED to work like in Canada. Before they needed to take five water breaks an hour to sip from a bottle in 20C weather. Got nice big bottles strapped to the back of their pants and three big watercoolers down on the bed of a pickup for refils.

No problems if they clock out at 4:30 SHARP every single frigging day vs. maybe 4:46(PAID) if they missed a target for a form and a load of concrete is coming in the next morning at 8:00 SHARP. Not 8:15, while the form is finally finished as the concrete cures inside the truck and the truck, gets behind because they missed a target from their damn water breaks.

He hasn't had any Chinese workers but he's rubbing his hands together because a Chinese construction worker will work 12 strong hours. It would obviously be paid but they'll do it because they want something done and see PRIDE in getting it done quickly. I sadly think we've lost some of that pride. That fire and will to get jobs done quickly and right.

And with that, we kind of expose the problem. A LOT of people in Canada don't really want to work hard anymore. Construction and trades can't get enough workers because everybody thinks they're an office worker and construction and trades are "below" them despite them having 12 straight ancestors that did construction and basically made it possible for them to work in Canada. They LAUGH at the poor guys outside in the heat who have to work and put harder hours in while they take THEIR 5 water breaks inside an office.
Let us ask Storman if his guys can go home early when the site isn't ready for concrete in the morning.I know I don't.

At the plant I work at you would be surprised at how many people with full time jobs treat it like its a part time job. They call in all the time. We are just starting the 3rd month of this year and there are people with 8+ call ins all ready. It just floors me. I guess if you live in your moms basement then you don't need a regular consistent pay cheque..lol I havent missed 3 days of work in the three years I have worked there.

This I completely agree with you on.
My staff is good hard workers because I train that into them, but most sure do not have that work ethic when they start.
But then when they are hard workers they pride themselves in that and how others are weak.

They give welfare way too easily. About 4 years ago, I hired 2 people (different times) that were previously collecting welfare, they worked one day, then stated, ‘oh I didn’t know I had to work this hard, thought I was going to stand at a till, I’ll go back to welfare”. Then quit.
We work hard, but not that hard.

My favourite is everyone wants time off, but then complains that they don’t make enough money, lol.

Yup. "Here, guy who gets $1100 a month to just slightly touch employment before admitted defeat to the welfare office who queues another $1100 up for him to get next month while he pays like $600 to his buddy for to stay with him. I've seen this WAY too many times!

Let us ask Storman if his guys can go home early when the site isn't ready for concrete in the morning.I know I don't.
No no I mean that they wouldn't work 16 minutes later on the clock at night to get a form done to save their lives so when the concrete shows up, the site is not ready. We could easily extend this out to an hour where a contractor is SHITTING because if you're an hour behind for concrete in the morning, it's my understand the dude moves on because he has a day to do. I'd be REALLY surprised if he didn't throw you the middle and leave.

At the plant I work at you would be surprised at how many people with full time jobs treat it like its a part time job. They call in all the time. We are just starting the 3rd month of this year and there are people with 8+ call ins all ready. It just floors me. I guess if you live in your moms basement then you don't need a regular consistent pay cheque..lol I havent missed 3 days of work in the three years I have worked there.
My son just started a full-time job at a food production plant about five months ago. The problem? SEASONAL. SEASONAL meaning they can and will fuck you up the ass as necessary. (they produce ice cream products)

Two weeks ago? A part broke and some things we''re cleaned and he was given a two week no expenses paid 2 week layoff right out of the blue. Expenses? Fuck em, what expenses, Mr and Mrs Worker? New baby? Hope she/he stops shitting and oh yes, eating too. School and credit card repayment requirements or your credit card score take a royal dump? Huh, maybe Jesus will pay them for you?

This isn't all worker-related is what I'm saying. Some plants are sinching their belts a little too tight and hardworking workers are paying for it too. You couldn't pull that shit ten years ago or someone would light the plant on fire.

Yup. "Here, guy who gets $1100 a month to just slightly touch employment before admitted defeat to the welfare office who queues another $1100 up for him to get next month while he pays like $600 to his buddy for to stay with him. I've seen this WAY too many times!
Isn’t $1100 disability and $638 fir welfare? My stepson has been on the system for 8 years.
I know you don’t have to look for work, or provide proof of trying for welfare, and especially not for disability.
I still don’t see how someone can live off that amount either way.
Even at min wage full time you’ll make over double, especially now at $15 and hour.

My son just started a full-time job at a food production plant about five months ago. The problem? SEASONAL. SEASONAL meaning they can and will fuck you up the ass as necessary. (they produce ice cream products)

Two weeks ago? A part broke and some things we''re cleaned and he was given a two week no expenses paid 2 week layoff right out of the blue. Expenses? Fuck em, what expenses, Mr and Mrs Worker? New baby? Hope she/he stops shitting and oh yes, eating too. School and credit card repayment requirements or your credit card score take a royal dump? Huh, maybe Jesus will pay them for you?

This isn't all worker-related is what I'm saying. Some plants are sinching their belts a little too tight and hardworking workers are paying for it too. You couldn't pull that shit ten years ago or someone would light the plant on fire.

I don’t understand, did your son break a piece of equipment? Or did a piece of equipment break and they have no work for him till they get it working again?

Isn’t $1100 disability and $638 fir welfare? My stepson has been on the system for 8 years.
I know you don’t have to look for work, or provide proof of trying for welfare, and especially not for disability.
I still don’t see how someone can live off that amount either way.
Even at min wage full time you’ll make over double, especially now at $15 and hour.

Sorry, it's $800(1100 disability...got them mixed up) here and yes if you are on welfare, you need to provide a list of places you have visited and applied for work. They expect so many contacts or you don't get paid. No no, they don't let you just pick up a check. Not for a very long time. I'm not sure but SOON they'll be drug testing them too. That'll change a few people's lives I bet. If you ask me, putting a lot of people riding the rail of welfare on a drug AND alcohol test will result in quite a number either failing off the program or fixing what could be causing the problem in the first place (they'll have rehab of course). The alternative is a homeless shelter and for most, thats no choice at all sooo perhaps the job to get a job is done a little bit better.

I don’t understand, did your son break a piece of equipment? Or did a piece of equipment break and they have no work for him till they get it working again?

Equipment broke and took his line down. They had no work for him and another ten people so they were told to stay at home until they got a call. Unfrigging real despite the status of your employment. Workers standing around is no joke but paying in the wallet for something out of your hands doesn't sit right with me at all.

Sorry, it's $800(1100 disability...got them mixed up) here and yes if you are on welfare, you need to provide a list of places you have visited and applied for work. They expect so many contacts or you don't get paid. No no, they don't let you just pick up a check. Not for a very long time. I'm not sure but SOON they'll be drug testing them too. That'll change a few people's lives I bet. If you ask me, putting a lot of people riding the rail of welfare on a drug AND alcohol test will result in quite a number either failing off the program or fixing what could be causing the problem in the first place (they'll have rehab of course). The alternative is a homeless shelter and for most, thats no choice at all sooo perhaps the job to get a job is done a little bit better.
So Ford is threatening to drug test for a cheque?Should have been done years ago.We have an immense disability by drugs and alcohol problem.Bush camps I say.Van would also be a prime candidate but it will never happen.

Reactions: 3ml
They must have raised welfare and changed it. My stepson is on disability so he doesn’t have to apply for work because they told him that work likely would be too stressful for him. He has drug induced schetzfrenia. (I’m sorry my spelling sucks and spellcheck didn’t fix that). He abused himself with too much meth, E and a few others.
There is way too many people that have grown up in the system. Since being exposed to it, because people on the system live in similar housing, I have realized that a lot grow up in it. Their parent or parents were on it, then they use it.
But most are normal people that don’t enjoy the compounds of structure in a job. They may work temp, but then quit because they don't like being told what to do, or criticized for the work effort,
You know I never heard one talk about looking for work.
I know when our grandson first lived with us, we got a small amount from welfare, CAS told us to go to the Ontario works and that we would get something. We really didn’t need it, but placed the $150 a month into a school fund, but it was nice have free dental and eye care. We were told that they loved people like us, that save them a fortune instead of foster care, said we would revived it until he was 18. Anyhow Whynn changed it a few years ago and we got cut off. Had nothing to do with income, the worker mentioned that they were cutting off family members that take the child. I feel bad for the ones that can barely afford to take them, that now are cut off.

Apparently meth addicts here get a special designation and more money from the gov.Great incentives to offer people.

Apparently meth addicts here get a special designation and more money from the gov.Great incentives to offer people.
You know I never thought this way before, but thinking back at how my grandson was, I would bet people who are a certain way in their mental state are more susceptible.
My brothers smoked crack with him once (I know rules, but won’t mention it again, just stating it for context) and then my brother said it was the most evil thing he had ever done, he craved it for weeks. See my brother didn’t get addicted because he has a different personality.
So what I, about to say goes against what I used to believe, but I bet if we put the money into mental health for the addicts, when they first start, it would greatly reduce the amount of addicts.
Now when they hit a certain stage, I’m sorry but IMO it’s a lost cause, once the brain has been damage/rewired enough, I this it’s irreversible. My step son is one of those cases. His thought formulation even when he’s not been doing drugs for a while is really damaged. More like a mentally challenged 6 year old. It’s so sad because he wasn’t like that, we were best buddies for 2 years, but slowly drifted apart, then he got back in the drugs but ones with a more damaging effect.

Also I have no idea what the whole answer is.
Btw, the most they get is disability, if they got more, me stepson would be getting it. So $1100 a month. Almost impossible to live off of. If they choose to live in the shelter, they take part of their check that is the living allowance, I can’t remember but I think it only leaves them with $600. Tough to live off that a month. Now I’d bet some would try to work, but truthfully some can’t. They also allow them to work a certain amount before pairing back the check.

I bet a lot have confidence issues.

Equipment broke and took his line down. They had no work for him and another ten people so they were told to stay at home until they got a call. Unfrigging real despite the status of your employment. Workers standing around is no joke but paying in the wallet for something out of your hands doesn't sit right with me at all.
I am trying to understand your reasoning. So if I at my shop, something happens where my business drops, or a piece of equipment that someone runs breaks, and will take weeks to repair, I’m still supposed to pay them to just hang out and sweep the floor?
I have this feeling you don’t really understand how business and profits work.

BTW kids lie all the time, maybe he was underperforming and they laid him off, but he doesn’t want to admit this to you.
I had a student once that lied to his dad, his dad came in yelling at me, I explained what really happened, and he apologized and walked out. His son has lied because he didn’t want his dad to know that he called in sick, showed up late and was not self motivated.

Also if business slows, or something out of my control happens, I always keep my best employees. Not sure what it’s like in a large production plant though, Musclememory would know better.

I've only ever worked one place that held on to its employees when things were slow. They are the last carpet tile manufacture in Canada and once an employee is trained they dont lay them off when things are slow because they know doing so will mean retraining new employees when things speed back up. Its a very specific skill set and they know it. Other than that place all other have laid me off when things were slow. Its jut the way it is.

You know I never thought this way before, but thinking back at how my grandson was, I would bet people who are a certain way in their mental state are more susceptible.
My brothers smoked crack with him once (I know rules, but won’t mention it again, just stating it for context) and then my brother said it was the most evil thing he had ever done, he craved it for weeks. See my brother didn’t get addicted because he has a different personality.
So what I, about to say goes against what I used to believe, but I bet if we put the money into mental health for the addicts, when they first start, it would greatly reduce the amount of addicts.
Now when they hit a certain stage, I’m sorry but IMO it’s a lost cause, once the brain has been damage/rewired enough, I this it’s irreversible. My step son is one of those cases. His thought formulation even when he’s not been doing drugs for a while is really damaged. More like a mentally challenged 6 year old. It’s so sad because he wasn’t like that, we were best buddies for 2 years, but slowly drifted apart, then he got back in the drugs but ones with a more damaging effect.

Also I have no idea what the whole answer is.
Btw, the most they get is disability, if they got more, me stepson would be getting it. So $1100 a month. Almost impossible to live off of. If they choose to live in the shelter, they take part of their check that is the living allowance, I can’t remember but I think it only leaves them with $600. Tough to live off that a month. Now I’d bet some would try to work, but truthfully some can’t. They also allow them to work a certain amount before pairing back the check.

I bet a lot have confidence issues.
It is tough to live off that.Which is why you clean up a place and find out that 23 people were living in a three bedroom rental and the place is filled with discarded needles and stolen items of all manner.

I've only ever worked one place that held on to its employees when things were slow. They are the last carpet tile manufacture in Canada and once an employee is trained they dont lay them off when things are slow because they know doing so will mean retraining new employees when things speed back up. Its a very specific skill set and they know it. Other than that place all other have laid me off when things were slow. Its jut the way it is.
Thx for chiming in.