Kidney Health

WinnipegMuscle

Trusted Member
Given my use of AAS, I like to check kidney function on an annual basis. My last test results for Creatinine came in at 116 micromoles per liter which was flagged as a high result. I am curious if this result is at point where I should stop AAS use or just continue to monitor annually. Or put another way, what is the max number that
we would want to see here? What do others who are on AAS have for this test result?

WM

Nephros deal with Creatinine levels in the 1000's. Your numbers are probably high due to the influence of muscle mass and high protein intake. Just having a marker of 116, without high urea, or an urine albumin creatinine ratio that is high, resulting in a lowered eGFR is not too much to worry about.
What is your eGFR?

Thanks Bagua for the help. I will find out my eGFR and let ya know.

Nephros deal with Creatinine levels in the 1000's. Your numbers are probably high due to the influence of muscle mass and high protein intake. Just having a marker of 116, without high urea, or an urine albumin creatinine ratio that is high, resulting in a lowered eGFR is not too much to worry about.
What is your eGFR?

Given my use of AAS, I like to check kidney function on an annual basis. My last test results for Creatinine came in at 116 micromoles per liter which was flagged as a high result. I am curious if this result is at point where I should stop AAS use or just continue to monitor annually. Or put another way, what is the max number that
we would want to see here? What do others who are on AAS have for this test result?

WM

Similar to what Bagua said, Creatinine is a biproduct released from muscle, thus it WILL be higher if you have a higher proportion of skeletal muscle.
The CLEARANCE of this biproduct is what your interested in, and that is impacted by your kidney function (reported as a Creatinine Clearance or Glomerular Filtration Rate... these are not quite the same thing, but similar)

A SCr of 116 is almost certainly of no consequence. It would be more valuable for me to know what your prior values have been and if rising creatinine is a trend for you....
Also keep in mind many things will affect your clearance rate, including if you were a bit dehydrated or dry on the day of the test... Ultimately you kidneys regulate fluid balance, so keep that in mind. If your prior SCr was 112, thats NOT significant increase.... I would be interested in your prior SCr was like 70 or 80....

Unless you are a diabetic, or have some other kidney disease in the background that you havent mentioned, I dont see a requirement to get your kidney function tested on an annual basis either... Either way just my $0.02

My eGFR is greater than 60 so all looks good. The creatinine levels over the past 4 years have been fairly consistent so sounds like all is good for now. Thanks for the help Bags and Peter.

For those that may not know, you can request copies of all of your lab work through eChart if you are interested. Not sure the process from province to province but in Manitoba I filled out a form and faxed the request and recieved my lab results from 2014 to 2019 in just over a week.

Btw, Tudac will help kidneys.
I only know this because I ran an experiment on my wife’s mother’s boyfriend, he is 89 and to quote him, “everything in my body is slowly failing me”

So at Christmas he was telling me that his doctor had told him his kidneys were slowly failing.
So I didn’t use a bottle of Tudac I had bought a year before for an issue with kidneys I thought I had but didn’t, so I gave it to him, and explained how to take it.

Anyhow he was over last weekend, now one of his eyes has demacular degeneration. Has been getting shots in his eye for a while, but it’s getting worse. I think he forgot I gave him the pills he took, but anyhow he says, “yeah doctor says my kidneys are fine now, but now my eyesight is going”

Coincidence maybe, but I don’t know, the timing seems weird.

I use kidney stuff religiously, as well as 4-6 grams of astragalus daily, especially running those high tren blasts😉. Matt Jansen has a supplement company called revive I believe, and they are set to release a great kidney support supplement as well.

I use kidney stuff religiously, as well as 4-6 grams of astragalus daily, especially running those high tren blasts😉. Matt Jansen has a supplement company called revive I believe, and they are set to release a great kidney support supplement as well.
Yeah, astragalus is supposed to be the best thing.
I really should include it in my regiment. Where do you buy it, just Shoppers or something like that?

Yeah, astragalus is supposed to be the best thing.
I really should include it in my regiment. Where do you buy it, just Shoppers or something like that?
I get my astragalus at our local health food store. I follow Dante Trudel on Instagram, he’s part owner of true nutrition, his posts about everything is top notch, especially the supplement he’s used over the years to help body builders maintain overall health etc

I bought “now” brand astragalus at a herbal store for 10 bucks a bottle. You have to be careful with astragalus. It has to be the root and a lot of cheap versions, especially bulk stuff is fake.

Do you know a Canadian supplier of kidney stuff? The only thing I can find is 300bucks USA for 6 months supply.

Do you know a Canadian supplier of kidney stuff? The only thing I can find is 300bucks USA for 6 months supply.
No , I get mine sent to my P.O. Box in the states , the company that manufactures kidney stuff won’t ship to Canada . You can get 1, 2, 3 month supplies, it’s def not cheap but it works well

Again, without getting into details, I see a lot of renal disease and am unaware of any evidence supporting the use of tudac or astragalus in acute or chronic kidney failure and therefore would recommend AGAINST the use of either. Urso (a form of tudac) is used for some disorders of cholestasis, but thats a different topic completely and unrelated to this thread.

@WinnipegMuscle You looked back at your creatinine, and the trend has been stable. I dont think you have anything to be concerned about at this time. Keep monitoring semi-regularly and keep us posted.

Again, without getting into details, I see a lot of renal disease and am unaware of any evidence supporting the use of tudac or astragalus in acute or chronic kidney failure and therefore would recommend AGAINST the use of either. Urso (a form of tudac) is used for some disorders of cholestasis, but thats a different topic completely and unrelated to this thread.

@WinnipegMuscle You looked back at your creatinine, and the trend has been stable. I dont think you have anything to be concerned about at this time. Keep monitoring semi-regularly and keep us posted.
Would BP be the number one issue to keep in check regarding kidney health Peter or is that too simplistic?

Would BP be the number one issue to keep in check regarding kidney health Peter or is that too simplistic?

MANY reasons for kidney disease, most common being diabetes by far.
In general, most of the people on here will have slightly LOWER GFR's due to increased creatinine from higher muscle mass.... This is normal, and not to be concerned about. Just monitor things semi-regularly (assuming you are otherwise healthy and dont have other underlying medical conditions) and dont stress about it.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me details

Reactions: Cog
I got check last week and my creatine was 117 with a egfr of 67. Now I did a fairly high volume workout that morning before my bloodwork, so that might of had an impact. Typically my egfr ranges between high 60s and mid 70s. My pee came out perfect. This is a new doctor so I’m not sure if she will want to do it again. She said she would call me if there is any problems, she hasn’t so I'm-not worried.

I am going to take 3GS of astragalus a day as a little experiment to see if it does have an effect on my next bloods. Dante claims he got a guy with an egfr of 20 up to 58 with it.

OP. Not to freak you out. But my creatinine level was 114 when they found my kidney disease...... anything over 110 is considered high. And generally because we carry extra muscle people say that slightly elevated levels are normal.......

I am going to take 3GS of astragalus a day as a little experiment to see if it does have an effect on my next bloods. Dante claims he got a guy with an egfr of 20 up to 58 with it.

Did the astragalus drop your numbers at all?