How I buy a truck.

Taureau

Administrator
This is how I buy a truck. Although not tested I am sure it will work for buying a car as well.

The last time I went truck shopping I found the truck I wanted. Then using the internet I did the price comparisons on all the other trucks I liked within a hundred kilometer distance of me. I then sent all those dealers the details on the truck I wanted and asking for their best prices on the truck I liked that they had in stock. Once I had all my information gathered I went into the dealer that had the truck I wanted at 10 am in the morning which left me lots of time to make a deal before any offices closed. I went in with my cell phone full charged, my charger in case I needed it, my print outs of all the other trucks used for comparisons and my lunch.

I introduced myself to the agent that I had talked to on the phone and he took me to his office. He had two desks in his office. One was his office desk and the other became my office. I then told him which truck I wanted and the price I was willing to pay. The truck I wanted had been used that last winter as a plow truck and had 11k on it. It was in pristine shape with every last option possible. It was also a single cab with out an extended cab. It is a favorite of farmers but not of everyone that has a family or tools so they want an extended cab. For that reason the truck had been for sale for a long time. And the timing was right because it was last years model and this years models where out with good deals to be had on them because in only a few weeks a new model year would be out. So it was new but not new on paper :)

Once I told him the price I wanted to pay he went off to talk to the sales manager and came back 20 minutes or so latter with a price that was not what I told him I would pay. I then laid out all the print outs I had for the other trucks I was interested in and I had the price offer of each highlighted. I told him again the price I was willing to pay. He then took some of those print outs to his sales manager and came back with a bit better price. I then put my feet up and relaxed and started to call the other dealers and let then know where I was and the price I had on the truck I wanted. They of course wanted me to come in and I said if they are close to the price I want to pay and this dealer is not close I will move to their office but for now they can only reach me via phone. This back and forth of them making a offer and my truck guy heading off to see the sales manager went on for several hours. It was then lunch time so I broke out my lunch and offered the guy the extra sandwich I brought for him. lol

After my lunch went back to work with the back and forth. By this time the sales manager is right here in the guys office trying to talk me into a higher price. I told the guy if you cannot meet my price tell me and I will go to the other dealer.

Well the entire process took 6 hours but in the end I got the truck I wanted with a sticker price of 62k marked down because it had 11,000 kilometers on it to 59k for 42k.

Gawd that sounds like my wife, she's a brutal negotiator! When I bought my truck she did the negotiating, she brought her lap top told them which truck and what she was going to pay for it, opened her lap top and went to work. The whole sales rep going to see the manager is a thing with her and whenever the rep came back with a counter offer she'd literally wave him off and continue working, its hilarious to watch.

No offense, heres how I buy a truck

I save up enough cash to pay for it with a bank draft before I even start looking.

I avoid dealers, too much money goes to middle man.

I hit local buy and sell websites and I also go on facebook and put an add like "WTB mid 2000 Chev/GMC 3/4 crew cab 4x4. no more than X km's ".

I compare all the websites/ads and make a couple calls. I ask quesitons like how many owners, how old is the owner currently, what was it used for, maintence records etc.. Then I tell them if the truck is as they say it is my of
This is how I buy a truck. Although not tested I am sure it will work for buying a car as well.

The last time I went truck shopping I found the truck I wanted. Then using the internet I did the price comparisons on all the other trucks I liked within a hundred kilometer distance of me. I then sent all those dealers the details on the truck I wanted and asking for their best prices on the truck I liked that they had in stock. Once I had all my information gathered I went into the dealer that had the truck I wanted at 10 am in the morning which left me lots of time to make a deal before any offices closed. I went in with my cell phone full charged, my charger in case I needed it, my print outs of all the other trucks used for comparisons and my lunch.

I introduced myself to the agent that I had talked to on the phone and he took me to his office. He had two desks in his office. One was his office desk and the other became my office. I then told him which truck I wanted and the price I was willing to pay. The truck I wanted had been used that last winter as a plow truck and had 11k on it. It was in pristine shape with every last option possible. It was also a single cab with out an extended cab. It is a favorite of farmers but not of everyone that has a family or tools so they want an extended cab. For that reason the truck had been for sale for a long time. And the timing was right because it was last years model and this years models where out with good deals to be had on them because in only a few weeks a new model year would be out. So it was new but not new on paper :)

Once I told him the price I wanted to pay he went off to talk to the sales manager and came back 20 minutes or so latter with a price that was not what I told him I would pay. I then laid out all the print outs I had for the other trucks I was interested in and I had the price offer of each highlighted. I told him again the price I was willing to pay. He then took some of those print outs to his sales manager and came back with a bit better price. I then put my feet up and relaxed and started to call the other dealers and let then know where I was and the price I had on the truck I wanted. They of course wanted me to come in and I said if they are close to the price I want to pay and this dealer is not close I will move to their office but for now they can only reach me via phone. This back and forth of them making a offer and my truck guy heading off to see the sales manager went on for several hours. It was then lunch time so I broke out my lunch and offered the guy the extra sandwich I brought for him. lol

After my lunch went back to work with the back and forth. By this time the sales manager is right here in the guys office trying to talk me into a higher price. I told the guy if you cannot meet my price tell me and I will go to the other dealer.

Well the entire process took 6 hours but in the end I got the truck I wanted with a sticker price of 62k marked down because it had 11,000 kilometers on it to 59k for 42k.

holy I'd never pay more than 25k for a truck, but thats just me.

I no longer go to dealers.. too many ppl involved in the sale of the truck and they each get a cut and I can't get a good feeling of who owned the truck before.

Now I save up enough cash to pay cash for the truck I want before I even go looking. Then I use on line or sale ads/facebook. I look for one owner trucks, no accidents, good maintence records and the one and only owner being a middle aged man who isn't a douche. I try to get to know them a bit on the phone to get a sense of how greasy they are. When I find a person I am comfortable with, we negoiate a bit. If we agree on a price based on the truck is as they say it is, then I go drive down to see the truck. If the guy can talk to me like a person and not a saleman and shake my hand I buy the truck. I don't mind pay a bit more to buy from a guy who will shake my hand and let me in his house where he raises his family etc.. I've had good luck on my last 2 trucks doing this.

Buying a private sale with one owner trucks also gives you the ability to search the owner up on facebook to see what kinda guy they are. One truck I made a call about I didn't go look at the truck because I found the guy on facebook and saw he was a douche lol... I recall pictures of him drinking and smashing a snowmobile up. It was enough to tell me how the treats his belongings.

The last guy I bought a truck from introduced me to his 2 little boys, invited me into his house, he had the truck washed and waxed before I got there, we had a good chat about various things besides the truck.. Then he tossed me the keys and told me to take it for a drive for an hour or so.. He didn't ask me to leave my wallet, keys etc..
I took the truck for a drive and liked it.. when I got back to his house he was a bit off.. I asked him whats up and he said he had a bit of sellers remorse.. He said he bought it brand new for 74K, but it was also the truck he brought both his boys home from the hospital in when they were born, it took them and their 5th wheel on many family vacations etc.. I told him if he changed his mind it doesn't bother me.. He told me he had to sell it because he already ordered a brand new truck. I bought the truck and that was 5 years ago and still own it.. No major issues. Last summer he sent me a text and asked me if I would sell the truck back to him. Said he it was the best truck he's ever owned and he wants to downsize. I told him no because I still really like it. Very decent guy.

currently in the process of trading in the honda accord for an f-260 crew cab 4 door.... harder to find at 2010