HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin)

Posted back in 2009. A bit dated but good info and works well for me. If you want to skip all the details you can jump down the the “recap” portion of the post. This post is not mine, just a copy and paste for anyone interested.

Part 1 of 2

HCG – Unraveled
Posted on October 11, 2009 by Eric Potratz

Post-Cycle-Therapy is a must upon cessation of steroid use. Many great Post Cycle Therapy protocols have been outlined over the years, and many individuals have had success with following such protocols. Nevertheless, what works can always work better, and I intend to show you the most effective way to recover from AAS. This is especially the case for those that have had a lack of success following popular advice. In this article I will address the misunderstanding and misuse of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) and show you the most efficient way to use hCG for the fastest and most complete recovery.

HCG unraveled –

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) is a peptide hormone that mimics the action of luteinizing hormone (LH). LH is the hormone that stimulates the testes to increase testosterone levels. (1) More specifically LH is the primary signal sent from the pituitary to the testes, which stimulates the leydig cells within the testes to produce testosterone.

When steroids are administered, LH levels rapidly decline. The absence of an LH signal from the pituitary causes the testes to stop producing testosterone, which causes rapid onset of testicular degeneration. The testicular degeneration begins with a reduction of leydig cell volume, and is then followed by rapid reductions in intra-testicular testosterone (ITT), peroxisomes, and Insulin-like factor 3 (INSL3) – All important bio-markers and factors for proper testicular function and testosterone production. (2-6,19) However, this degeneration can be prevented by a small maintenance dose of hCG ran throughout the cycle. Unfortunately, most steroid users have been engrained to believe that hCG should be used after a cycle, during Post-Cycle-Therapy. Upon reviewing the science and basic endocrinology you will see that a faster and more complete recovery is possible if hCG is ran during a cycle.

Firstly, we must understand the clinical history of hCG to understand its purpose and its most efficient application. Many popular “steroid profiles” advocate using hCG at a dose of 2500-5000iu once or twice a week. These were the kind of dosages used in the historical (1960?s) hCG studies for hypogonadal men who had reduced testicular sensitivity due to prolonged LH deficiency. (21,22) A prolonged LH deficiency causes the testes to desensitize, requiring a higher hCG dose for ample stimulation. In men with normal LH levels and normal testicular sensitivity, the maximum increase of testosterone is seen from a dose of only 250iu, with minimal increases obtained from 500iu or even 5000iu. (2,11) (It appears the testes maximum secretion of testosterone is about 140% above their normal capacity.) (12-18) If you have allowed your testes to desensitize over the length of a typical steroid cycle, (8-16 weeks) then you would require a higher dose to elicit a response in an attempt to restore normal testicular size and function – but there is cost to this, and a high probability that you won’t regain full testicular function.

One term that is critical to understand is testosterone secretion capacity which is synonymous to testicular sensitivity. This is the amount of testosterone your testes can produce from any given level of LH or hCG stimulation. Therefore, if you have reduced testosterone secretion capacity (reduced testicular sensitivity), it will take more LH or hCG stimulation to produce the same result as if you had normal testosterone secretion capacity. If you reduce your testosterone secretion capacity too much, then no amount of LH or hCG stimulation will trigger natural testosterone production – and this leads to permanently reduced testosterone production. (recovering full testosterone production is a topic for another article)

To get an idea of how quickly you can reduce your testosterone secretion capacity from your average steroid cycle, consider this: LH levels are rapidly decreased by the 2nd day of steroid administration. (2,9,10) By shutting down the LH signal and allowing the testis to be non-functional over a 12-16 week period, leydig cell volume decreases 90%, ITT decreases 94%, INSL3 decreases 95%, while the capacity to secrete testosterone decreases as much as 98%. (2-6)

Note: visually analyzing testes size is a poor method of judging your actual testicular function, since testicular size is not directly related to the ability to secrete testosterone. (4) This is because the leydig cells, which are the primary sites of testosterone secretion, only make up about 10% of the total testicular volume. Therefore, when the testes may only appear 5-10% smaller, the testes ability to secrete testosterone upon LH or hCG stimulation can actually be significantly reduced to 98% of their normal production. (3-5) So do not judge how “shutdown” you are by testicular size!

The decreased testosterone secretion capacity caused by steroid use was well demonstrated in a study on power athletes who used steroids for 16 weeks, and were then administered 4500iu hCG post cycle. It was found that the steroid users were about 20 times less responsive to hCG, when compared to normal men who did not use steroids. (8) In other words, their testosterone secretion capacity was dramatically reduced because they did not receive an LH signal for 16 weeks. The testes essentially became desensitized and crippled. Case studies with steroid using patients show that aggressive long-term treatment with hCG at dosages as high as 10,000iu E3D for 12 weeks were unable to return full testicular size. (7) Another study with men using low dose steroids for 6 weeks showed unsuccessful return of Insulin-like factor-3 (INSL3) concentration in the testes upon 5000iu/wk of HCG treatment for 12 weeks (6) (INSL3 is an important biomarker for testosterone production potential and sperm production) 20

In light of the above evidence, it becomes obvious that we must take preventative measures to avoid this testicular degeneration. We must protect our testicular sensitivity. Besides, with hCG being so readily available, and such a painless shot, it makes you wonder why anyone wouldn’t use it on cycle.

Based on studies with normal men using steroids, 100iu HCG administered everyday was enough to preserve full testicular function and ITT levels, without causing desensitization typically associated with higher doses of hCG. (2) It is important that low-dose hCG is started before testicular sensitivity is reduced, which appears to rapidly manifest within the first 2-3 weeks of steroid use. Also, it’s important to discontinue the hCG before you start Post-Cycle-Therapy so your leydig cells are given a chance to re-sensitize to your body’s own LH production. (To help further enhance testicular sensitivity, the dietary supplement Toco-8 may be used)

Based off the above information, an optimal dose of hCG during the cycle would be 250iu every 4 days, or as a less desirable alternative, once a week shot of 500iu. Keep in mind, that the half-life of hCG is 3-4 days, while the half-life of LH is only 1-2 hours. Considering this difference in excretion time, it is best to space each dose of hCG at least 4 days apart for the optimal “peak and valley” replication. However, going more than 7 days between each hCG shot may promote increase the rate of desensitization from lack of LH or hCG stimulation.

If you are starting hCG late in the cycle, one could calculate a rough estimate for their required hCG “kick starting” dosage by multiplying 40iu x days of LH absence. (ie. 40iu x 60 days = 2400iu HCG dose) Remember, since the testes will be desensitized later in a cycle, you will require a higher dose. Also, the maximum daily dose of hCG should not exceed 5000iu, and 4-7 days must be taken off between each shot. Generally, a higher dose will require a longer off period between each shot. (eg., 2500iu = 7 days between each shot)

Note: If following the on cycle hCG protocol, hCG should NOT be used for pct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part 2 of 2

Recap -

For preservation of testicular sensitivity, use 250iu every 4 days starting 14 days after your first AAS dose. At the end of the cycle, drop the hCG two weeks before the AAS clear the system. For example, you would drop hCG about the same time as your last Testosterone Enanthate shot. Or, if you are ending the cycle with orals, you would drop the hCG about 10 days before your last oral dose. This will allow for a sudden and even clearance in hormone levels. This will initiate a strong LH and FSH surge from the pituitary, to begin stimulating your testes to produce testosterone. Remember, recovery doesn’t begin until you are off hCG since your body will not release its own LH until the hCG has cleared the system.

In conclusion, we have learned that utilizing hCG during a steroid cycle will significantly prevent testicular degeneration. This helps create a seamless transition from “on cycle” to “off cycle” thus avoiding the post cycle crash.

Now I would actually use 100iu hCG ED starting 3 days after your first AAS dose.

A more convenient alternative to the above recommendation would be a weekly shot of 500iu hCG, throughout the entire cycle. Beyond this dose, one could calculate a rough estimate for their required hCG dosage by multiplying 40iu x days of LH absence. (40iu x 60 days = 2400iu HCG dose)

The dose one needs varies and can be adjusted mid cycle if
necessary. Because leptin is a major inhibitor of gonadal function
in men, men with higher body fat levels require larger doses of HCG
to get the same effect.

Body Fat Percentage

10-15%: 300-350 iu twice weekly
>15%: 350-500 iu twice weekly

5) Do the math to determine the volume you need for your desired
dose. 1 cc = 1,000 iu, so 0.5 cc = 500 iu, 0.25 cc = 250 iu etc.

6) Use an insulin syringe (29 gauge is ideal) to measure your dose
and inject subcutaneously one inch to either side of your belly
button.

If testicular atrophy begins to occur on your selected dose, simply
raise yourself to the next bracket. It is better to not use more
than you need if you plan to come off cycle eventually. Minor
atrophy is quickly reversed with proper Post Cycle Therapy.

Ok it won’t let me post it because the article is over 10,000 characters. Maybe I can just post the dosages but some guys might want to read all the info as well

What about a link?

Ya I'd like to see that protocol too. So when you nuts get back to normal size does it effect your loads or anything? Or just that your nuts are normal?
For me, nuts returned to normal size...if not a bit bigger.

I mean to me they seem bigger. You literally have bigger nuts the day after an hcg injection. Someone tell me they have the same experience and it’s not just in my head

Can definitely confirm that my nuts didn't change that quickly.. it took approx a month to notice any change.

@rygran (and everyone really) Please post the source? I think that is respectful to the author and also speaks to the credibility of the info. I know where this particular stuff came from and I think knowing who the author is and seeing the links he cited is important.

PS - I'm not singling you or this post out, just a pet peeve of mine and adds some class to the site as well

I’ve never ran HCG on cycle but have used it for pct protocol in the past. I’ve read that HCG loses its potency 4 weeks after mixing it and storing it in the fridge. How do you get around this while using low doses on cycle?
I believe HCG starts losing potency earlier....maybe 10 days Load some pins with the required dosage and freeze them .

@rygran (and everyone really) Please post the source? I think that is respectful to the author and also speaks to the credibility of the info. I know where this particular stuff came from and I think knowing who the author is and seeing the links he cited is important.

PS - I'm not singling you or this post out, just a pet peeve of mine and adds some class to the site as well

Post 1 does call out the author on the top. The only reason I didn’t call out the board it was from was because the person posting it there said it was from another board as well. ... I figured giving the author credit was better than stating the board that it wasn’t originally from anyway. Is this not ok?

I'm definitely going to incorporate it into my cycle. I had no idea it was this popular during cycles. Although I knew it was used in the golden era of AAS use (pre-90's.)

My pills have shrunk quite a bit with the blasting and cruising I've been doing. While it hasn't affected my libido or performance (besides maybe quantity of loads) I'd just like my nads to be back in the "normal" range.

Post 1 does call out the author on the top. The only reason I didn’t call out the board it was from was because the person posting it there said it was from another board as well. ... I figured giving the author credit was better than stating the board that it wasn’t originally from anyway. Is this not ok?

You're good rygran, I think @gondar1 may have missed that part or he's referring to something else, not sure. No need to post the board the article came from, it's probably been floating around on dozens of boards.

Hey my friend it's ok either way just expressing my thoughts. I kinda figured that you may have not wanted to link to another "competing" board, afaik linking like that is not a problem here though. I did see the author's name in your post, that is what prompted my response actually. I did not actually read your whole post but if memory serves there is some outdated or somewhat incorrect info in there which I originally deduced from the links he had provided.

BTW Whatever I took as incorrect in there was minor, I can't remember the specifics - memory does not serve me that well :)

Cheers

I believe HCG starts losing potency earlier....maybe 10 days Load some pins with the required dosage and freeze them .

Is it okay to freeze it? Or are you just messing with me lol? Wouldn’t freezing it cause it to expand in the syringe and crack it?

Is it okay to freeze it? Or are you just messing with me lol? Wouldn’t freezing it cause it to expand in the syringe and crack it?
No it does not crack the syringe.Learned that from Prae on CBB.Good source of info that dude.

I’m interested in that info if you have it? I had no idea you could freeze it

It's all good afaik, I don't usually freeze it but when I do I pull a bit of air into the barrel to allow some room for expansion and also place in the freezer with needle side up figuring that where the needle is attached (glued?) may be a weak point. I honestly doubt any of that is necessary though.

Here is a little info about potency and such from Dr Crisler - http://www.allthingsmale.com/commun...en-completely-wrong-about-freezing-hcg.20820/

Last edited:
Ya I'd like to see that protocol too. So when you nuts get back to normal size does it effect your loads or anything? Or just that your nuts are normal?

Aug-Oct 2018
Test 750
Deca 400
Anadrol 75

After a month into cycle had come across some info about running HCG during cycle so thought I would give it a try

10,000iu HCG ran 500iu x2 week started at 250iu and didn't really feel anything and didn't want to go higher than 500iu
Felt way better right away at the time I was taking HCG (seemed to go down toward the end maybe bump up dosage 750iu?)
Balls fullness was back with in couple weeks IIRC

Complaints:
extra pinning
Cost
Wasn't sure how to transition into PCT
Wife did not like it at all, said it was sticky, stingy, and bugged her the next day. I'm gonna run HCG during cruise and not tell her and see if the same thing comes up.

Made mine up 10cc 2x5000iu = 1000iu/cc stored in a dark container in the fridge.

Amazingly specific guidance and advice for guys who cycle….
With respect to TRT, I’m wondering what a ‘kick-start’ would look like prior to moving towards the either 100iu/day, 250/EOD or otherwise continuous supplementation of HCG while on TRT

I did my first test only cycle years ago without hcg during the cycle. It seemed fine. Meaning I didn't feel off in any real way. Not side effects or mental challenges that I recall while on. The only real negative I saw, if it's even truly a negative, was semen amount went down noticeably. Normal I have a healthy amount. Without getting too explicit. So it was a bit odd to me and the gf as the weeks and months went on, it got to pretty minimal amount. The orgasms were still enjoyable but I'd say they did lack something without that physical release part. Maybe it was all in my head maybe not.

So mainly for that reason, the next few cycles I have used hcg during the cycle. My protocol has been about 500 every 4 days. I did start lower but really didn't see a difference. It's more back to normal or almost back to normal now, but I don't want to increase the dose or frequency. I guess the secondary reason is for a quicker or better or smoother pct. I haven't yet fully embraced the b and c lifestyle, yet, so to keep my system awake through it, I use it.

The cons are def more needles. More time, more $$ for sure. I don't really see any other downside though. It may increase my estrogen a bit but I aromatize a lot as it is so another few points higher isn't a deal breaker to me. I have to mitigate it regardless.

Someone mentioned I think the hcg stimulated load it creates does seem different from the real. Again, without being too explicit I think it's less sweet or less organic. Stronger, bit more bitter. Maybe more acidic or something to some girls? Def seems thicker too for sure.

i will sometimes take a week or a few weeks off to avoid any like deadening of the receptors that process it. I def don't want to do any long term damage to my ability to recover. However, before I made the choice to take it on cycle I know I saw or read many say that your system becoming desensitized was like nearly a myth. Just what I saw at the time.

So yea, that's my story, my experience with it so far. I guess for me for now, the sexual effect and hopefully keeping your natural system kind of awake during cycles are reason enough for me to keep including it for now.