Gym etiquette where has it gone?

Alright guys and gals I’m not sure about all gyms but for fuck sakes has everyone forgot gym etiquette?

You use weights put them back! Go into my gym and there’s maybe 50% of the dumbbells on the rack (2 full sets). The rest are scattered everywhere. The leg press is loaded with 12 plates, the squat racks are strewn with plates all over the ground. Go back to kindergarten and learn to put your fucking toys away.

Then there’s the assholes sitting on a bench for 30 minutes texting on their phone... you ask if they’re done you get a dirty look and told no brah I got 4 more sets.... if you’re in the gym to fucking search grinder or be on Facebook and plan your night at “da club”. Get the fuck off the equipment so people who are there to actually train can get their shit done!

I've noticed in the gyms I've been to in the last few years (only a couple) that privately owned gyms have gotten quite slack in enforcing the rules. I talked to one owner and he said running a gym is really hard to make money so he is light on authority to avoid turning away customers. I told him if he doesn't enforce the rules he will never know how many customers he turned away by having ignorant members. He agreed, but he still thinks the way he ran it was the happy medium.

It'd be pretty tough for an owner to crack down on people taking up equpiement longer than usual because they are on their cell phone. Not sure how'd that approach that other than asking to be more understanding of other people who are waiting. Hardcore gyms might be able to approach it more aggressively.

If its an option for you, try training at off times. No, as a paying member you shouldn't have to do this to enjoy the gym.. But if you can make it work to train in off times, there is lots of positives.

I train at 6am.. I didn't think I could lift heavy that early, but after a couple of days it just becomes part of the routine and now I don't even notice the before sunrise squatting..

I've noticed in the gyms I've been to in the last few years (only a couple) that privately owned gyms have gotten quite slack in enforcing the rules. I talked to one owner and he said running a gym is really hard to make money so he is light on authority to avoid turning away customers. I told him if he doesn't enforce the rules he will never know how many customers he turned away by having ignorant members. He agreed, but he still thinks the way he ran it was the happy medium.

It'd be pretty tough for an owner to crack down on people taking up equpiement longer than usual because they are on their cell phone. Not sure how'd that approach that other than asking to be more understanding of other people who are waiting. Hardcore gyms might be able to approach it more aggressively.

If its an option for you, try training at off times. No, as a paying member you shouldn't have to do this to enjoy the gym.. But if you can make it work to train in off times, there is lots of positives.

I train at 6am.. I didn't think I could lift heavy that early, but after a couple of days it just becomes part of the routine and now I don't even notice the before sunrise squatting..
Yea a family member of mine owns a gym he has with a couple friends all they do there is train clients but he has the occasional open day and says he couldn’t imagine having to run a big commercial gym.

This rant came up because I had a couple days off due to weather and like an idiot decided to train during the day LOL. I usually train at 3am. So no one else gets up that stupidly early to train! Usually I don’t see a single person which is how I like it. But for the guys that regularly train during the day I feel bad.

Training that early doesn’t save me from the weights being a mess non stop. My gym has a hard time keeping people working over night. So they have the one maintenance guy helping out. I walk in on nights he’s working and it’s like a bomb went off in the gym. They have a girl that works one night a week and man does she do a good job cleaning up after the animals from the night before.

I know that’s an issue that my gym has getting staff to work, but if everyone put their shit back it wouldn’t be such a disaster!

Yea a family member of mine owns a gym he has with a couple friends all they do there is train clients but he has the occasional open day and says he couldn’t imagine having to run a big commercial gym.

This rant came up because I had a couple days off due to weather and like an idiot decided to train during the day LOL. I usually train at 3am. So no one else gets up that stupidly early to train! Usually I don’t see a single person which is how I like it. But for the guys that regularly train during the day I feel bad.

Training that early doesn’t save me from the weights being a mess non stop. My gym has a hard time keeping people working over night. So they have the one maintenance guy helping out. I walk in on nights he’s working and it’s like a bomb went off in the gym. They have a girl that works one night a week and man does she do a good job cleaning up after the animals from the night before.

I know that’s an issue that my gym has getting staff to work, but if everyone put their shit back it wouldn’t be such a disaster!

Funny I was thinking about this watching the aftermath of the raptors parade. The amount of garbage people left behind is unreal. I don’t know who people think is responsible to pick up after them.

Reactions: 3ml
ha. all the above. i thought it was me being anal. burring the little plates under the big ones, amateurs. ladies using equipment to set their stuff on, obnoxious and stupid.

Funny I was thinking about this watching the aftermath of the raptors parade. The amount of garbage people left behind is unreal. I don’t know who people think is responsible to pick up after them.
Be a lot nicer if people weren’t slobs... some of the guys on the job site I’d hate to see their homes

Yeah don’t get me started on that. I have company trucks and they way some people keep them 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I had a guy fill in for me for a couple days when my last kid was born.... cigarett butts on the floor Apple cores on the shelf, dirt everywhere garbage every where and this was only 2 days. I work eat and piss in a 3x4 box so I’m meticulous about how clean it is... I lost my shit when I came in that morning and found that mess. I refused to work for an hour while I cleaned it up.

I’ve gained a pet peeve at the gym. Dudes who use a locker without a padlock. It seems such a stupid thing but I hate opening 5 fucking locker doors to put my stuff in only to see a bag stuffed in there. Like dude if you don’t care to lock the locker just throw your bag on top or something.
Ooops...

Reading threads like this makes me appreciate my gym.

It's a bit older, the building is old, the plates are old. It's the old school iron plates, pitted and chipped and grey.
There's a complete mix between plates in lbs and kgs (shitty for new guys to figure out but easy when you're familiar).

Just has this warehouse feel.

It's very much a boys club. Probably 5 guys for every 1 girl there.
Cardio section is fine but not massive like in commercial gyms.

As a result it attracts a lot of hardcore types, and it really turns off the average mother of 2 looking to curl the pink dumbbells.

Everyone reracks weights. There's never DBs or plates laying around... everyone wipes down the equipment.
I never have problems. Only the odd high school kid wanting to try a real gym who doesn't know the rules, but they learn eventually.

And best of all most people don't use locks or their lockers ;) like a real gym!

:( I must have deleted the video because it was an 'illegal' camp video ...

Every time B/D crew is at Site, the gym is a fucking mess. Two gals take weights from the big gym into the ladies gym and never return them. Guys leave plates and dumbbells all over the fucking place. Bars are left fully loaded, same with the leg press. It pisses me off! Actually, A crew has been total gym douches too.

Alright boys and girls got a new one from this morning sadly...

Why in the fuck would someone go into a personal training area to take the bumper plates to throw them on a barbell at the flat bench?

My gym has an area that does personal training and sports training and they have bumper plates. Nice shiny colourful ones. So some idiot went in there took them out to put on the bench. Was only one 25 and a 10 on each side... wtf do you need bumper plates for on a bench press?

So not only did they go into a room that’s not for general members and take equipment, but didn’t even put it back.

My only thought was so it looked like he/she wanted to make it look like they were benching more. I don’t fucking get it lol

I could make a thread on people using bumper plates on every single implement drives me insane! You want to make it look like you lift more? Get your ass actually training put down the Facebook on your phone and lift some weights.

Last edited:
Alright boys and girls got a new one from this morning sadly...

Why in the fuck would someone go into a personal training area to take the bumper plates to throw them on a barbell at the flat bench?

My gym has an area that does personal training and sports training and they have bumper plates. Nice shiny colourful ones. So some idiot went in there took them out to put on the bench. Was only one 25 and a 10 on each side... wtf do you need bumper plates for on a bench press?

So not only did they go into a room that’s not for general members and take equipment, but didn’t even put it back.

My only thought was so it looked like he/she wanted to make it look like they were benching more. I don’t fucking get it lol

I could make a thread on people using bumper plates on every single implement drives me insane! You want to make it look like you lift more? Get your ass actually training put down the Facebook on your phone and lift some weights.

This is exactly why lol.. Some guys at my gym use the bumper plates for EVERYTHING...

I used to go to a gym that had 45lbs plates and 33 pound plats. They looked identical in meausrement except thickness. Sure as shit most guys would use the 33's every single time. They would go so far as to put a 33 and a 10 lbs plate on a bar instead of a 45 because it made them look stronger.

I put my shit away.

Im more of a non commercial gym kinda girl.. I dont see much fuckery happen. Sometimes but, nothing that really gets under my skin

We've got this wanker who uses the bumpers for his bench too. He used to use the rack for flat bench, even though there's a flat bench setup with rack specifically for.that.purpose, but thankfully he's got the clue now that we don't fuck around, so he moved there ... still uses the bumpers though

Never realised how gay my gym is till today. They close at 8pm but have 24hr access via key fobs and I always either train before or after business hours. Well my girl decided to join the gym with me so I started training her. So I decided I'd go in and get my heavy workouts during the day and go back with her in the evening to do some cardio with her and then train her.

Well fuck me. I seen a few scrawny guys doing some weird fucking useless shit kind of looking at me the whole time. I just ignored them. I always put my plates away but today the rack was such a mess that I just layed the 45's neatly against the wall next to the rack. Well sure enough turns out I get approached by this chump that was doing what seemed to be an arnold press mixed in with some funky bird flapping mixed in there (couldn't even call it a lateral raise) and get told that their policies is that all plates get pul away on the rack. Couldn't believe it. He's an employee and apparently a personal trainer hahaha

So anyways my pet peeve... personal trainers that dont look like they ever lifted a weight in their lives. Never mind that if he trains like that he's probably going to try and teach that none sense. The other trainer I was watching I shit you not was doing some sort of jazz hands while doing walking lunges.

Fuck me. After hours it will remain for me.

We've got this wanker who uses the bumpers for his bench too. He used to use the rack for flat bench, even though there's a flat bench setup with rack specifically for.that.purpose, but thankfully he's got the clue now that we don't fuck around, so he moved there ... still uses the bumpers though
ive seen that exactly too. more than one dude. they are also setting up to bench on the oly platforms when there are bench presses available. one of those guy put on oly shoes to bench.

I always put my plates away but today the rack was such a mess that I just layed the 45's neatly against the wall next to the rack.
my gym is always like that and i do the same. why does a bench have 3 sets of 10lb, 5lb and 2.5lb, 5 * 25lb, 2 sets of 35 randomly shuffled? ill fix thing up a bit but im not going to hurt my back reaching behind the bench to grab 45s that are burying the little plates.

really etiquette everywhere has gone to shit, people trying to hold doors from the inside, people stopping to talk in busy throughways, playing YT videos on loud in restaurants, blocking both sides of escalators...

Last edited:
ive seen that exactly too. more than one dude. they are also setting up to bench on the oly platforms when there are bench presses available. one of those guy put on oly shoes to bench.
Benching on platform is ridiculous. But having a heeled shoe to help with bench is quite legitimate. Makes a difference.