Greta

I started reading this thread and stopped when I saw how many ppl are saying teachers are brainwashing kids with this shit.

It's a fact that teachers have no say in what they teach. That's a fact. We are told by the province what we must teach. The curriculum is very specific about what is to be taught and often how it needs to be taught.

I work in a school and I know climate change is not pushed or taught. Facts are taught, but opinions are not.

I will teach the fact that removing gas/oil/coal and burning it adds CO2 to the atmosphere. That is a fact. I will teach that these gas/oil/coal desposits are essentially carbon storage and if they remain in the ground, they do not add CO2. It's also a fact that increased levels of CO2 does cause the sun ray's to stay in our atmosphere. With lower CO2, the suns rays (and their heat energy) leaves our atmosphere easily. I also teach that ALL living things require carbon to grow. So we need carbon. I also teach that planting trees is a super efficient way of removing excess carbon. I also teach that clear cutting is fine and actually benefits the ecosystem, but trees need to be allowed to regrow and that we can not remove more trees than we need to absorb CO2. All these things are part of the curriculum and they are facts and I teach them.

Never have I seen in a school the non sense of kids being brainwashed by opinions. I just haven't seen it sorry. I'm sure the odd school does and the odd teacher does, but as a whole this is not true.

I started reading this thread and stopped when I saw how many ppl are saying teachers are brainwashing kids with this shit.

It's a fact that teachers have no say in what they teach. That's a fact. We are told by the province what we must teach. The curriculum is very specific about what is to be taught and often how it needs to be taught.

I work in a school and I know climate change is not pushed or taught. Facts are taught, but opinions are not.

I will teach the fact that removing gas/oil/coal and burning it adds CO2 to the atmosphere. That is a fact. I will teach that these gas/oil/coal desposits are essentially carbon storage and if they remain in the ground, they do not add CO2. It's also a fact that increased levels of CO2 does cause the sun ray's to stay in our atmosphere. With lower CO2, the suns rays (and their heat energy) leaves our atmosphere easily. I also teach that ALL living things require carbon to grow. So we need carbon. I also teach that planting trees is a super efficient way of removing excess carbon. I also teach that clear cutting is fine and actually benefits the ecosystem, but trees need to be allowed to regrow and that we can not remove more trees than we need to absorb CO2. All these things are part of the curriculum and they are facts and I teach them.

Never have I seen in a school the non sense of kids being brainwashed by opinions. I just haven't seen it sorry. I'm sure the odd school does and the odd teacher does, but as a whole this is not true.

Public schools are extremely liberal. I graduated 5 years ago and I distinctively remember being taught that left wing politicians were good and right wing politicians were selfish and bad in social studies 11. They made me do a report in grade 8 all the way to grade 12 science (every year) on why global warming is bad, and what we can do to stop it. We even watched al gores movie, as if that has no bias. Maybe you don’t teach with bias, but I just got out of the system 5 years ago and the attempt to indoctrinate me was further than obvious, it was EXTREME. it doesn’t take a genius to see it when you listen to kids talk anymore either, and they will all tell you they learned it at school. I’m not saying the teachers force it, although some teachers may be very happy brainwashing kids the way the public school system wants them brainwashed. The other teachers dont realize they’re doing it because it’s the curriculum, as you said.

Public schools are extremely liberal. I graduated 5 years ago and I distinctively remember being taught that left wing politicians were good and right wing politicians were selfish and bad in social studies 11. They made me do a report in grade 8 all the way to grade 12 science (every year) on why global warming is bad, and what we can do to stop it. We even watched al gores movie, as if that has no bias. Maybe you don’t teach with bias, but I just got out of the system 5 years ago and the attempt to indoctrinate me was further than obvious, it was EXTREME. it doesn’t take a genius to see it when you listen to kids talk anymore either, and they will all tell you they learned it at school. I’m not saying the teachers force it, although some teachers may be very happy brainwashing kids the way the public school system wants them brainwashed. The other teachers dont realize they’re doing it because it’s the curriculum, as you said.

I work in a public school system and I've experienced the curriculum k-8.. Nothing is swayed in the curriculum more one way than the other aside from the aboriginal push in the last 15 years. This is in the province I work in. Could be different in another, but I doubt it.

Aside from that, yes global warming is bad lol... That's a fact in terms of humans contributing to global warming. Are there hot/cold cycles in the earth's history that will continue regardless of what we do? Yes of course there is.. but that doens't change the fact that humans contribute to global warming. I think its great for school curriculums to teach what kids can do to help the environment and protect it. Are you saying this is bad to teach kids? Our planet is MUCH better off given the education system teaching kids things they can do to contribute to a healthy planet and things we can not do or minimize to protect the planet and eco systems. If the education didn't do this, then we probably wouldn't have the higher efficiency vehicles we have or the lowered emmisions from various industries.. Can you imagine what the bush in alberta would look like if we were not educated on how iportant it is to reduce human impact in the environment? No one is going to deny that nothing is perfect and there's been serious fuck ups in terms of forcing high efficiency techonology that just sucks on to the consumer, but I think in general we are progressing to a better society in terms of earth's health.

The education system is seriously flawed in many ways, but I disagree with the fact that how many ppl I come across who tell me teachers brain wash kids.. More teachers try to teach free thinking in kids than try to push an agenda from what I have seen.

Could you have had one of those agenda pushing teachers? absolutely.. I had one for a class as well growing up.. But that's not a good way to blanket all teachers and curriculums.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement that some teachers do brainwash witouth realizing it because its the curriculum.... Brother, you won't come across someone who is more knowledagble in curriculum, education, school system and also honesty with its flaws than myself. Like I said, there is a hidden agenda with the aboriginal stuff in our curriculum, but thats all I've seen in my many many many years of being in the system as an employee and a student as well. As you've probably realized, I am a science teacher.. I'd have no issues telling you the science curriculum has a political agenda, but it simply doesn't. It's fact based, not opinion. I'll be the first person to write 25 pages on here about the flaws and fallings of our education system, but there is no brainwashing..

You might be confused with leanring facts about global warming and being brainwashed. Facts are facts, but brainwashing is pushing an opinion or not teaching facts. There's no fucking way anythign will make it into the curriculum that is not a fact. And theres a huge part of the social curriculum that pushes teaching free thought to kids..

The only other thing I can see happened to you is that you had a teacher(s) who taught your curriculum in a biased manner. Which is deffinitely possible, but rare from my many many years of experience.

Anyways, please don't think I'm someone who believes all the fear mongering none sense about the world is going to be a ocean because the ice caps are melting lol.. I'm far from that because I base my thoughts and opinions on facts. I dislike when facts are improperly presented or taken out of context. Unfortunately on social media and in politics this is done all the time.

Do I agree with carbon tax, greta, trudeua etc? not at all.. they are going about it the wrong way

FYI- I wouldn't believe many kids when they tell you what they learned and didn't learn in school... Half the kids I taught will tell you I never taught them how to divide, but I did.. I spent many many many many days teaching them division...

On the same topic... I come across tons of ppl who are pissed about what kids are taught and not taught in school in terms of them actually learning relevant and useful things. I 100% agree with them.. So much of the curriculums are really nothing that will benefit kids in the future lol... like honestly, will kids EVER need to know how to rotate a triangle 270 degrees around the point of orgin? NOPE... lol.. I really think this type of thing is a huge flaw and needs to be addresssed.. BUT, I'll add the sending a kid to school is more then the kid leanring what they need to know as an adult.. School is really about teaching kids how to learn, exposing them to lots of things so they can find something they are pasionate about, teaching them to think for themselves, teaching them problem solving skills, teaching them to find information, exposiing them to other cultures, teaching them all about the history of us, teaching them social skills they will need as an adult etc.. Yes school systems aren't doing great at these things sometimes, but my point is school is more than just learning the curriculum.. Without schools the world be be a fucking scary place with no modern medicine, modern machines, modern science, skilled workers etc.. It all starts with school.

I need to get my ass to bed.. hopefully you'll take my reply as I intended it to be..

I work in a public school system and I've experienced the curriculum k-8.. Nothing is swayed in the curriculum more one way than the other aside from the aboriginal push in the last 15 years. This is in the province I work in. Could be different in another, but I doubt it.

Aside from that, yes global warming is bad lol... That's a fact in terms of humans contributing to global warming. Are there hot/cold cycles in the earth's history that will continue regardless of what we do? Yes of course there is.. but that doens't change the fact that humans contribute to global warming. I think its great for school curriculums to teach what kids can do to help the environment and protect it. Are you saying this is bad to teach kids? Our planet is MUCH better off given the education system teaching kids things they can do to contribute to a healthy planet and things we can not do or minimize to protect the planet and eco systems. If the education didn't do this, then we probably wouldn't have the higher efficiency vehicles we have or the lowered emmisions from various industries.. Can you imagine what the bush in alberta would look like if we were not educated on how iportant it is to reduce human impact in the environment? No one is going to deny that nothing is perfect and there's been serious fuck ups in terms of forcing high efficiency techonology that just sucks on to the consumer, but I think in general we are progressing to a better society in terms of earth's health.

The education system is seriously flawed in many ways, but I disagree with the fact that how many ppl I come across who tell me teachers brain wash kids.. More teachers try to teach free thinking in kids than try to push an agenda from what I have seen.

Could you have had one of those agenda pushing teachers? absolutely.. I had one for a class as well growing up.. But that's not a good way to blanket all teachers and curriculums.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement that some teachers do brainwash witouth realizing it because its the curriculum.... Brother, you won't come across someone who is more knowledagble in curriculum, education, school system and also honesty with its flaws than myself. Like I said, there is a hidden agenda with the aboriginal stuff in our curriculum, but thats all I've seen in my many many many years of being in the system as an employee and a student as well. As you've probably realized, I am a science teacher.. I'd have no issues telling you the science curriculum has a political agenda, but it simply doesn't. It's fact based, not opinion. I'll be the first person to write 25 pages on here about the flaws and fallings of our education system, but there is no brainwashing..

You might be confused with leanring facts about global warming and being brainwashed. Facts are facts, but brainwashing is pushing an opinion or not teaching facts. There's no fucking way anythign will make it into the curriculum that is not a fact. And theres a huge part of the social curriculum that pushes teaching free thought to kids..

The only other thing I can see happened to you is that you had a teacher(s) who taught your curriculum in a biased manner. Which is deffinitely possible, but rare from my many many years of experience.

Anyways, please don't think I'm someone who believes all the fear mongering none sense about the world is going to be a ocean because the ice caps are melting lol.. I'm far from that because I base my thoughts and opinions on facts. I dislike when facts are improperly presented or taken out of context. Unfortunately on social media and in politics this is done all the time.

Do I agree with carbon tax, greta, trudeua etc? not at all.. they are going about it the wrong way

FYI- I wouldn't believe many kids when they tell you what they learned and didn't learn in school... Half the kids I taught will tell you I never taught them how to divide, but I did.. I spent many many many many days teaching them division...

On the same topic... I come across tons of ppl who are pissed about what kids are taught and not taught in school in terms of them actually learning relevant and useful things. I 100% agree with them.. So much of the curriculums are really nothing that will benefit kids in the future lol... like honestly, will kids EVER need to know how to rotate a triangle 270 degrees around the point of orgin? NOPE... lol.. I really think this type of thing is a huge flaw and needs to be addresssed.. BUT, I'll add the sending a kid to school is more then the kid leanring what they need to know as an adult.. School is really about teaching kids how to learn, exposing them to lots of things so they can find something they are pasionate about, teaching them to think for themselves, teaching them problem solving skills, teaching them to find information, exposiing them to other cultures, teaching them all about the history of us, teaching them social skills they will need as an adult etc.. Yes school systems aren't doing great at these things sometimes, but my point is school is more than just learning the curriculum.. Without schools the world be be a fucking scary place with no modern medicine, modern machines, modern science, skilled workers etc.. It all starts with school.

I need to get my ass to bed.. hopefully you'll take my reply as I intended it to be..

I was taught a ton of political points in school on global warming. The facts that were taught to me weren’t real facts. They were the school boards facts. Doing my own independent research now, I see there is no evidence of the claims that the school has told me were fact.

In grade 11 social studies, the teacher was teaching us Canadian politics. We were studying the political spectrum (left and right wing). He literally said left wing politicians help the people and give them services, where as right wing politicians help only large corporations that theyre friends with, and make life more expensive for regular people. I put up my hand and asked “so left wing is obviously better then?” And he just smiled and said that’s for you to decide, when it was clearly described to me so that I would think that. I got conned into taking First Nations study, and I might have well been at a liberal book club. In B.C., the entire curriculum was so insanely liberal and all of the teachers were so far left wing, it wasn’t even funny..

Reactions: 3ml
One only has to view the situation in the U.S education system to see the bias.

I was taught a ton of political points in school on global warming. The facts that were taught to me weren’t real facts. They were the school boards facts. Doing my own independent research now, I see there is no evidence of the claims that the school has told me were fact.

In grade 11 social studies, the teacher was teaching us Canadian politics. We were studying the political spectrum (left and right wing). He literally said left wing politicians help the people and give them services, where as right wing politicians help only large corporations that theyre friends with, and make life more expensive for regular people. I put up my hand and asked “so left wing is obviously better then?” And he just smiled and said that’s for you to decide, when it was clearly described to me so that I would think that. I got conned into taking First Nations study, and I might have well been at a liberal book club. In B.C., the entire curriculum was so insanely liberal and all of the teachers were so far left wing, it wasn’t even funny..

I've never been to BC, but I got my education in 2 very liberal provinces and I didn't experience this. I acknowledge the aboriginal stuff is presented with a very liberal spin.

T

They did the same with my daughter's high school. The teaches are liberals undercover.:)

Reactions: 3ml
lol.. teachers are not liberals undercover at all.. I'm sure some are, but most I know are deeply conservative in their beliefs. I admit a lot of teachers vote liberal, because in general conservatives cut funding to schools and liberals don't. Can't blame someone for voting in a party which makes their work conditions easier.
Do you live within 50 k from a Starbucks?If you vote liberal.....you are a liberal.

I bet your masculinity is way too toxic to ever get a teaching job in Toronto.Big muscular straight male that likes to hunt.And legally owns handguns.They would put you in a museum or ship you to West Texas.:)

I have been to star bucks once in my life and it was about 4,000kms from home. Couldn't find another place to get a coffee lol..

YOu have a good point in that various areas do have different demographics for sure, but I'm fairly confident I could get a job teaching anywhere based on my evaluations and experiences. Fairly confident a inner city school board would love a strong male role model. I had TONS of job offers in a very liberal province I left a few years ago. I was bigger and more masculine than I am now.

You're right in that if it is the principal doing the hiring, they could do their hiring based on their personal political bielives, but in my experience no one turns down a masculine, strong experienced male teacher. Most principals drool over teachers like me because kids generally respond very well to us and they isn't many of us around.

I could have used you 15 years ago when I was working with the Board.

Teachers are brainwashing knowingly or not. The curriculum is put out by the government and the teachers teach it. I could go on for days about lefty BS being taught in schools. But I give up on this country. I’m currently looking for overseas work since the government and all the pinko hippie liberals intend to destroy oil and gas. Once I get an overseas contract I will do my hitch in that particular country and relocate to a cheaper country. I’ll mail my resignation of Canadian citizenship in a box witha pile of shit for Jihadi Justin Turdeau

Cumminstech2 talked about the liberal agenda that was pushed.Teachers can certainly push the envelope.Out in the boonies,I doubt you have as many liberals,no Starbucks:).To deny that teachers have exerted a left leaning bias on many students would be ignoring reality.

Cumminstech2 talked about the liberal agenda that was pushed.Teachers can certainly push the envelope.Out in the boonies,I doubt you have as many liberals,no Starbucks:).To deny that teachers have exerted a left leaning bias on many students would be ignoring reality.

I couldn’t agree more