GOUT

ClearWater

SPQR
Trusted Member
Someone told me that red meat causes gout, but i can't find any website that supports that idea.

can somebody say what caused there gout, and how they manage it?

Gout is when your body is unable to excrete Uric acid properly and it builds up and eventually crystallizes in the joint

red meat is high in purines which raises your uric acid levels

so it’s kind of a cause for gout but you won’t get gout unless your body has an issue with excreting uric acid already (usually kidney or liver issue)

Gout is genetic..as @Rocky says its all about the uric acid which is in red meats, shell fish, beer, etc.

in addition to diet, Stress plus injury to a joint are big triggers. It runs in our family... the Gout meds are harsh. thought i had it once but it never came back. in Canada now the THC creams are legal...its highly effective for gout. My dad says it works as good as the meds if you jump on it quickly.

@ClearWater are you having swelling, redness and hot to the touch and sharp pain in a joint? (very similar to infection)... Its most common the big toe but can happen in the wrist, elbow, knee, etc

Gout is when your body is unable to excrete Uric acid properly and it builds up and eventually crystallizes in the joint

red meat is high in purines which raises your uric acid levels

so it’s kind of a cause for gout but you won’t get gout unless your body has an issue with excreting uric acid already (usually kidney or liver issue)

This is my understanding as well..

I think you can also have high levels of uric acid and it doesn't crystalize until you have truama. i know for me, the worst case I got of got was just going for a long hike and I rolled my ankle a touch.. And it just flarred up like crazy... although most times my gout pain was very mild and sometimes i wans't even sure if it was gout.

I got gout across the top of my foot. But my friends who get bad gout get it in their big toe and ankles. Another spot is in the knees.

There is a couple things you can do to get rid of it quick.
1) Cultrascene pills. Not sure the real spelling, but 3 days on this med and the gout is pretty much gone.
2) Drink tons and tons and tons of water. This was advice given to me, but didn't work for me when I had a full attack. I'm told if your prone to gout attacks and feel one coming on, drinking tons of water can stop it.

If you get frequent gout attacks you can go long term on alopurenal. This is a med for people who just get gout all the time and can't do anythign about it. There's lots of sides to this though I'm told.

Other stuff I've learned
-identify what causes your gout.. many ppl say beer, shellfish, red meat, tomaotes are the biggest triggers.. But to be 100% honest, for some of my friends its just gluten. Had a buddy that fought with severe gout for years before he figured out his was caused by gluten and gluten alone.. He though it was red meat for years, but recently figured out it was gluten. Look at your diet, keep a brief food log.. Once your gout is gone, record what your eating so you can see what caused it.

-drink lots of water

-theres something called "psuedo gout".. psuedo gout will not show up on lab work. It's essentially gout, but not gout lol... My buddy had piles of gout tests and all came back negative.. He suffered until the doctor told him "sounds like gout, but test say its not.. might be psuedo gout.. try cultrascene and if it goes away, you have pseudo gout". Point being don't let a negative test rule out that its gout.

For me... I had regular mild gout attacks with one really really serious one.. The really serious one happened on a work trip that I couldnt' get out of.. 1000mg tylenol and 800mg IB profuen barely dulled the pain.. Got home, went to emergency and doctors were absolutely useless.. Did xray's, phsuical exmas etc.. they said I had platar fasitiis... Went home super mad.. buddy called me and I told him what happened and he said "lol.... you got gout.. I'll bring you 3 days worth of cultrascence over"... 2 days on the pills and the pain was 100% gone.

be very consious that cultrazene is very hard on the stomach... take too much and you'll shit your pants and have nasty stomach cramps lol.

Anyways, I haven't had a gout attack in a few years.. I eat whatever I want and no more attacks... I was diagnosed with low thyroid and not able to produce my own stomach acid.. I take thyroid meds and supplement my stomach acid when I eat and haven't had a gout attack since.. I actually ate about 3 lbs of shrimp last night.. no gout today! Doctors told me there is no medical connection between thyroid/no stomach acid and gout.. I think there based on what happened to me..

Get control of your gout now, from what I am told once you get start getting gout attacks, they just get worse and more frequent.. So find your triggers and avoid them if you can.

I did cut out gluten 100% 4 months ago.. I do think I have a sensititivty to gluten.. not sure if it was adding to my gout attacks, but once I quit gluten my neck pain (in the joints) went away and my general joint pain is less.. my buddy who figured gluten was his biggest trigger said when he eats gluten, the first thing he feels is a stiff sore neck, then the next day it feels like the joints in his big toes are "full".. then he gets a full blown gout attack.

I fee your pain brother.. severe gout attack hurts like nothings else.

For those wondering what a full out gout attack feels like..

picture a shatters beer bottle.. Take the smallest slivers of glass and put those glass slivers right in your joints of your toes/ankles/knees.. like right where the two bones meet.. Thats basically what gout is.. sharpe crystals in your joints.

This is my understanding as well..

I think you can also have high levels of uric acid and it doesn't crystalize until you have truama. i know for me, the worst case I got of got was just going for a long hike and I rolled my ankle a touch.. And it just flarred up like crazy... although most times my gout pain was very mild and sometimes i wans't even sure if it was gout.

I got gout across the top of my foot. But my friends who get bad gout get it in their big toe and ankles. Another spot is in the knees.

There is a couple things you can do to get rid of it quick.
1) Cultrascene pills. Not sure the real spelling, but 3 days on this med and the gout is pretty much gone.
2) Drink tons and tons and tons of water. This was advice given to me, but didn't work for me when I had a full attack. I'm told if your prone to gout attacks and feel one coming on, drinking tons of water can stop it.

If you get frequent gout attacks you can go long term on alopurenal. This is a med for people who just get gout all the time and can't do anythign about it. There's lots of sides to this though I'm told.

Other stuff I've learned
-identify what causes your gout.. many ppl say beer, shellfish, red meat, tomaotes are the biggest triggers.. But to be 100% honest, for some of my friends its just gluten. Had a buddy that fought with severe gout for years before he figured out his was caused by gluten and gluten alone.. He though it was red meat for years, but recently figured out it was gluten. Look at your diet, keep a brief food log.. Once your gout is gone, record what your eating so you can see what caused it.

-drink lots of water

-theres something called "psuedo gout".. psuedo gout will not show up on lab work. It's essentially gout, but not gout lol... My buddy had piles of gout tests and all came back negative.. He suffered until the doctor told him "sounds like gout, but test say its not.. might be psuedo gout.. try cultrascene and if it goes away, you have pseudo gout". Point being don't let a negative test rule out that its gout.

For me... I had regular mild gout attacks with one really really serious one.. The really serious one happened on a work trip that I couldnt' get out of.. 1000mg tylenol and 800mg IB profuen barely dulled the pain.. Got home, went to emergency and doctors were absolutely useless.. Did xray's, phsuical exmas etc.. they said I had platar fasitiis... Went home super mad.. buddy called me and I told him what happened and he said "lol.... you got gout.. I'll bring you 3 days worth of cultrascence over"... 2 days on the pills and the pain was 100% gone.

be very consious that cultrazene is very hard on the stomach... take too much and you'll shit your pants and have nasty stomach cramps lol.

Anyways, I haven't had a gout attack in a few years.. I eat whatever I want and no more attacks... I was diagnosed with low thyroid and not able to produce my own stomach acid.. I take thyroid meds and supplement my stomach acid when I eat and haven't had a gout attack since.. I actually ate about 3 lbs of shrimp last night.. no gout today! Doctors told me there is no medical connection between thyroid/no stomach acid and gout.. I think there based on what happened to me..

Get control of your gout now, from what I am told once you get start getting gout attacks, they just get worse and more frequent.. So find your triggers and avoid them if you can.

I did cut out gluten 100% 4 months ago.. I do think I have a sensititivty to gluten.. not sure if it was adding to my gout attacks, but once I quit gluten my neck pain (in the joints) went away and my general joint pain is less.. my buddy who figured gluten was his biggest trigger said when he eats gluten, the first thing he feels is a stiff sore neck, then the next day it feels like the joints in his big toes are "full".. then he gets a full blown gout attack.

I fee your pain brother.. severe gout attack hurts like nothings else.
WOW! i should take a trip to the doc to try cultrasceme to see if it helps the joints.

Thanks!

@ClearWater

I should have mentioned, the ONLY pain med you can buy without a script that helps with gout pain that I and my couple friends have found is Noproxen. Aleeve is the popular brand, but either way we always keep a bottle handy. Out on a fishing trip hours from the doctor a bottle of naproxen has saved our trip several times.

The correct spelling for cultrascence is COLCHICINE... I know when I had gout and my friend gaved me some of his colchine and it worked, I went to my GP and told him what happened and how the pain went away after a couple days of taking it.. He said "you deffinitely had gout".. I asked for a bottle of colchicine to keep in my medicine cabinet incase it happens again.. I think he gave me 45 pills.. I recall I would use one pill a day until the gout went away.

I know long time gout suffers have also taken a very small amount of colchicine a day to prevent attacks. Keeps the uric acid levels low enough that they can't crystalize easily. This is treatment isn't preffered because its hard on your stomach and liver I think, but for some people its their only option.

knock on wood.. all this gout talk is going to give me an attack lol

@ClearWater

I should have mentioned, the ONLY pain med you can buy without a script that helps with gout pain that I and my couple friends have found is Noproxen. Aleeve is the popular brand, but either way we always keep a bottle handy. Out on a fishing trip hours from the doctor a bottle of naproxen has saved our trip several times.

The correct spelling for cultrascence is COLCHICINE... I know when I had gout and my friend gaved me some of his colchine and it worked, I went to my GP and told him what happened and how the pain went away after a couple days of taking it.. He said "you deffinitely had gout".. I asked for a bottle of colchicine to keep in my medicine cabinet incase it happens again.. I think he gave me 45 pills.. I recall I would use one pill a day until the gout went away.

I know long time gout suffers have also taken a very small amount of colchicine a day to prevent attacks. Keeps the uric acid levels low enough that they can't crystalize easily. This is treatment isn't preffered because its hard on your stomach and liver I think, but for some people its their only option.

knock on wood.. all this gout talk is going to give me an attack lol
thanks for this info!

went to the doctor to get colchicine, and it wasn't just my toe joint that was aching. So he asked me about recent changes to my diet. A few weeks ago i started using a different brand of salt. This is like wet sea salt, not dry table salt, and after discontinuing salt use for two days my joints dom't ache, and my feet aren't swollen. He said if i'm still hurting in two weels he'll try colchicine, but it seems like i don't need it. I'm also way less puffy now. I'm wondering what's in that salt and if it had any affect on my blood pressure

went to the doctor to get colchicine, and it wasn't just my toe joint that was aching. So he asked me about recent changes to my diet. A few weeks ago i started using a different brand of salt. This is like wet sea salt, not dry table salt, and after discontinuing salt use for two days my joints dom't ache, and my feet aren't swollen. He said if i'm still hurting in two weels he'll try colchicine, but it seems like i don't need it. I'm also way less puffy now. I'm wondering what's in that salt and if it had any affect on my blood pressure

never heard of salt causing gout.. put a link up of the salt

never heard of salt causing gout.. put a link up of the salt
no, the pain in my toes wasn't caused by gout...it was caused by the salt i bought because i thought it might have more ninerals in it then regular salt

@animal-inside
I can't get my normal source for you, but this is close.

@animal-inside
I can't get my normal source for you, but this is close.

I didn’t know this, thanks

@Bagua i seriously thought i had arthritis, but it was my feet joints that hurt the most so i could hardly walk in the morning. then my neck was painful, and then my fingers - resulting in what felt like 20% grip strength...but my major pain was my feet. So, wjen @animal-inside mentioned gout in the toes i went to see the doctor.

as i said, my joints no longer hurt and my face is not nearly as swollen from fluid retention, despite currently running 300mgtest, 200mgdeca, 100mg Primo, and 75mg tren ace.

when i was seriously in pain, i read that Mrs. Dash salt alternative can cause Gout flare ups that feel worse than red meat flare ups