Ford F 350 6.7 L powerstroke upgrades

what do your exhaust temps typically get too if you put your foot into it a bit? What are they when just cruising on the highway?
If I'm accelerating on the highway slightly uphill I have seen them get to high 900. I was told not to go over 1100. This is with no weigh in the truck. Usually cruising on the highway I'm on average 600...around town 400. I have never floored my truck. Not even close. I would like to try but I'm scared to break something lol.

Last edited:
This is my, Dodge Ram! Its the best truck ever! I do not know all the fancy names of the mods as vehicles is not my area of expertise. My husband is the vehicle guy and we only own one normal vehicle, all 2 other vehicles we have are modified or rare!

This is what I can tell you about my truck:

Its a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500, standard transmission, diesel, it has a big turbo in it so it makes a really loud turbo sound when I drive. It's an American truck with a smarty tuner in it so you can change the tune yourself, i do not know how to do this, all i have to do is watch my exhaust temperatures and make sure they do not go over a certain number. It also has a stainless steel exhaust with a big exhaust tube so its really loud. I work on construction sites and everyone loves my truck! I do not know how much power it has, but it has a lot, I do not do burnouts or anything fancy with it, I just drive it. I am sure it can do some cool stuff, but I don't like to drive my vehicles hard.

That's me hugging my truck in the picture because I love it sooooo much :)View attachment 4034

Nice machine PP.

Hence the username

View attachment 4023

My 05 dodge 3500. Dyno’d at 606hp and 1246 ft lbs torque.

63mm borg Warner turbo
43% over II injectors
33% over cp3 injection pump
Fass 165gph fuel pump
ARP head studs
BD intake horn and metal tanked intercooler
Sinister fuel bowl delete so the fass goes straight through to the cp3
Turbo timer and all the gauges
Built BD auto trans for 700hp, haven’t slipped it yet *knock on wood*

it runs about 50 pounds of boost at 2600rpm under load, and smokes like a train when I put my foot into it. Great for doing burnouts on the rainbow crosswalks, it lights the tires up real good.
Just came a little.......

Regards
SonOfOdin

If I'm accelerating on the highway slightly uphill I have seen them get to high 900. I was told not to go over 1100. This is with no weigh in the truck. Usually cruising on the highway I'm on average 600...around town 400. I have never floored my truck. Not even close. I would like to try but I'm scared to break something lol.

thats all very low EGTs, nothing to worry about at all. 1200 is safe for up to 30 seconds. I’ve hit 1500 degrees in mine. I hit 1000-1100 going up steep-ish hills. I’m 800ish cruising on the highway.

getting to a higher number itself isn’t dangerous for the truck, it’s just staying at high EGTs for a period of time. If you cruised on the highway at 1000 consistently then that would be a little sketchy. Your EGTs are very very safe.

I very much doubt you’d break anything if you floored it btw, incase you wanted to try. That would be very very very unlikely and very unlucky lol.

Here's my baby...
2003 VW Golf Tdi
GT 1742 Turbo
3" straight pipe exhaust
11mm IP
764 Power Plus injectors
EGR delete
South Bend clutch
Methanol/Water injection
Malone Stage 5 tune
Consistently gets 5.5L per 100km

Completely rebuilt last summer after it sat in my garage for a few years... Looking to get upgraded front and rear sway bars this spring.

Attachments

• signal-2020-02-27-210331.jpg
    signal-2020-02-27-210331.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
thats all very low EGTs, nothing to worry about at all. 1200 is safe for up to 30 seconds. I’ve hit 1500 degrees in mine. I hit 1000-1100 going up steep-ish hills. I’m 800ish cruising on the highway.

getting to a higher number itself isn’t dangerous for the truck, it’s just staying at high EGTs for a period of time. If you cruised on the highway at 1000 consistently then that would be a little sketchy. Your EGTs are very very safe.

I very much doubt you’d break anything if you floored it btw, incase you wanted to try. That would be very very very unlikely and very unlucky lol.
How fast do u drive on the highway? I find if im not going up hill my exhaust temp is pretty consistent with my speed. I average 600 ish on the highway but im around 530 to 800 on the highway since it's not perfectly flat. Your truck is heavier than mine so i can see how your temps may be a but higher than mine. Good to know about the max exhaust temps. i think it's more of an issue of i were to pull a trailor or something heavy. Then i would have to really pay attention. i find u get to know your truck and u don't really pay attention to it as i know what gear and speed i should be in. When i first got the truck i would look at it all the time. Now i just drive. Maybe once the snow is gone i should floor my truck just to try it. I live in the country so i have some good straight country streets.

How fast do u drive on the highway? I find if im not going up hill my exhaust temp is pretty consistent with my speed. I average 600 ish on the highway but im around 530 to 800 on the highway since it's not perfectly flat. Your truck is heavier than mine so i can see how your temps may be a but higher than mine. Good to know about the max exhaust temps. i think it's more of an issue of i were to pull a trailor or something heavy. Then i would have to really pay attention. i find u get to know your truck and u don't really pay attention to it as i know what gear and speed i should be in. When i first got the truck i would look at it all the time. Now i just drive. Maybe once the snow is gone i should floor my truck just to try it. I live in the country so i have some good straight country streets.

I don’t drive fast on the highway, maybe 100-110

EGTs are relevant to fuel and air. Too much fuel and not enough air (boost) makes your EGTs climb. To get your EGTs down you need more boost. Usually boost and fuel metering are a perfect match, unless one of those things have changed. In your case it’s the boost because you said it has an aftermarket turbo, that’s why I asked. Bigger turbo doesn’t necessarily mean more air because bigger turbo takes more fuel to spool it, so driving at a low RPM you could have a higher level of fuel with little boost and your EGTs can get high. From the sounds of it though it sounds like you picked a turbo that matches your fueling very well.

that’s the case for me because my turbos pretty big relevant to my engine size, so driving without a load on the engine I don’t really have any boost, and as fuel gets added the boost doesn’t increase to match it, which makes it run a little hotter.

If you do hit a hill and see your EGTs start climbing higher than your used to seeing, you can just hit tow haul mode on the end of your shifter and it should downshift you. That will bring your RPM up and give you more boost with fuel metering staying relatively the same, and will decrease your EGTs.

I don’t drive fast on the highway, maybe 100-110

EGTs are relevant to fuel and air. Too much fuel and not enough air (boost) makes your EGTs climb. To get your EGTs down you need more boost. Usually boost and fuel metering are a perfect match, unless one of those things have changed. In your case it’s the boost because you said it has an aftermarket turbo, that’s why I asked. Bigger turbo doesn’t necessarily mean more air because bigger turbo takes more fuel to spool it, so driving at a low RPM you could have a higher level of fuel with little boost and your EGTs can get high. From the sounds of it though it sounds like you picked a turbo that matches your fueling very well.

that’s the case for me because my turbos pretty big relevant to my engine size, so driving without a load on the engine I don’t really have any boost, and as fuel gets added the boost doesn’t increase to match it, which makes it run a little hotter.

If you do hit a hill and see your EGTs start climbing higher than your used to seeing, you can just hit tow haul mode on the end of your shifter and it should downshift you. That will bring your RPM up and give you more boost with fuel metering staying relatively the same, and will decrease your EGTs.
I don't have a tow haul mode at the end of my shifter. I Usually just shift down a gear if i notice that number rising. Basically the same thing Im guessing i just do it manually.

Thanks for the explanation though. I really don't know a lot about vehicles.

I don't have a tow haul mode at the end of my shifter. I Usually just shift down a gear if i notice that number rising. Basically the same thing Im guessing i just do it manually.

Thanks for the explanation though. I really don't know a lot about vehicles.
BTW, I believe you have the 5.9 cummins in your truck. That is one of the most bullet proof diesel engines around. Very sought after.
I think it was the 03-04 models that had this model of engine.

BTW, I believe you have the 5.9 cummins in your truck. That is one of the most bullet proof diesel engines around. Very sought after.
Yes I do and your right, this was why my husband wanted this particular year and this particular truck. He is the car guy, as you can tell from talking to me i just know what he tells me and what I can remember, some things he explains to me and I really don't get it because he knows vehicles so well that some of that is too complex for me and I have not spend years and years building cars and repairing them and its not common knowledge. I also have a meter that tells me my coolant temperature, i like this so I know in the winter when my engine is nice and warm and ready to drive. I do my best to take care of it. The truck also has a stock pyrometer that is attached to it. I didn't take a picture of that though, but I haven't seen that on anyone else's truck before. Its a really cool truck i hope it lasts me a really long time. I have approx 185,000 miles on it. I get the truck rust checked too because it is old. Rust just kills the body of all vehicles. Its evil.

I am looking forward to seeing what you have :)

I agree.. unless you have some serious mods or pulling a serious load your pretty safe.

Regular driving with a heavy load up hills are more serious than flooring an empty truck for a couple blocks.

dodge had the 5.9 Cummins for a very long time from 91-07.5. Only the injection systems really changed, other than they went to a 24 valve head when they switched the the vp44 injection system.

91-98 they were mechanical injection 12 valve head, then 98-02 they switched to the 24 valve head and changed the injection system to the vp44.
03-07 they changed the injection system to common rail, which they still use the same injection system in their 6.7s to this day. Duramax went common rail about the same time as dodge, but ford took longer to do it (08 they went common rail) and ford still uses common rail to this day too.

Common rail is the superior injection system as of right now. No other Injection systems could make the same power and still meet emissions and fuel mileage ratings.

I agree.. unless you have some serious mods or pulling a serious load your pretty safe.

Regular driving with a heavy load up hills are more serious than flooring an empty truck for a couple blocks.

especially in a 3rd gen dodge lol you gotta have deep pockets or be really really good friends with someone who owns a transmission shop hahaha

especially in a 3rd gen dodge lol you gotta have deep pockets or be really really good friends with someone who owns a transmission shop hahaha

I know a guy who bought a brand new 2015 (maybe 2014) dodge 1 ton dully with the 6.7 who went through 2 or 3 transmissions within the first 2 years he owned it. HE sold it after it needed a 3rd lol.. He never did any mods... All stock.. It was a older farmer. He blew the transmissions pulled a smaller stock trailer.

I am not really a truck snob, but they guys I work with pick on one another for having a dodge vs a ford and you have one of each. I don't really get it.

You have a very nice property if that's yours, or wherever those photos are from looks nice :)
I am not loyal to any brand really....lol They all have good and bad points and lemons abound with any brand.

That is one of my properties. The one with green trees and trailer is our Vancouver island farm, the log home is in Northern BC. We have one more farm in Alberta near Edmonton. We collect farms.
I've always believed you are rich if you have nutrient rich land and very good water and all of our farms have lots of both.
Looking for one more right now and then finitooo.
Then we pick one for early retirement and sell the rest.
All doing great except the Edmonton one is staying steady or rising in price very slowly, hoping AB can turn it around soon down the road.