Driving to Montreal

bigcanadian

Trusted Member
I'm driving to Montreal on Saturday to pick up a piece of Atlantis equipment. I have only been to Montreal once back in 2006 or 2007 with my wife. Montreal is a beautiful city with old architecture and great food. We took the train because I had no interest in driving in downtown Montreal. I am glad I didn't! We couldn't believe how CRAZY drivers are there! Toronto drivers have nothing on them! On Saturday I do say on the major highway 98% of the time. It's 401E until Quebec which then turns into Autoroute 20. Exit to hit Autoroute 30 and then look for Autoroute 40 for 48km which takes me into Montreal island. I'm only off A40 for a total of 5km to get to the seller. I've made insanely detailed directions including pictures of the signs of where I need to turn onto. The last thing I want is to get lost in Montreal! Does anyone make the trip to Montreal? Am I psyching myself out? I do NOT have a cell phone (have no use for one) so using the GPS is not an option. I think my biggest fear is fear of the unknown. I have no anxiety about driving around Toronto or in and around downtown Toronto because its somewhat familiar. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated to (y)

BTW this is the piece I am buying....worth the headache I feel! Absolutely mint! There isn't even any paint wore off around the holes in the weight stack.

Attachments

• New Atl cable #6.JPG
    New Atl cable #6.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 22
I drove a camper van around Montreal. It was a fucking nightmare. Even with GPS we still took a lot of wrong turns. There’s like roads right next to each other but one is going down under a bridge and the other is going up to exit or become the bridge. It’s not easy to distinguish the two on a little screen. This was in about 2011.

Actually Durk just last night I dropped her off at Pearson and she will be gone for the next 26 days.

I'm driving to Montreal on Saturday to pick up a piece of Atlantis equipment. I have only been to Montreal once back in 2006 or 2007 with my wife. Montreal is a beautiful city with old architecture and great food. We took the train because I had no interest in driving in downtown Montreal. I am glad I didn't! We couldn't believe how CRAZY drivers are there! Toronto drivers have nothing on them! On Saturday I do say on the major highway 98% of the time. It's 401E until Quebec which then turns into Autoroute 20. Exit to hit Autoroute 30 and then look for Autoroute 40 for 48km which takes me into Montreal island. I'm only off A40 for a total of 5km to get to the seller. I've made insanely detailed directions including pictures of the signs of where I need to turn onto. The last thing I want is to get lost in Montreal! Does anyone make the trip to Montreal? Am I psyching myself out? I do NOT have a cell phone (have no use for one) so using the GPS is not an option. I think my biggest fear is fear of the unknown. I have no anxiety about driving around Toronto or in and around downtown Toronto because its somewhat familiar. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated to (y)

BTW this is the piece I am buying....worth the headache I feel! Absolutely mint! There isn't even any paint wore off around the holes in the weight stack.

bring your passport. unless I am mistaken us Canadian's need one in the belle province lmfao :)

Jeez Englishmustard that's not what I wanted to hear LOL. I want my confidence built up ;) not tore down more.
I drove a camper van around Montreal. It was a fucking nightmare. Even with GPS we still took a lot of wrong turns. There’s like roads right next to each other but one is going down under a bridge and the other is going up to exit or become the bridge. It’s not easy to distinguish the two on a little screen. This was in about 2011.

It happen to me when I was going to the Montreal airport.

I'm going again next next week. The one wrong ext took me over 40min to get back.

Last edited:
I can’t remember the routes,other than crossing onto the island at Vaudreuil,where are you going?Havent been there since 77.

It’s been a while since I was there but I do remember that unless there were no cars around do not try and cross the street as a pedestrian or you’re putting your life at risk!

I don't think this is a very good answer, but looking at the kijiji google map, its a few blocks away from Parc Pierre-Bernard.

It’s been a while since I was there but I do remember that unless there were no cars around do not try and cross the street as a pedestrian or you’re putting your life at risk!

That's what we found when we went there back in 2006/7.

Its a quiet side street where I am going so it shouldn't be a big issue.

Does anyone have anything positive to add :(

I went out drinking downtown maybe last year or the year before. They were using police like crossing guards lol

Anx is you’re biggest foe in this situation. Don’t get in your head.

Stay relaxed whatever happens. You have all the time in the world. If you get mixed up... pull over when it’s safe and try to figure out where you went wrong.

I’ve done a lot of international driving.... yes Montreal isn’t a good time but also isn’t the worst of places. You can’t get yourself wound up if things get turned around. Again anx and stress are your biggest foes. You should try Dublin... whoa fuck me. But at least they don’t have super roundabouts like in the UK. But I digress.....

I t would be hugely beneficial to have a cell. Maybe bring a friend that has one or borrow even? The gps can be very helpful... but they cause problems sometimes too if they are inaccurate. Having the ability to call the guy you’re buying it from is a huge benefit though because no doubt if you’re close, he can tell you where you are if you describe a few landmarks.

That and get zuesy’s or ritch’s numbers.... they can take you out for some smoked meat sammiches and for a few beers at one of the fine gentlemen’s clubs. Make it a weekend... the wife is gone! lol!!!!

Go early, traffic is fucking bad in mtl, only reason i hate going there .
wouldn't worry about getting lost , one thing nice about mtl is the people are very friendly .
You say you don't have a cell but do you have a phone with wifi, because there app even with no wifi u can use a gps. and every mc donal or Tim hortin has free wifi.

Anx is you’re biggest foe in this situation. Don’t get in your head.

Stay relaxed whatever happens. You have all the time in the world. If you get mixed up... pull over when it’s safe and try to figure out where you went wrong.

I’ve done a lot of international driving.... yes Montreal isn’t a good time but also isn’t the worst of places. You can’t get yourself wound up if things get turned around. Again anx and stress are your biggest foes. You should try Dublin... whoa fuck me. But at least they don’t have super roundabouts like in the UK. But I digress.....

I t would be hugely beneficial to have a cell. Maybe bring a friend that has one or borrow even? The gps can be very helpful... but they cause problems sometimes too if they are inaccurate. Having the ability to call the guy you’re buying it from is a huge benefit though because no doubt if you’re close, he can tell you where you are if you describe a few landmarks.

That and get zuesy’s or ritch’s numbers.... they can take you out for some smoked meat sammiches and for a few beers at one of the fine gentlemen’s clubs. Make it a weekend... the wife is gone! lol!!!!

Staying calm if something happens.....yeah easier said than done :)! I once drove in the Phillipines in a place called Bicol. It wasn't far so it doesn't really count but traffic there makes Montreal traffic look tame. The seller is older so I really don't know if he could help. I have very good directions with pictures of signs so if I get lost (God forbid!) I should be able to get help from someone even if they can't speak english just by pointing to my paper. The worst thing, I think, is if I borrowed my brother or mother's cell phone I could get a conflicting "turn here" between the phone and my directions. Montreal is a great city but I want to get there as early as possible, load up, and get home as soon as I can! I have less than zero ambition to hang around. And thank you for the ONLY positive post in my thread :ROFLMAO:

Go early, traffic is fucking bad in mtl, only reason i hate going there .
wouldn't worry about getting lost , one thing nice about mtl is the people are very friendly .
You say you don't have a cell but do you have a phone with wifi, because there app even with no wifi u can use a gps. and every mc donal or Tim hortin has free wifi.

The plan is to leave no later than 4:30am but I think its going to be closer to 4am. I'll have everything packed the night before so I just need to go....after giving the cats breakfast of course. Its funny....I'm worried about driving to/through Montreal because I have never done it. Going to Toronto, even if we (my wife goes with me 99% of the time) are forced to go during rush hour, never make me think twice. But I have heard lots of people say they would NEVER drive to Toronto, or around Toronto, or use the DVP to go downtown because they have never driven there. They prefer to stay in our smallish city.