DOMS

addy

Trusted Member
Lets talk about DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for a second. What is considered normal and how do you tell if its good soreness or you overworked yourself?

Reason I ask is because 2 days ago did some curls for the first time in months with 10 lb dumbells but managed to hit enough reps until failure. Now 2 days later my biceps are so sore I can hardly straighten my arms out and Ive never experienced muscle soreness like this before. I can handle the pain no problem (have had chronic back pain for 10+ years now) honestly Im just really worried I might have done damage some how, and I just cant deal with anymore injuries because they stop me from all my activities and I go absolutely crazy.

Lets talk about DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for a second. What is considered normal and how do you tell if its good soreness or you overworked yourself?

Reason I ask is because 2 days ago did some curls for the first time in months with 10 lb dumbells but managed to hit enough reps until failure. Now 2 days later my biceps are so sore I can hardly straighten my arms out and Ive never experienced muscle soreness like this before. I can handle the pain no problem (have had chronic back pain for 10+ years now) honestly Im just really worried I might have done damage some how, and I just cant deal with anymore injuries because they stop me from all my activities and I go absolutely crazy.
Id say you over worked them for sure and stretched out the tendents ,i did same thing 6 weeks ago couldn't strengthen out my arms. My nutrition wasnt on point or my protien at the time so it took awhile to heal. Now i dont get to sore after workouts now that my conditioning is better.
Make sure your nutrition is good and slowly gwt back in it.
But yeh i couldn't strengthen my arms for 3 days, i shouod have went less weight.till i worked up my ligaments again

You can hurt your muscles in many ways.With high reps I doubt it is serious 100%.

First leg day back in the gym I worked out so hard my legs seriously didn’t just feel sore, they felt injured for a solid 5-6 days. I thought I’d never recover and was fucked lol. It will get better, youll be ok.

Iv picked up some of this i havent tried it yet but suppose tonbe good for tissue strength and joints and such
Screenshot_20200601-233643_Amazon Shopping.jpg

phew thanks guys thats a big relief.. I was thinking holy crap dude did you just injure yourself again?.. The thing is with gear that extra strength can be a double edged sword because you can F your tendons/ligaments up since they cant compete with your muscles.

phew thanks guys thats a big relief.. I was thinking holy crap dude did you just injure yourself again?.. The thing is with gear that extra strength can be a double edged sword because you can F your tendons/ligaments up since they cant compete with your muscles.
You likely need 7-10 days to be completely healed.

Must've have done a whole lot of reps. Yikes. Eat alot of bananas and don't rep out like that anymore. Seriously. Why you tearing it down like that??

Must've have done a whole lot of reps. Yikes. Eat alot of bananas and don't rep out like that anymore. Seriously. Why you tearing it down like that??
Well after months of not being able to lift I guess I went full ham. Im so impatient and wanted to get in shape for summer but looks like I will miss that opportunity anyways. I lift until my muscle cant do another proper rep but I guess it was too much too soon as I just had my 3rd surgery 5 weeks ago so that doesnt help, but Dr said I was ok to start training again. Actually had a banana today which I normally never eat.

I used to get wicked muscle cramping and pain sometimes after a heavy morning. Chest, back, forearms, etc. I would just be sitting there a few hours later and if i moved the wrong way it would trigger it. Like being stabbed. After watching some Stan Efferding videos about sodium i started pounding sea salt to my food and the cramps stopped.

I used to get wicked muscle cramping and pain sometimes after a heavy morning. Chest, back, forearms, etc. I would just be sitting there a few hours later and if i moved the wrong way it would trigger it. Like being stabbed. After watching some Stan Efferding videos about sodium i started pounding sea salt to my food and the cramps stopped.

This was a mother fakin awsome video.iv been told my whole life not to eat salt becasue i salt everything!!! And iv recently just picked up some kelp for iodine!!!!!

This was a mother fakin awsome video.iv been told my whole life not to eat salt becasue i salt everything!!! And iv recently just picked up some kelp for iodine!!!!!
hehe just bought some iodine salt, will start adding it to more of my foods now though! Especially cause Im sweating my ass off recently so losing a lot of sodium.

@superbeast man that video was awesome!! totally explains what Ive been feeling lately. constant need to piss like every 10 minutes+sweating one day I had the worst foot cramps Ive ever felt, my toes were doing some crazy twisted positions and just felt awful.

Last edited:
If you are taking in extra sodium, you need extra potassium. If taking extra potassium, you need to ensure you have enough Magnesium.
RDA Magnesium is 400-450 mg, RDA for Potassium is 4500 mg. We are all deficient in mag and Potassium, well most of us are anyway.

I call that sore bicep feeling the T-rex, damn I walk around like a fkn t-rex for a few days. Good to go out for lunch with friends at this time as you literally cannot reach your wallet. I have a few friends I call t-rex at lunch as their arms suddenly become shorter and cannot reach their wallets.
ADDY, go with sea salt rather than iodized salt. Better mineral composition and less processed.
If you need extra potassium go for a product called no salt available in most grocery stores, that is potassium chloride and a bit of potassium iodide and an inert mineral to stop clumping.
Be careful with too much salt addition and Mag,pot out of balance brother.
Magnesium and potassium alon help majorly to fix spasms.
Baking soda can help with lactic acid burn...That's another topic for another conversation.

If you are taking in extra sodium, you need extra potassium. If taking extra potassium, you need to ensure you have enough Magnesium.
RDA Magnesium is 400-450 mg, RDA for Potassium is 4500 mg. We are all deficient in mag and Potassium, well most of us are anyway.

I call that sore bicep feeling the T-rex, damn I walk around like a fkn t-rex for a few days. Good to go out for lunch with friends at this time as you literally cannot reach your wallet. I have a few friends I call t-rex at lunch as their arms suddenly become shorter and cannot reach their wallets.
ADDY, go with sea salt rather than iodized salt. Better mineral composition and less processed.
If you need extra potassium go for a product called no salt available in most grocery stores, that is potassium chloride and a bit of potassium iodide and an inert mineral to stop clumping.
Be careful with too much salt addition and Mag,pot out of balance brother.
Magnesium and potassium alon help majorly to fix spasms.
Baking soda can help with lactic acid burn...That's another topic for another conversation.

I tried your tip that you mentioned a while ago too on the substitute salt stuff and I dunno if placebo or not but felt better/little more energetic, that was a while back. Checked the ingredients on it and it was indeed potassium-somethingruther, good stuff!

I tried your tip that you mentioned a while ago too on the substitute salt stuff and I dunno if placebo or not but felt better/little more energetic, that was a while back. Checked the ingredients on it and it was indeed potassium-somethingruther, good stuff!
You bet, Potassium is one of the most important minerals in the body. It helps regulate fluid balance, muscle contractions and nerve signals. What's more, a high-potassium diet may help reduce blood pressure and water retention, protect against stroke and prevent osteoporosis and kidney stones.
BUT, BE CAREFUL. Only use it sparingly. We should always try and get potassium from foods first. But if you are sweating and working out a lot or not eating potassium rich foods etc, start with 1/4 tsp. I use 1/4 t a few times per day personally as I don't eat Potassium rich foods often.

If you have hyperkalemia, you have too much potassium in your blood. The body needs a delicate balance of potassium to help the heart and other muscles work properly. But too much potassium in your blood can lead to dangerous, and possibly deadly, changes in heart rhythm.
If your levels go too low you can develop hypokalemia, the level of potassium in blood is too low. A Low level can have many causes but usually results from vomiting, diarrhea, adrenal gland disorders, or use of diuretics. A low level of Potassium will make muscles feel weak, cramp, twitch, or even become paralyzed, and abnormal heart rhythms may develop.

For me the first question is "where is the pain?" If it's in the muscle belly then usually for me that's great, I seek that. It's an indicator that you worked the muscle hard. Note indicator, not proof. Also absence of that soreness doesn't mean you had an ineffective session either.

Pain in the connective tissue is what I'd be much more concerned about. Muscle belly soreness can be treated and mitigated through various recuperative techniques and nutrition (also a recuperative technique for us if you think about it). Those efforts can contribute to hypertrophy and strength gains pretty directly. This is the crux of bodybuilding, "tear down and repair better" or whatever catch phrase you prefer.

I'd call the damage to and repair of connective tissues to be less direct (if not too severe) but ultimately more important to health and longevity.

For me the first question is "where is the pain?" If it's in the muscle belly then usually for me that's great, I seek that. It's an indicator that you worked the muscle hard. Note indicator, not proof. Also absence of that soreness doesn't mean you had an ineffective session either.

Pain in the connective tissue is what I'd be much more concerned about. Muscle belly soreness can be treated and mitigated through various recuperative techniques and nutrition (also a recuperative technique for us if you think about it). Those efforts can contribute to hypertrophy and strength gains pretty directly. This is the crux of bodybuilding, "tear down and repair better" or whatever catch phrase you prefer.

I'd call the damage to and repair of connective tissues to be less direct (if not too severe) but ultimately more important to health and longevity.
Hey gondar how do you tell if its connective tissue pain or just muscle pain? I was definitely worried it was connective tissue related.

However I think Im home free because today my arms is noticeably less painful (still hurts but waayy less). Ive also been adding some salt to my gatorade which I swear has made me feel a lot better overall, could very well be my imagination but I feel less tired in general and able to get a few extra reps in where I would normally putter out.

Still massaging my biceps out with magnesium spray & hot pack

Hey gondar how do you tell if its connective tissue pain or just muscle pain? I was definitely worried it was connective tissue related.

However I think Im home free because today my arms is noticeably less painful (still hurts but waayy less). Ive also been adding some salt to my gatorade which I swear has made me feel a lot better overall, could very well be my imagination but I feel less tired in general and able to get a few extra reps in where I would normally putter out.

Still massaging my biceps out with magnesium spray & hot pack

Location as in first post mainly. Connective tissue is at the ends of muscle, connecting the muscle to an anchor point. ie "sore chest" finger poke in the middle hurts - muscle belly, pain at shoulder or sternum - conn tissues

You bet, Potassium is one of the most important minerals in the body. It helps regulate fluid balance, muscle contractions and nerve signals. What's more, a high-potassium diet may help reduce blood pressure and water retention, protect against stroke and prevent osteoporosis and kidney stones.
BUT, BE CAREFUL. Only use it sparingly. We should always try and get potassium from foods first. But if you are sweating and working out a lot or not eating potassium rich foods etc, start with 1/4 tsp. I use 1/4 t a few times per day personally as I don't eat Potassium rich foods often.

If you have hyperkalemia, you have too much potassium in your blood. The body needs a delicate balance of potassium to help the heart and other muscles work properly. But too much potassium in your blood can lead to dangerous, and possibly deadly, changes in heart rhythm.
If your levels go too low you can develop hypokalemia, the level of potassium in blood is too low. A Low level can have many causes but usually results from vomiting, diarrhea, adrenal gland disorders, or use of diuretics. A low level of Potassium will make muscles feel weak, cramp, twitch, or even become paralyzed, and abnormal heart rhythms may develop.

ok good to know that it's possible to over do it, havn't felt any negative effects yet, but with the heart we musn't fuck around, maybe should measure out a little more usually just sprinkle it on, one time I kept adding it to the food it was so good lol