Disgusting

agree with ya, its confusing but you still can't dispute the science now. We are where we're at. Also, since you like conspiracies, did you ever consider the WHO may have advised against the public wearing a mask so world shortages wouldn't be as bad as toilet paper. In the beginning, it was the Chinese public that cleared out most of the mask supplies before front lines could get them.

Show me the science where a homemade mask protects against a virus.
i may have missed it but i havent seen activist suggesting materials? I guess just anything as long as they don the symbol of fear.
I will make mine of paper. Or maybe crochet like that Allyssa nut job. Lol

Reactions: 3ml
Show me the science where a homemade mask protects against a virus.
i may have missed it but i havent seen activist suggesting materials? I guess just anything as long as they don the symbol of fear.
I will make mine of paper. Or maybe crochet like that Allyssa nut job. Lol

Here is one study. I'm sure there are faults to be found, but it's probably better than a guestimate. It tests a bunch of different fabrics and their effectiveness. Some surprisingly better much than others.

agree with ya, its confusing but you still can't dispute the science now. We are where we're at. Also, since you like conspiracies, did you ever consider the WHO may have advised against the public wearing a mask so world shortages wouldn't be as bad as toilet paper. In the beginning, it was the Chinese public that cleared out most of the mask supplies before front lines could get them.

And this statement of “follow the science” seems to be very over played during the past few weeks. We should not let this be a permanent get out of jail free card each time our public health officials or the WHO clearly fucks up and provides the public with misinformation.

Here is one study. I'm sure there are faults to be found, but it's probably better than a guestimate. It tests a bunch of different fabrics and their effectiveness. Some surprisingly better much than others.

So should we disregard the previous ones that claimed only N95 andP100 are effective? Why does it change so often?
And sorry but your link is just silly. T shirt fabric? I bet i can pull 5 t shirts from my drawer and all different materials. There is no t shirt fabric. And towels? If you are willing to wrap a 1/4” thick towel around your face just in case when its 30 deg out, go for it. I prefer breathing.

Fun story.
kid and i were out on the quads the other day. We stopped by a field, got out and weee talking to the cows and looking at the little calfs. One took off running for no reason. Then, all the others just fucked off running like hell.
Kid asks why do they do that? Just run cause the other one ran?
I said thats what cattle do. They cant think for themselves so they just follow the herd.

I'm adamant about this one. Due to being in health care for the vast majority of my life and having to deal with AIDS (that really sucked), Hep C, SARS , H1N1 and now COVID, I feel I can speak my mind and relay some interesting stuff.
All of my friends are either Professional Martial Artists, Healthcare Workers or Military and all have been hit with this pandemic drastically, but in different ways. I learned this morning that Emil Farkas is closing his Hollywood Dojo after fifty years in the same spot because his landlord is going broke. Emil is 75. Wears a mask and is tough as nails. Always was even when he traipsed back to TO his second country. I learned from Pat McCarthy that Emil was closing his Dojo. Pat wears a mask. Lives in LA now and is also tough as nails. He is just a kid at 67. They wear masks to protect others and are far from being fearful of anything.
My ex-wife (no longer wifey-ex wifey) is pissed at people for not wearing masks. She is a Community Care Nurse and works in one of the LTC's that was hit with many deaths. She went in after staff walked out. She didn't have to. Believe me when I say she is not afraid of much. Let alone a virus. She is afraid of people not taking this seriously. She watches people die.
I recently found out some Medics I know from the military are now in LTC's. They spent time in Afghanistan. Being soldiers, they admit fearing. Heck they are all getting sick.
If you don't want to wear a mask-don't, but don't call the people who wear one afraid, because they are not. They are battling this thing daily and deserve respect. not derision.
I wear a mask. I would hate to infect someone if I am asymptomatic and a carrier. I have to get a test this week.
Public shaming?
You've listed some great places and incidences where a mask would be appropriate. However, I think your follow up statements (and disdain) are flawed. I have never gotten a flu shot. Does this make me selfish? Should I feel ashamed that someone somewhere may have died from the flu?
I do not wear a mask. Again, should I feel guilty? I do not think so. I think it would be selfish if I was visiting LTC facilities. Or hobb-knobbing with the at risk demographics.
Let's say I do catch this cov2. Unknowingly and asymptomatic. Is it my lack of ppe that contributes to someones elses infection or is it theirs?
A fight analogy: Is it the throwers fault they hit you or is it your fault you failed to prevent it?
There is a time and a place where everything is appropriate. But saying people walking down the street should be wearing masks sets up a lifetime of mask wearing. And then where does it end? And who gets to decide?
If I walked up to you and started chirping off at you for wearing a mask, you would have every right to tell me where to go. But the same goes is roles were reversed. As noble and selfless as some are by wearing a mask, the general population that do, are probably doing so out of fear. And it would be that fear that drives the Karen's and public shamer's to lash out at those that choose not to wear one.
Situations dictate the appropriateness and the weight of the argument.

I didn't see those studies. Honestly, I've heard people claim the whole time wearing a mask is effective. They suggested it in 1918.

What? Really? You have not heard health officals say N95 only?
Well, for the shortage of ppe, i will just take my used clothes to the hospital instead of the salvation army. Problem solved.

What? Really? You have not heard health officals say N95 only?
Well, for the shortage of ppe, i will just take my used clothes to the hospital instead of the salvation army. Problem solved.

I've heard health officials say that they want only N95 masks.... and should they not have them? They are still proven to be most effective. But I haven't heard any health officials say the public shouldn't bother wearing anything if it's not N95.

I think its clear that the only ones flip Flopping on the subject are health organizations tied to politics.

You've listed some great places and incidences where a mask would be appropriate. However, I think your follow up statements (and disdain) are flawed. I have never gotten a flu shot. Does this make me selfish? Should I feel ashamed that someone somewhere may have died from the flu?
I do not wear a mask. Again, should I feel guilty? I do not think so. I think it would be selfish if I was visiting LTC facilities. Or hobb-knobbing with the at risk demographics.
Let's say I do catch this cov2. Unknowingly and asymptomatic. Is it my lack of ppe that contributes to someones elses infection or is it theirs?
A fight analogy: Is it the throwers fault they hit you or is it your fault you failed to prevent it?
There is a time and a place where everything is appropriate. But saying people walking down the street should be wearing masks sets up a lifetime of mask wearing. And then where does it end? And who gets to decide?
If I walked up to you and started chirping off at you for wearing a mask, you would have every right to tell me where to go. But the same goes is roles were reversed. As noble and selfless as some are by wearing a mask, the general population that do, are probably doing so out of fear. And it would be that fear that drives the Karen's and public shamer's to lash out at those that choose not to wear one.
Situations dictate the appropriateness and the weight of the argument.

I don't agree with public shaming... first off.

Your point about the flu shot, meh, up to you to get one or not. It is an injection of something into your body. Understandable that it should be your choice. Not really the same as someone asking you to wear something temporarily on your face. Not sure where you work, so maybe this won't apply to you.... but I feel like a lot of these people complaining about being forced to wear a mask probably all comply when their job asks them to. Why is it different? How come they don't plan a walkout at work when PPE is required? Because it's gotten to the point that its a statement of human rights. When it really shouldn't have. Partly, that came from the top down.

I've heard health officials say that they want only N95 masks.... and should they not have them? They are still proven to be most effective. But I haven't heard any health officials say the public shouldn't bother wearing anything if it's not N95.

Of course health workers should have them. thats how they keep their patients safe during procedures. If you are that vulnerable that if i dont wear a mask without you getting sick, stay home. Be safe. Like if you allergic to peanuts, dont go visit the Kraft factory.

You can easily find articles going either way. Pro mask or no mask. So organizations will tell you both, depends on the date and what narrative they were pushing at that time.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...u-should-wear-a-mask-is-just-so-confusing/amp

This article only outlines the WHO recommending not to wear a mask. And again, I'll refer you to the conspiracy theory. :sneaky:// the article also largely backs studies that suggest wearing a mask is effective.

Thank you! fuck man, I feel the same.. so refreshing someone in this forum actually shares an opinion with me. lol. . why "not wearing a mask" went political is insane to me. Why a leader like Trump refuses to do it is mind-boggling. If there is one thing most people on this forum have agreed on is that we as a society don't really know for sure what the fuck is going on. Currently, there is no 100% right answer on how to handle this or how to fix this. The possible truest and easiest 100% is that wearing a mask reduces water droplets emitted in the air by people who wear it, which is how this virus spreads.

I fucking hate wearing a mask, it sucks. Do I wear one every day? no. But I don't try and create youtube content if Costco or Apple store asks me to wear one. It's not an infringement on your rights, it's not permanent, and you're not less of a man for wearing one.

Cloth masks have been proven to be effective, not sure guesstimates should really be part of a sound argument. Remember, the science is for this to pick up or deflect water droplets exiting your mouth, not to filter the air coming in. By wearing one it allows people to be a bit closer with lower risk of spread. In part, its a numbers / % game.

People should be considering this as an act of kindness like holding open a door for someone or saying thank you to someone bagging your groceries. Not as an act of oppression.

@3ml Here are some scientific findings on the effectiveness of dish rags for ya.

"For tea towel fabric, studied with aerosol-sized particles, filtration efficiency in experiments using a bacterial marker was 83% with 1 layer and 97% with 2 layers, compared with 96% for a medical mask (4)"

source.

Ok well two layers isn’t feasible. Way too restrictive.

83 percent
Sounds great except a tiny tiny percentage of people have this virus, survivability is almost certain. Should we make it law to wear condoms? They are extremely effective at stopping aids and other nasty diseases. But it’s a choice
We should be allowed choices.
If you want to wear a mask good for you.
I will not wear one it makes no sense

Ok well two layers isn’t feasible. Way too restrictive.

83 percent
Sounds great except a tiny tiny percentage of people have this virus, survivability is almost certain. Should we make it law to wear condoms? They are extremely effective at stopping aids and other nasty diseases. But it’s a choice
We should be allowed choices.
If you want to wear a mask good for you.
I will not wear one it makes no sense

lol, k.

So the question is why now? Why after we “flattened the curve”?
Were all these doctors negligent at the beginning? Not one of them knew if we wrapped our t shirt around our face we could have flattened the curve quicker? This is my issue. We are asking for more extreme measures now that we are going in a positive direction. When this was at its peak, we were told straight up NO MASK. Cant use the excuse saving for health professionals cause we are still doing this. Why didnt they say please make your own face covering? Are we really supposed to believe this is newly discovered science? Like corona virus is new? Cut the bullshit. If they truly are effective great. But if thats the case we need to force our top doctors out of their current positions and put them on trial for negligence causing death because that would make them 100% responsible for providing false information. They said no. So were they wrong then or wrong now? Either way they are clearly incompetent. And all connected to WHO got it wrong at the same time? Fuck off. Where does all the trust stem from?