COVID-19 and Your Significant Other

The Old Guy

Village idiot
I noticed @Grindtight had mentioned that his wife had gone off the deep end as a result of the lockdown. So I thought I’d make a thread to see how others spouses/ gfs are dealing with the lockdown.

My gf works in dental and has been off work for almost 9 weeks now. Financially she is fine but not working that long for her is difficult. We have only been together a year right now so I’m doing my best to support her but fuck does she have a short fuse. Talked to her about it once already and it was better but I can see everything annoys her.

Ive worked right through and I think she resents it a bit.

Oh well life could be a lot worse, I could be stuck in isolation with my ex wife. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The wife is a hairdresser. She was recently called back to work. I think she liked being home, to be honest. She is a little annoyed that "Hairdressing" was one of the first things to open up in Manitoba. She doesn't feel as though it's essential at all, and can't really do it while social distancing herself. We're pretty lucky in MB not to be affected much. She misses the GYM more than she missed work.

As far as me and the woman. I have noticed we have been a little more edgy with eachother lately. We don’t ever yell at eachother and we have only ever had a couple small flare ups during arguments.

I have been laid off, but I really don’t give a fuck. I’ve worked so hard for so many years in the oil and gas that I’m ok with the time off. I have zero debt and plenty of cash on hand.
As far as the woman though her job had been dangling by a thread. I suspect her company like many many others will be bankrupt by the fall. She is very stressed. I’m trying to keep her happy. I got some gym equipment last week so that is helping as training is a massive part of her life. But in reality she may get worse. It’s harder and harder to motivate her to get out of the house.

My wife quit her job in Jan and was taking some time off to be with our kids while she decided what path to take next. The timing couldn't have been better.

I hate to say this while others are suffering, but this Covid lockdown has been the best thing for my family that I could have ever dreamed of. The amount of time I'm spending with my kids is amazing, and my wife and I are closer than ever, and at eachother like rabbits. She cried the other day when I said I will most likely be going back to work in June. We could live like this forever.

Mine works in HR for the city. Shes been working from home during all of this.
I had the option to work or not so i took a layoff when Ford shut things down. But i went back to work 2 weeks later cause i couldnt stand to be in the same house as her while she was working. She freaks and stresses about everything. Plus she was always on zoom doing conference calls so i basically had to be super quiet for most of the day.

Mine works in HR for the city. Shes been working from home during all of this.
I had the option to work or not so i took a layoff when Ford shut things down. But i went back to work 2 weeks later cause i couldnt stand to be in the same house as her while she was working. She freaks and stresses about everything. Plus she was always on zoom doing conference calls so i basically had to be super quiet for most of the day.

Watched a video of a husband who dressed up as Waldo and would sit still in the background of his wifes zoom meetings.. lol thought that was pretty good.

At first my wife having to teach my grandson drove her nuts. My grandsons teacher would send over half assed homework full of grammatical, or mathematical errors (she retires at the end of this year so no fucks given) and my wife would lose it.
Since my grandson has to come into work with us and sit in the coffee room she feels bad for him, and has now been hammering out a 6 hour day into 4, plus business doubled and increased her workload. She is a juggernaut and gets it done, but uses her anger to push thru.
The worst part for her was the lack of freedom. Even though she isn’t a shopaholic, or buys a lot, she likes to look, and make plans and was not able to do so.
We were chatting while drinking beer last night, and she hopes that maybe the world will go back now to his it was when she was a child. People hanging around each other, holidays taken close to home. More time spent with family and so on, I agree because that was being lost in our newer society.
Truthfully it’s been, run, run, run, who really has time to get upset, just keep pushing forward and try to keep up, lol.

At first my wife having to teach my grandson drove her nuts. My grandsons teacher would send over half assed homework full of grammatical, or mathematical errors (she retires at the end of this year so no fucks given) and my wife would lose it.
Since my grandson has to come into work with us and sit in the coffee room she feels bad for him, and has now been hammering out a 6 hour day into 4, plus business doubled and increased her workload. She is a juggernaut and gets it done, but uses her anger to push thru.
The worst part for her was the lack of freedom. Even though she isn’t a shopaholic, or buys a lot, she likes to look, and make plans and was not able to do so.
We were chatting while drinking beer last night, and she hopes that maybe the world will go back now to his it was when she was a child. People hanging around each other, holidays taken close to home. More time spent with family and so on, I agree because that was being lost in our newer society.
Truthfully it’s been, run, run, run, who really has time to get upset, just keep pushing forward and try to keep up, lol.

Kind of my hope too. That maybe we can be less focused on having more and be happy with a little less.

Interesting topic The Old Guy. I have been off 8wks, but my wife is an essential worker. She works 7am-7pm instead of 9am-9pm so its nice that she's home early. Even when I would days, I still waited for her to get home and that's after showering, feeding the cats, cleaning litter boxes, and vacuuming. I do what I can so she can enjoy her days off. I'm going grocery shopping this afternoon, took one of our cats to the vet on Friday, anything I can do. No fights or arguments. The bills are still being paid so maybe that's why. I should be going back in a couple of weeks so my fantasy is coming to an end.

Interesting topic The Old Guy. I have been off 8wks, but my wife is an essential worker. She works 7am-7pm instead of 9am-9pm so its nice that she's home early. Even when I would days, I still waited for her to get home and that's after showering, feeding the cats, cleaning litter boxes, and vacuuming. I do what I can so she can enjoy her days off. I'm going grocery shopping this afternoon, took one of our cats to the vet on Friday, anything I can do. No fights or arguments. The bills are still being paid so maybe that's why. I should be going back in a couple of weeks so my fantasy is coming to an end.

You are living the dream. I always wanted to be a kept man.

No kept man :(. I'm still being paid by my company (although its roughly $455-$470 less take home than my "regular" pay) so I'm still paying my half of the hydro, gas, property taxes, and mortgage. And I'm the one who has put out $14000+ for the equipment, dumbbells, bars in our home gym that she uses!!

No kept man :(. I'm still being paid by my company (although its roughly $455-$470 less take home than my "regular" pay) so I'm still paying my half of the hydro, gas, property taxes, and mortgage. And I'm the one who has put out $14000+ for the equipment, dumbbells, bars in our home gym that she uses!!

Well as long as she lets you use her gym once in a while I guess it’s ok. 😊

I've been lucky to work from home, and I most likely will still be until the end of the year. It's been challenging juggling fulltime work, 2 Elementary aged girls, and running the house without my hubby, but doing OK. Really looking forward to him coming home!!

I really must say I love our new normal. More quality time with family, buying less, and saving money where we normally wouldn't. Very fortunate to be home with our little ones ❤

We packed up and headed to the lake house second week of March so that helped. We actually just getting past a rough couple years so i figured this would be the final nail but to my surprise i dont think we have fought at all since this started. Her business still going, just not full scale plus she took a second remote job so she is busy and paying the bills. I was going to take a job locally last week but decided to take the summer off and enjoy the lake. To take this job would mean permanently relocating but she worked too hard to build her business which is doing very well so i wont ask her to move.
Now just found a major structural issue with this house that the sellers hid from us, so that is my job for the next while.
I havent decided what i want to do in the fall. She seems to think we are fine without me working right now so i will wait it out. I just started my own business which took off quick then stopped just as quick so who know if it will comeback.

My wifey-ex wifey is a nurse and works in Long Term Care and Community Care. She has tested negative on her two COVID tests thus far. She is only allowed to work in one Facility, which has cut her income considerably, but she can continue with her specialty of spinal cord injuries. She is burned out, but she is lucky she has access to a sort of good therapist.