Carrier oil sterility

Fenix03

I'm gathering supplies and info to perform a first brew here and had a question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to online.

I'd like to know your opinions as I know I won't get steered wrong here. And thank you in advance for the help.

So basically I'm planning on using gso for carrier, and I'm wondering if its necessary to buy 'sterile filtered' gso for 100 bucks, or can I just buy organic cold-pressed gso from the store and somehow sterilize and filter it at home?

Opinions?

Honestly bro , I'd spend the 100 for the assurance its sterile remember your injecting this into your body, look at it this way look at the price for 2 vials from a lab , and look at the cost for homebrew and you get more product you still save 3 times over . Just my 2 cents .

The whole point of home brewing is to do it yourself. Why on earth would you spend 100 dollars on gso?

Apparently I need to get into the sterilizing gso industry if people are going to pay 100 dollars for something you can buy for 7 bucks.

OP...... do you know what you’re getting into here? You know you have to filter the prep right? As well as add some anti colonizing agent to it?

Sterile vials? Ok I get that. But sterile oil? Not at all.

@Capemuscle - while I appreciate you advising on the OP taking a safe approach, (I expect that is what you were trying to do) maybe don’t advise on threads where you have no experience. You gave bad advice.

I am GETTING to know what I'm getting into yes. Learning and studying.

Yes I'm aware I'll need to filter as well as use ba/bb.

I've just read mixed opinions on whether or not filtering the presterilized v.s. basic grocery store carrier oil is mandatory or not.

So gso from the supermarket is OK as long as its filtered properly?

I dont see it as bad advice I see it as taking the safe approach that's all , safety is key in what we put into our bodies isn't it ?

I am GETTING to know what I'm getting into yes. Learning and studying.

Yes I'm aware I'll need to filter as well as use ba/bb.

I've just read mixed opinions on whether or not filtering the presterilized v.s. basic grocery store carrier oil is mandatory or not.

So gso from the supermarket is OK as long as its filtered properly?

Yes.

Think about it this way.

Once you expose the oil and add the powder the prep is no longer sterile....you have to filter it. So why purchase presterilized oil?

That makes sense. OK then thanks you just saved me a hundred bucks.

Another question. Canadian med supplies has a few different brands/sizes of syringe filters, is there a consensus on which is best?

.2/.45? Thanks.

.2 is what you want. .45 isn’t small enough to remove all the potential pathogens (actually I think viruses - probably small enough for mist if not all bacteria).

Now .2 is a bitch to use if you’re hand filtering but if you want a truly sterile prep, .2 is what you need to use.

I just feel it's an extra precaution and I get what you are saying about adding the raws so if the oil is not sterile and you expose it doesn't it double the risk factor ? As to where I can take one factor out ? I dont want to argue we are all brothers here we both have points we can agree to disagree.

I just feel it's an extra precaution and I get what you are saying about adding the raws so if the oil is not sterile and you expose it doesn't it double the risk factor ? As to where I can take one factor out ? I dont want to argue we are all brothers here we both have points we can agree to disagree.

No sterile is sterile.

Yes infection (bacteria mostly) is,in fact, a numbers game.....but purchasing pre sterilized oil is a scam. If you use good aseptic technique, add your preservative and filter properly , the prep will be clean. Some will say to heat post filter if you want. Remember to vent your vials though.

Heat wise.... remember wet heat is always more effective than dry if you are sterilizing your own glassware and vials etc.

The pre sterilized oil may not clog up your filter as much.... I’m not sure. But you can buy a hell of a lot of filters for 100 bucks.

i know its an old thread but i also have another warning. some veg oils have preservatives in them that have caused some dudes complication. check the label and make sure its 100%. i go organic. i preferred safflower over grape seed. i preferred 40% eo for that slin pinning easiness. havent made my own since operation raw deal and the explosion of great domestic labs but next time im going to use mct, maybe mct/eo. BUN is 100% about sterility. clean you kitchen

I thought you were waiting to get started on your first cycle? Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, did you not have the question regarding reusing & sharpening pins?

Honestly man I would hold off on the home brew thing till you have a few cycles under your belt. There are plenty of great labs out there and whilst homebrew I have no doubt is significantly cheaper it's just one more thingthat you have to be worried about along with your first cycle. Maybe get the whole pinning yourself with sharp pointy things down to a tee before playing chemist.

Reactions: PdH
Another question. Canadian med supplies has a few different brands/sizes of syringe filters, is there a consensus on which is best?.2/.45? Thanks.

Unless you're making one vial don't use syringe filters simply because they are basically good for about one vial and are nothing but a pain the ass. If you are going to home brew spend the money for media bottles/bottletop filters/vacuum source. Seriously trying to produce an amount of homebrew that makes it worthwhile with syringe filters will be a nightmare.

Unless you're making one vial don't use syringe filters simply because they are basically good for about one vial and are nothing but a pain the ass. If you are going to home brew spend the money for media bottles/bottletop filters/vacuum source. Seriously trying to produce an amount of homebrew that makes it worthwhile with syringe filters will be a nightmare.

Trying to syringe filter with a 0.2 for a significant volume? Omg!!! That would take FOREVER! Lol