CAN WE AFFORD TO BUY CANADIAN PRODUCTS?

Harley00

The Rebel
Shop local ,shop Canadian,buy Canadian support small businesses.....sure but how do we do that when you jack your prices up so high we cant afford to buy local..
Do you support small businesses and Canadian businesses or when you see the (same product) from America or china for 10 to 20 dollors less do you buy it for less or pay more?
Honestly i pay less unless i really like the owner and i get treated well there ill pay the extra for the service but other wise i would rather pay less at the current situations,am i wrong? Should i feel guilt.🇨🇦 were all gulity of buying non Canadian, if everyone in Canada made a stand and bought canadian would things change would store owners drop there price? If one change causes a ripple effect what would 100,000 changes make.

Last edited:
Really hard to find made in canada but i am so sick of anything from a can opener to a chain saw and as soon as you use it you can see how much of a piece of fucking shit it is you regret it.
i would pay more for quality. Feel like just threw money away when buying cheap china junk.
The price increase is due to More than just wages. If we removed some regulations and taxes on business they could keep the cost down and sell at a fair price. Cant be cheap to run shipping containers non stop from China. Not to mention the fuel burned. What about climate change? Thought that came first? We need Greta.

Really hard to find made in canada but i am so sick of anything from a can opener to a chain saw and as soon as you use it you can see how much of a piece of fucking shit it is you regret it.
i would pay more for quality. Feel like just threw money away when buying cheap china junk.
The price increase is due to More than just wages. If we removed some regulations and taxes on business they could keep the cost down and sell at a fair price. Cant be cheap to run shipping containers non stop from China. Not to mention the fuel burned. What about climate change? Thought that came first? We need Greta.
Yes we absolutely need to shut china down , but what about american products and other countries what if we stopped buying form them could Canada become more wealthy again being more independent rather then relying on other countries

Yes we absolutely need to shut china down , but what about american products and other countries what if we stopped buying form them could Canada become more wealthy again being more independent rather then relying on other countries

Problem is we cant stop buying foreign until
There is a domestic option in place, but the reasons we have nothing is because the powers that be, also foreign, dont want it so it's not allowed.
Look how hard they are fighting Trump for trying to bring industry back. Our leadership is on the other team. I just cant see much of a future for Canadian products.

Problem is we cant stop buying foreign until
There is a domestic option in place, but the reasons we have nothing is because the powers that be, also foreign, dont want it so it's not allowed.
Look how hard they are fighting Trump for trying to bring industry back. Our leadership is on the other team. I just cant see much of a future for Canadian products.
I agree , and also there isnt much pure Canadian to buy but even shopping local at least vs online shopping small businesses dont have a chance to survive, especially since there raising there prices its just easier and cheaper to shop online

it comes down to economies of scale. Canada is a small market. Someone produces for this market they are buying their raw materials in smaller batches and making a smaller batch to sell with higher wages then what is paid out in China.

Conversely someone say in China is making products for a gigantic international market and as such buys in large quantities and produces a large quantity ie at a lower price given also the cheaper wages

no one can compete unless the trade doors are shut. Trade is a multifaceted animal and we allow trade so that our products that we do produce can be sold over there.

so rather then seek to buy Canadian, buy from someone that is a Canadian. So any profits from your purchase stay in Canada.

for instance when I buy an appliance I go the local guy in my area and actually pay the same as I would direct from some company not owned by a Canadian and I also get local service. And the Canadians he employees have jobs and pay taxes in Canada.

Try using amazon for cheap household items, they have a review section and good return policy
Usually the few thousand 5 star reviews is a telltale sign it’s not cheap junk, saves a lot of time and money

I saw a post on Facebook I thought was cute. It said share this post if you are going to boycott products made in china.

Had to laugh, considering the person posting it probably using a phone or computer made in china.

Try using amazon for cheap household items, they have a review section and good return policy
Usually the few thousand 5 star reviews is a telltale sign it’s not cheap junk, saves a lot of time and money

Most of my shopping is amazon for that reason. That and we have very few store options where i live.
I just spent thousands on tools before this covid crap and always look for origin. If its china i try my best to find something else.

My problem is that I am very familiar with sourcing and manufacturing. I will go out of my way to buy local as much as I can but for some things I just can't choke it down.

Clothing is the main one for me. Buy a locally made T-shirt (or any other item) and it can be up to 10x vs the cost of made overseas, and the overseas product will be on par, if not better.

Case in point. As an exercise we took a product we were manufacturing at the time to a Chinese manufacturer and asked them to knock it off. They gave us the copy, and it was better than our original product in nearly every way, at fraction of the cost, shipped. We did not go that route, but it was very eye opening. We did that run in Mexico for what it's worth.

Good luck justifying buying clothing locally when you have options like H&M, Winners, etc. Simon's has a ton of stuff that actually fits me. Pants for $30 bucks (made in Bangladesh, but same idea)

USA, Japan, EU, Mexico, etc, are all more reliable options as far as anything with an engine or where mechanical components are concerned. Tools as well. No question that I'll pay more for this.

And I agree with "buy from a Canadian." If you can't get a local product at least support a local business.

YOu need to be careful of their new scams... Lots of "made in USA" or "Made in Canada" products are actually not.. The parts are made in china and then assembled in Can or Usa so they can say "made in Can/USA"... I think awhile ago the powers that be made them changed this label to "assembled in Canada/USA", but I'm not sure if that is law now or not.

It's only been in the last couple years I've been able to purposefully purchase made in Can stuff. Before I had to go with the best economical decision for the most part. I am probably mid middle class. I'd be lower middle class but we saved and invested a lot.. Point being, I think the vast majority of Canadians can't afford to buy made in Canada stuff for the most part.

On another note, I understand so many ppl want to push buy local... I get that, but I also think they are holding on to a system that is dying and they need to evolve or they will die with it. On line shopping is HUGE and it is the future. The writting is written on the walls in giganitc neon letters. I think our local stores need to evolve... They need to create a website that allows buying from home and recieving it in the mail even if the store is 10 mins away.

And lastly, for me, it will still come down to making the best economical decision for each individual purchases be that foriegn or domestic...

I will always think purchases through because if I can find a better or equal quality product for cheap, but not made in Can, I will probably buy it because I don't like giving my money away.

On another note, I understand so many ppl want to push buy local... I get that, but I also think they are holding on to a system that is dying and they need to evolve or they will die with it. On line shopping is HUGE and it is the future. The writting is written on the walls in giganitc neon letters. I think our local stores need to evolve... They need to create a website that allows buying from home and recieving it in the mail even if the store is 10 mins away.

There is no way a local store can compete with Amazon with delivery and price. Its sad to see them go and our economy will go with them.

Since I'm a local business, I try to buy local, so at least the people working at the stores will make a wage, even if the company is international and most of the profit leaves.

This is my reasoning.
Who will be able to buy off of me if no one has a job?

Like in the past Amazon is doing to communities what WalMart did. Killing above min wage jobs at mom and pop locations all because people want to save a couple bucks. Or do not feel like leaving their house.

Thing is if we all continue on down this path, then one day, unless you are government employed, you may find your job gone. I know you may think its safe, but its not. That is what you need to think about, and do as Taureau does and at least buy from a local guy.

As far a punishing China, other countries will now step up and try to steal business away from them.

I always figured that Africa would be the next one, super cheap labour, no labour laws, almost no taxes, they just need to get their infrastructure in place first for industry to start. I thought by now the Chinese people would have been fighting for better labour laws, pay and such. So eventually like USA or CANADA the wages, regulations, taxes and such would move production elsewhere.

Well, once the NWO agenda 21 and agenda 2030 are in full force, it wont matter much. We will be the cheap labor working in districts like Hunger games. At least then it will be an equal Playing field. Everyone poor.

There is no way a local store can compete with Amazon with delivery and price. Its sad to see them go and our economy will go with them.

I don't know... I think there's a lot of variables at play.

For example last year I need to buy a tree trimmer. It's a huge long extendable pole with a hand saw on the end. I found a Fiskars one (great brand) on amazon. There was 3 possible businesses in my town that would carry a similar tree trimmer. Of those 3, only one had a website. So I checked that the amazon price was slightly higher than amazon. So I went to town and asked if they had one in stock, they did so I bought it. I'm gussing the slightly higher amazon price was to account for shipping. Point being, since the local shop had a website with prices, I was able to easily buy one from them. The other 2 stores which might have carried the trimmer has no websites. I was not going to spend a few hours driving around town, going into stores to see if they had something. And to be honest, the customer service can be awful. So I know the one store, the employees woudl have no idea what I would be describing (the trimmer) and then they would have no idea if they had it in stock. Then after waiting for them to check and not find it, I'd have to wait and see how long it would be to get in stock and how much $ money it would be. Having a stores information, stock and price on line really helps compete with pure on line retailers.

Another example. Under armour. I really like UA because they go to 4xl. It's super easy to shop on line for under armour, but the shipping times tend to be long. We have a shop in town that sells under armour, but they never stock 3xl and 4xl. And they have no website. So when I go there, I can find sweaters I like, but then I have to sit and wait to see if that particular model comes in my size. They check this by going to the same site I would use to order the same sweater from home. If they had their own website which showed which sweaters they have in 3xl and 4xl, I would just order them through the local store. Local store has similar prices to the UA offical website. Local store also has better sales then the UA offical website.

Yet another... we have 2 grocery stores in town. Both corporate big name stores. One does on line shopping, the other does not. Can you guess which store we use more? We order our groceries on line, drive to the store and someone brings our order out. We don't do this all the time, but its a good service. And at the same time, its not just food. It's household items.. They sell clothes, small appliances, kids toys, stationary stuff, exercise equiepmment etc.. So we spend our money there for that stuff instesd of going to amazon for something like new pj's for our kids.

There's more factors to competing with amazon that makes not straight forward. Some businesses just flat out refuse to try to compete.

What pisses me off as well is a buisness will have a website, but no prices on line lol... So you want me to drive to your store to compare your price to amazon's price or another local store whose prices are on line? No thanks. my time is valuable, so if I can save some time, I will... And I'm a man.. I hate shopping...

Some businesses are stuck to the idea that you must walk in their doors to shop at their store, and that notion is killing them...

Reactions: Cog
Well, once the NWO agenda 21 and agenda 2030 are in full force, it wont matter much. We will be the cheap labor working in districts like Hunger games. At least then it will be an equal Playing field. Everyone poor.
Your right though and very right you are

I don't know... I think there's a lot of variables at play.

For example last year I need to buy a tree trimmer. It's a huge long extendable pole with a hand saw on the end. I found a Fiskars one (great brand) on amazon. There was 3 possible businesses in my town that would carry a similar tree trimmer. Of those 3, only one had a website. So I checked that the amazon price was slightly higher than amazon. So I went to town and asked if they had one in stock, they did so I bought it. I'm gussing the slightly higher amazon price was to account for shipping. Point being, since the local shop had a website with prices, I was able to easily buy one from them. The other 2 stores which might have carried the trimmer has no websites. I was not going to spend a few hours driving around town, going into stores to see if they had something. And to be honest, the customer service can be awful. So I know the one store, the employees woudl have no idea what I would be describing (the trimmer) and then they would have no idea if they had it in stock. Then after waiting for them to check and not find it, I'd have to wait and see how long it would be to get in stock and how much $ money it would be. Having a stores information, stock and price on line really helps compete with pure on line retailers.

Another example. Under armour. I really like UA because they go to 4xl. It's super easy to shop on line for under armour, but the shipping times tend to be long. We have a shop in town that sells under armour, but they never stock 3xl and 4xl. And they have no website. So when I go there, I can find sweaters I like, but then I have to sit and wait to see if that particular model comes in my size. They check this by going to the same site I would use to order the same sweater from home. If they had their own website which showed which sweaters they have in 3xl and 4xl, I would just order them through the local store. Local store has similar prices to the UA offical website. Local store also has better sales then the UA offical website.

Yet another... we have 2 grocery stores in town. Both corporate big name stores. One does on line shopping, the other does not. Can you guess which store we use more? We order our groceries on line, drive to the store and someone brings our order out. We don't do this all the time, but its a good service. And at the same time, its not just food. It's household items.. They sell clothes, small appliances, kids toys, stationary stuff, exercise equiepmment etc.. So we spend our money there for that stuff instesd of going to amazon for something like new pj's for our kids.

There's more factors to competing with amazon that makes not straight forward. Some businesses just flat out refuse to try to compete.

What pisses me off as well is a buisness will have a website, but no prices on line lol... So you want me to drive to your store to compare your price to amazon's price or another local store whose prices are on line? No thanks. my time is valuable, so if I can save some time, I will... And I'm a man.. I hate shopping...

Some businesses are stuck to the idea that you must walk in their doors to shop at their store, and that notion is killing them...
Well I am that store. I want you to walk in to check my store out, because I cannot replicate what my store is about online. Plus the extra resources to answer emails, keep the web page updated and so on, is not a cost I want to occur. Which may be why some of the other stores do not do so. One day I may have to change, but if all goes well in 5-6 years wholesale will be the main pri=ofit of my business and my retail will be a bonus. Retail is a painfully tough business.
But my staff is knowledgeable. If a company's staff cannot help you resolve your issues, being online will not help them.

Yes, some stores should follow suit, but there is a huge cost involved in going online.

Since I'm a local business, I try to buy local, so at least the people working at the stores will make a wage, even if the company is international and most of the profit leaves.

This is my reasoning.
Who will be able to buy off of me if no one has a job?

Like in the past Amazon is doing to communities what WalMart did. Killing above min wage jobs at mom and pop locations all because people want to save a couple bucks. Or do not feel like leaving their house.

Thing is if we all continue on down this path, then one day, unless you are government employed, you may find your job gone. I know you may think its safe, but its not. That is what you need to think about, and do as Taureau does and at least buy from a local guy.

As far a punishing China, other countries will now step up and try to steal business away from them.

I always figured that Africa would be the next one, super cheap labour, no labour laws, almost no taxes, they just need to get their infrastructure in place first for industry to start. I thought by now the Chinese people would have been fighting for better labour laws, pay and such. So eventually like USA or CANADA the wages, regulations, taxes and such would move production elsewhere.

I do spend a lot of money locally.. Don't get me wrong. I dont; know what percent I spend in a local store vs amazon/on line.. But I'm not the typical consumer.. I live in butt fuck no where.. We have VERY limited local shopping.. So everyone here naturally gets filtered to on line for lots of stuff.

Our local business owners are notorious for jacking up prices because of our location as well. Before on line shopping, our town's people were forced to purchase WAY over priced stuff because we had no choice. I fish a LOT, the same lure in Edmonton locally owned small store would be 10$, in my town it would be 25$... Store owners knew they could charge the extra 15$ because if your going fishing, your not going to drive 5 hours to edmonton for a couple lures.. So they got you bent over.... There was a HUGE fight in my town for many years about dirty store owners... Then on line shopping came and some of those stores were begging for customers to keep using them. Most locals just laughed and said "karma"... Some stores adpated and are doing just fine though.

I agree keeping money within our community or at least country should be a priority, but you also have a hard sell telling people "listen, your spending 115$ on amazon, but you can buy the same thing locally for 140$.."... Good luck telling people to toss 25$ just because.. Again, consider how many Canaidans live pay check to pay check.

Well I am that store. I want you to walk in to check my store out, because I cannot replicate what my store is about online. Plus the extra resources to answer emails, keep the web page updated and so on, is not a cost I want to occur. Which may be why some of the other stores do not do so. One day I may have to change, but if all goes well in 5-6 years wholesale will be the main pri=ofit of my business and my retail will be a bonus. Retail is a painfully tough business.
But my staff is knowledgeable. If a company's staff cannot help you resolve your issues, being online will not help them.

Yes, some stores should follow suit, but there is a huge cost involved in going online.

Your store is different than a store that sells iteams like toys, pillows etc.. What you sell varies so much that you can't buy it based off a internet picture.