box squats

Evil Spock

Trusted Member
i was introduced to box squats through westside.
yay or nay?
personally hate them. didnt improve my lifts and i think its dangerous. i think the point is to strengthen the bottom of the lift by training without the advantage of the muscles being under full tension. makes theoretical sense but it seemed like i was unloading the weight on my spine even though i was intentially trying not to. i even switched to putting the bar on the pins low enough to start the lift in the bottom of the squat. still didnt feel right with heavy weight. the upperbody didnt seem to be able to generate the support/tension i built with the bar going down into a squat.
i see people who are getting more advanced with their lifting adding such training. great that real lifting is getting more popular but i cringe seeing most people completely unloading the weight onto their spin and/ or butt winking do this exercise.

Reactions: Cog
Unless you are a really wide squatter I would only train them once in a while for something different

Reactions: PGM
Never liked them, as soon as I go to push back up I always end up rounding the back. The only success I ever had was in my early 20’s trying a wide squat like chuck vogelphol

Never liked them, as soon as I go to push back up I always end up rounding the back. The only success I ever had was in my early 20’s trying a wide squat like chuck vogelphol
Thats the only way I found them to work. Wide as fuck with toes pointed out and explode off the box to avoid the rounded back. Ive never really done them to what i consider heavy.. probably blow my back out

My old hardcore gym would not allow a box squat.I can do them safely but have never been proficient.

Wow... I didn't think I'd see this response...

I love box squats.. I was started on them by IronAddict. It really helped me correct my squat form so that after doing box squats for awhile I was able to do a reg squat with great form.

I think everyone should learn to squat by doing box squats first.

I should add, box squats are not good for low rep/high weight imo... I keep my reps between 6-10, usually around 8. And no "thumping" onto the bench. Nice and slow descent to the box.. Helped me develope my leg strenght by making me focus on the negative portion of the lift as well.

It's also a good lift to do (in the squat cage) if you have no spotter and want to go to failure. If you can set the safety bars to be just below where the bar rests when you are sitting on the box, its easy to dump the bar back if you can't lift it.

Never got the hang of the launch with your hams without leaning forward.

its funny how herdlike people are. i dont know what popularized it but box squats are now being done by the regular fitness crowd and people training for specific sports. i remember when bbers and plers only did squats.

its funny how herdlike people are. i dont know what popularized it but box squats are now being done by the regular fitness crowd and people training for specific sports. i remember when bbers and plers only did squats.
About as dangerous for the fitness crowd as high rep cleans and snatches.

Wow... I didn't think I'd see this response...

I love box squats.. I was started on them by IronAddict. It really helped me correct my squat form so that after doing box squats for awhile I was able to do a reg squat with great form.

I think everyone should learn to squat by doing box squats first.

I should add, box squats are not good for low rep/high weight imo... I keep my reps between 6-10, usually around 8. And no "thumping" onto the bench. Nice and slow descent to the box.. Helped me develope my leg strenght by making me focus on the negative portion of the lift as well.

It's also a good lift to do (in the squat cage) if you have no spotter and want to go to failure. If you can set the safety bars to be just below where the bar rests when you are sitting on the box, its easy to dump the bar back if you can't lift it.

I also used them to improve my form. I was squatting too low and putting too much stress on my knees. Box squats helped me fix that. Never used them as an integral part of any routine though

Reactions: PGM
Athleanx just did a video on Box squat variant.

Good video for newbies, I see too many guys lifting way too heavy on Box squats these days.

Side note... just PRd on Sqauts today.. my legs are noodles.. I love it

Well,who can comment on form?Is it that you need a super wide stance?You sit on the box,weight on your shoulders.Your feet will be somewhat in front of you.

Pause on the box,no bounce,not sure he actually settles his weight on to the box.

Not a safety squat bar but it has handles,so the weight of your arms is out front in that setup.

How I do them..

-wider then normal squat.
-slow decent to the box sticking my ass out as I go down. I don't keep my back perectly vertical.
-once I touch the box, I sit down on it completely and then LIFT both feet off the ground a tiny bit.
-plant my feet and stand up. I do rock forward a bit. It would be impossible to stand up without doing so because your feet are further forward then my hips.