B12 injections for women

animal-inside

Trusted Member
Wife just got blood work back. Low in B12. Doctor gave her a prescription. I haven't read it yet, but odds are its b12 pills.

What is the advantage of injection vs pills?

I know if ppl becme low in b12 its often due to not having enough of the chemical in the stomach rwquired to absorb it. So to me, giving b12 pills makes no sense unless there is more blood work in a couple weeks to see how much is being absorbed.

I also believe injections don't need to be frequent. Is once a month a good schedule or ??

Lastly, whats the standard injection dosage ?

Thanks !

Thank you sir!

Now to try to talk her into doing one shot a month.. She's one of those ppl who gets her mind set based non facts..

Wife just got blood work back. Low in B12. Doctor gave her a prescription. I haven't read it yet, but odds are its b12 pills.

What is the advantage of injection vs pills?

I know if ppl becme low in b12 its often due to not having enough of the chemical in the stomach rwquired to absorb it. So to me, giving b12 pills makes no sense unless there is more blood work in a couple weeks to see how much is being absorbed.

I also believe injections don't need to be frequent. Is once a month a good schedule or ??

Lastly, whats the standard injection dosage ?

Thanks !

Id say dietary deficiency is the most common reason, then absorption issues. You are correct in that oral dosing is not typically used in true cases of pernicious anemia, but this is uncommon. I'd have to know more about your wife (past medical history) + diet + how extensive her deficiency is to give an opinion in that regard.

Typical IM doses are as Bagua described:
1000mcg qWeekly x 4 weeks, then monthly there after

Typical oral doses are 1000-2000mcg daily.

My IM dose was exactly that. I was on B12 injections for almost two? years. My doc just stopped them to see if my body will absorb on it's own now.
If she's been taking a B12 supplement and is low, she should try the injections.
And seriously - it's a tiny prick to the gut, squoosh it around a bit so it doesn't lump or bruise, and you're done. So easy.

My IM dose was exactly that. I was on B12 injections for almost two? years. My doc just stopped them to see if my body will absorb on it's own now.
If she's been taking a B12 supplement and is low, she should try the injections.
And seriously - it's a tiny prick to the gut, squoosh it around a bit so it doesn't lump or bruise, and you're done. So easy.

Squoosh? You made that word up didn't you? I'm going to start using it.

wife isn't going to do an injection. She is trying the 500mcg a day pills her doctor prescribed.

He also prescribed Iron pills. Not sure which one is doign it, but she feels very neaustious when she takes them.

wife isn't going to do an injection. She is trying the 500mcg a day pills her doctor prescribed.

He also prescribed Iron pills. Not sure which one is doign it, but she feels very neaustious when she takes them.

Probably the iron. This is the list of possible sides from Ferrous sulphate/Slow FE. Courtesy of Medscape.
Adverse Effects

Frequency Not Defined

Constipation

Contact irritation

Diarrhea

Dark stools

GI hemorrhage (rare)

GI irritation

GI obstruction (wax matrix products; rare)

GI perforation (rare)

Nausea

Stomach pain

Superficial tooth discoloration (oral solutions)

Urine discoloration

Vomiting

Probably the iron. This is the list of possible sides from Ferrous sulphate/Slow FE. Courtesy of Medscape.
Adverse Effects

Frequency Not Defined

Constipation

Contact irritation

Diarrhea

Dark stools

GI hemorrhage (rare)

GI irritation

GI obstruction (wax matrix products; rare)

GI perforation (rare)

Nausea

Stomach pain

Superficial tooth discoloration (oral solutions)

Urine discoloration

Vomiting

Yup looks like the culprit.

I'm going to look into stuff she can eat to get extra iron instead..