Are you ever at 100%

I have to modify workouts depending on the time of year.No squats between May 15 and Oct 1st,basically.I just recently did two high rep workouts with just the bar.Knees felt like hell.With a band.Just ease everything back in over a dozen workouts.Or so.

It's kind of a double punch with injuries, shout out to you older guys working with injuries and staying positive. My body isn't 100% then my mind isn't 100% then I'm giving it like 50% in the gym and not happy about it. This year has been the biggest struggle for me yet in regards to lifting. That whole saying "15% of it is mental" I think should be higher.

The Japanese Martial Arts use the term, "Tight mind, tight body."

At 21 I tore my right pec. 10 years later I’m no where near where I was with bench. Doesn’t cause me any pain but the explosive strength just doesn’t work like it once did. I use to be able to really throw, not so much anymore.

I still was able to continue developing my chest and turned more from powerlifting to bodybuilding. When people ask “how much do you bench” I always reply with “how much do you think”. I always reply with “I wish” haha.

I’m dealing with a wart on the bottom of my foot now haha sounds innocent but it pulses with pain. Makes calf raises a real treat

There are days where the pain is so minimal where I feel excellent and almost 100%. That doesn't mean I slip[ back into old training routines or exercises I know that fuck me up. If anything, dealing with injuries makes one train smarter.

I don't do deadlifts anymore unless it's with the trap bar. I've stopped doing squats unless it's the machine, plate loaded hammer strength ones. I've stopped flat benching.

I do go through a strength phase every fall/winter which I begin in December and run through February. But even with that I am careful with exercise selection and prefer plate loaded machines over free weights.

I'm more about body sculpting these days instead of raw power. After all, it's bodybuilding not power lifting.

There are days where the pain is so minimal where I feel excellent and almost 100%. That doesn't mean I slip[ back into old training routines or exercises I know that fuck me up. If anything, dealing with injuries makes one train smarter.

I don't do deadlifts anymore unless it's with the trap bar. I've stopped doing squats unless it's the machine, plate loaded hammer strength ones. I've stopped flat benching.

I do go through a strength phase every fall/winter which I begin in December and run through February. But even with that I am careful with exercise selection and prefer plate loaded machines over free weights.

I'm more about body sculpting these days instead of raw power. After all, it's bodybuilding not power lifting.

I feel the same.
Only difference is... I can't give up deadlifts, I love them so much.

Even with my herniated disks, I still make sure I go through the motions.
I'm not setting ans new PRs, but I'm still lifting nice a d heavy. It actually feels good on the back

No more deadlifts for me. My body is just not built for them. But, I love doing rack pulls, i feel much more comfortable

I sat and thought about this one most of the day here’s my conclusion.

If you’re a serious lifter and train hard I don’t believe after a few years you’re ever truly at 100%. I mean the first few years ya you’re alright because you haven’t abused your body long enough for it to fight back.

I think it’s just the nature of our sport/hobby. Every day we are breaking down our bodies so it rebuilds itself bigger and stronger. At some point it’s going to start to fight back against the abuse. I don’t know a single lifter that truly trains hard that doesn’t have something nagging them at one point or another.

Dave Tate in one of his pod casts said something along the lines of power lifting longevity is only up to how long your body will withstand the wear and tear. Some of us lift heavy and work manual labour and really abuse the hell out of ourselves.

That being said if you truly love to do this, you’ll find a way to work around your bodies rebellion.

I sat and thought about this one most of the day here’s my conclusion.

If you’re a serious lifter and train hard I don’t believe after a few years you’re ever truly at 100%. I mean the first few years ya you’re alright because you haven’t abused your body long enough for it to fight back.

I think it’s just the nature of our sport/hobby. Every day we are breaking down our bodies so it rebuilds itself bigger and stronger. At some point it’s going to start to fight back against the abuse. I don’t know a single lifter that truly trains hard that doesn’t have something nagging them at one point or another.

Dave Tate in one of his pod casts said something along the lines of power lifting longevity is only up to how long your body will withstand the wear and tear. Some of us lift heavy and work manual labour and really abuse the hell out of ourselves.

That being said if you truly love to do this, you’ll find a way to work around your bodies rebellion.

Man, that was poetic.

Couldnt agree more.
No matter how bad my back or knees hurt, I refuse to stop lifting.
Some guys watch Netflix, I lift.

I haven’t felt 100% since my late 20s. Here I am in my late 30s and things are starting to fall off lol

I haven’t been in the gym for almost 3 years because of a back injury that will require surgery at some point. Last year I was barely able to walk. Worst was when I got stuck in the snow cleaning off my greenhouse because my back locked up and my legs stopped moving properly. I just sat in the snow for about an hour (good FXR snowsuit) then crawled my way about 500 feet back to the house in some of the worst pain and near paralysis I have ever experienced.

Fast forward after almost a year of core exercises/yoga on the floor. Pain everyday but forcing myself to keep moving. I’m back in the gym but very modified. I only train on machines right now, leg day is only body weight squats and a few light leg extensions and curls.

I’d love to get back to my old size and back to the lifts I was doing years ago, but you have to keep living.

I have tried pushing it with free weights and weighted squats and paid for it. I believe you have to push yourself, but your definition of ‘push yourself’ has to be dynamic and change with the situation.

Like the Ontario lottery slogan says. “Know your limit, play within it”.

I have never, ever been at 100%. Right from day one, must have had a rough birth cause I couldn't even walk or talk for like a year.

PS - Sorry, all the serious answers were taken and I couldn't help myself.

I'll show myself out.