Are you ever at 100%

Cheapshot

Trusted Member
Ive had so many injuries lately it doesn't seem like I will ever be at 100% again. I guess its part of getting old. As soon as one body part feels better, something else gives out. Last time I was able to go full bore in the gym wad over 2 years ago. Oh well, if we didnt train through injury, we would probably never train. I just wanna lift heavy again..lol

I'm 100 % for my age group if I consider what my cohort is like in the way of conditioning. I train in a way that is beneficial for me at 62 and don't bother trying to do some of the stuff I did a mere 10 years ago. That is the perspective I am working on, anyway.

I felt pretty close to 100% in today's workout., but like Bagua said, for my age group. Didnt want to leave the gym. Just hungry for the next set. Was great. I get small injuries every so often, especially when lifting towards max weights. I've learned to recognize the signs I get (like a pinpoint burning pain signalling a strain) and move on. I dont hit them that hard as often and have been doing more rest pause and drop sets, running the rack, after a good couple working sets. Mid 40s.

No, not even close but I am making slow progress. Like Bagua - my goals are nothing compared to what I wanted or could do in my 30’s. For my age, I’m still active and stronger than most people my age, have good flexibility, and my health is improving in general.
I may never be like I was in my 30’s - so be it, I’m older and smarter and listen to my body when it say stop.

Fuck I’d love to know what it felt like to have a healthy set of pins!

It’s more than frustrating cheapshot. Definitely been at my breaking point many many times.

Very hard to deal with a body that doesn’t want to cooperate. One step forward and two steps back..... and all that as they say.

Still. I think the mark of a man is more about how he picks himself up off the pavement and gets back to work after he’s been dealt a blow.

No he may never return to what he once was or could do. But he’s there... every day... or every other day putting in work.... finding out little work arounds or doing what he can to continue his journey.

Goals and direction will change. More than you think even. Health and longevity somehow find a way to take over what you can move.

Sometimes it’s not about how big or how much.... sometimes it’s just about being in the arena and putting in what you can.

Not excuses and cop outs. We know when we fall short and don’t put in the work or give our best considering what cards we were dealt.

I suppose the point is. Don’t get down. It’s a fucking bitch.... one I know too well. It’s depressing and there are many days where you will say.... why the fuck should I bother!?!?!?

But do bother. Do press forward. But do it smartly and if you are working hard take pride in that.

If Ronnie can be at that shithole gym at 4am in blazing Texas heat every goddamn day with a smile on his face so fucking damaged he can’t walk. I know I have no goddamn excuses.

Now he is a very special person. So maybe we can’t stack up to that expectation.... but it certainly makes me think about things.

Now I’m not suggesting that you do anything silly. We can argue for or against mr. Coleman’s choices along the way and which were good and which were not so good. I simply use him as an example of a person who, no matter how dark things get or how broken he is, he always finds a way to do what he loves and does it with a big ol’ smile on his face.

Don’t give up. Take breaks where they’re needed but work at what you safely can do.

There’s always a way.

In the words of Louie Simmons "That shit is all in your head". At least it's what I tell myself as I suck back 4 tylenol and 4 advil with my preworkout drink
Reminds me of old guy lafleur, after a big hit on the ice they say he use to go to the dressing room and have a beer and smoke then back on the ice for his next shift.

If Ronnie can be at that shithole gym at 4am in blazing Texas heat every goddamn day with a smile on his face so fucking damaged he can’t walk. I know I have no goddamn excuses.

Now he is a very special person. So maybe we can’t stack up to that expectation.... but it certainly makes me think about things.

Now I’m not suggesting that you do anything silly. We can argue for or against mr. Coleman’s choices along the way and which were good and which were not so good. I simply use him as an example of a person who, no matter how dark things get or how broken he is, he always finds a way to do what he loves and does it with a big ol’ smile on his face.

Don’t give up. Take breaks where they’re needed but work at what you safely can do.

There’s always a way.

Yeah Buddy.png

i dont really agree with this hardcore ethos. more of the same of what broke you will just brake you more, eventually. it takes humility, maturity and introspection to evaluate where you are and where you want to go. sometimes you got to start over from the beginning if you want to go further and its a bitter pill to take. i wanted to get back into competition, at least benching. something is wrong with my shoulders that i never had before. fuckit. no lifting big until its fixed. nothing but physio work until its nailed down.

Im in the same boat as you @Cheapshot Age is creeping up on me if i wasnt sore and achy everday i would think i was dead . But i just keep bulling i love what i do and will do it till i cant anymore.

I’ve pretty much decided in the last year...

No more deads
No more squats
No more presses

My back just kept going every couple of months so it became not worth it anymore.

Oh well I wish I could lift like I did in my 20s but that’s what got me this broken down back.

The best part about a new injury is that makes you forget about the old one.

I started minimizing injuries when I really started to learn to sleep more, warm up better and do mobility work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This 100%
I'd love to go hard like I was 15 years younger too but it's just not feasible. I've got to be able to work, have to be able to care for and play with my young children....I've got alot of life to live yet so that means doing things responsibly.
My worst self inflicted injuries from training have been from failing to properly warm up before going too heavy....
No aspirations to be an IFBB pro or even step on stage, I'm doing it for me and my health so I try to be as smart as I can and to train effectively not carelessly.

Would like to, but my body just can't handle it. T1D make it harder than i first thought and it's getting worst as i'm aging.

Every time i start to try keeping it in the 100% zone for more than a month or two, things start to break and set me back to 50-60%% for the next months.

I need to be realist and try to stay in the 85% max now if i want to keep working and living well.

Since it's more an hobby and for health i need to re evaluate thing and be less dumb

I'm working on improving recovery so maybe i'll be able to push again into the 100% zone for couple months per year, but for the next months i'm going to keep things moderate but with good intensity.

It's kind of a double punch with injuries, shout out to you older guys working with injuries and staying positive. My body isn't 100% then my mind isn't 100% then I'm giving it like 50% in the gym and not happy about it. This year has been the biggest struggle for me yet in regards to lifting. That whole saying "15% of it is mental" I think should be higher.

There’s always a way.

I sort of agree. There's somethings out there that you just can't keep pushing through or training "around"..

Coleman has his issues and he's pushing hard through them and 99% of ppl would just tap out and quit.

But there's conditions and ailement that can't allow someone to push through and keep going.

Either way to the OP..

My ages where I felt %100 in the gym

16-23
28-32

Before 16 I just didn't lift.

23-28- nasty chronic shoulder injury
32-now: one injury or condition after another..

I would give a LOT to be given 3-5 more years straight of being %100... It would mean more to me than anything else and I woudl cherish every fucking day I could walk into a gym feeling %100. I wouldn't miss a workout or a meal.. I would push myself every day.. I wouldn't waste a day of those %100 years if I was given some more.

I sort of agree. There's somethings out there that you just can't keep pushing through or training "around"..

Coleman has his issues and he's pushing hard through them and 99% of ppl would just tap out and quit.

But there's conditions and ailement that can't allow someone to push through and keep going.

Either way to the OP..

My ages where I felt %100 in the gym

16-23
28-32

Before 16 I just didn't lift.

23-28- nasty chronic shoulder injury
32-now: one injury or condition after another..

I would give a LOT to be given 3-5 more years straight of being %100... It would mean more to me than anything else and I woudl cherish every fucking day I could walk into a gym feeling %100. I wouldn't miss a workout or a meal.. I would push myself every day.. I wouldn't waste a day of those %100 years if I was given some more.

I think you need to quote the whole post to be fair and really capture what I was actually saying

This part especially......

There’s always a way.

I had to cut out conventional dead’s. my body just can’t handle them anymore. I still do Romanians though.

Might be more productive for you to just take the jm approach and focus more on volume and intensity instead of heavy weights.