Any Gym Owners On CB?

DeezNutz

Trusted Member
Hey All,
I was wondering if anyone here owns a gym. I know current circumstances are not ideal but I'm looking towards the future and could use some guidance. Please post here or pm me if you'd be ok with shooting the shit.

Thanks!

Hey All,
I was wondering if anyone here owns a gym. I know current circumstances are not ideal but I'm looking towards the future and could use some guidance. Please post here or pm me if you'd be ok with shooting the shit.

Thanks!

I don’t own a gym, something I’ve thought about too. Definitely takes an entrepreneurial attitude and dedication to keep it going and keep your membership levels high enough to make profits.

I’ve got friends that own a CrossFit gym and another that owns more of a boutique gym. Current times are painful them, not even breaking even with all the shutdowns and reduced memberships is taking its toll.

That being said, if it’s your passion and you’re willing to work hard to continually adapt to the market or find your niche, power to you!

Anyway, this lacks for advice, but good luck if you do get all your ducks in a row and take a leap into that venture! I’d do the same if I wasn’t so comfortable with the money I’m making and the lifestyle I’m living now.

Thanks for the response @WpnAlpha . I currently own a couple private personal training studios that have been able to operate during this crazy time, and have previously worked in a brand and marketing capacity for a few boutique and CrossFit gyms. I see the operational gaps, trends and challenges and want to explore the idea further. I know it's a slog, but I’m passionate about health, fitness and my community.

Thanks for the response @WpnAlpha . I currently own a couple private personal training studios that have been able to operate during this crazy time, and have previously worked in a brand and marketing capacity for a few boutique and CrossFit gyms. I see the operational gaps, trends and challenges and want to explore the idea further. I know it's a slog, but I’m passionate about health, fitness and my community.

Sounds like you are far further ahead in the game than my friends were when they started their gyms. Depending where you live, I would sure wait out the storm of this pandemic. That being said, when it’s all over the market may even be prime for me gym owners while people are getting back into.

Anyway, sounds like you’ve likely got more experience than I, just shooting the shit at this point.

During the first lockdown my friend had to sell his gym because he was losing 20k a month on lease and wasn't sure how long it would be shut down for. It's a rough business during this time

Last edited:
During the first lockdown my friend had to sell his gym because he was losing 20k a month on lease and wasn't sure how long it would be shut down for. It's a rough business during this time

Yikes, that’s tough. Fortunately my one friend is in rural Nova Scotia, so his lease isn’t too bad. But he’s definitely hurting, fortunately he has other businesses to keep it a float. He’s giving it until the new year before he has to make a serious decision about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't even try to open a gym unless your in a bigger city..

And then open a gym that appeals to the largest mass of ppl..

And there's more side money to be made when you own a gym then membership's--> clothing, work out accessories, supplements, diet plans, work out plans, personal training, smoothie bar like booster juice, tanning beds. etc..

other advice is focus on your women clients.. Get the women in your gym and you'll get the guys in your gym.. Always look at your set up like how will the women respond to this or what would make a woman feel comfortable being in your gym.. An example of this was a gym I used to work out in that always played death metal.. No women ever stayed for longer than a month because the music made them very uncomfortable.. it was blasting loud and full of swear words and death metal beats.. the owners opinion "everyone uses headphones and their own music anyways".. he didn't get the fact that the mood and environment the music created drove every woman out..

also, location, location, location

sorry forgot another one..

Buy ALL your equipement used.. This might turn you off, but there is always TONS of used gym equipment for sale.. you might have to rent a uhaul and drive a decent distance to pick it up, but theres always amazing brand name stuff for sale because of a gym closed down and is liquidating assessts..

Sounds like you are far further ahead in the game than my friends were when they started their gyms. Depending where you live, I would sure wait out the storm of this pandemic. That being said, when it’s all over the market may even be prime for me gym owners while people are getting back into.

Anyway, sounds like you’ve likely got more experience than I, just shooting the shit at this point.
And I value your, as well as the others' input.