Alpha Lipoic Acid

Rocky

Trusted Member
Made this thread hoping to help others from the mistake I made for years

Anyways, there's the regular Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) and then theres the R-ALA, but then theres the R-ALA (Stabalized/Bio-Enhanced)
What you want is the Stabilized/Bio-Enhanced version of R-ALA

I think I've pretty much been throwing my money in the toilet, as it seems the non stabilized version of R-ALA is actually even less bioavailable than the regular ALA.

However the stabilized version of R-ALA is much more bioavailable than the regular ALA. The larger company supplement brands in the US, all use the stabilized version of R-ALA in their products, Life extensions, Doctors best, Jarrows formula, etc. You can check by reading the ingredient list.

This link explains it better
https://geronova.com/consumers/different-forms-of-lipoic-acid/

Last edited:
ya but whats it do for you?
i did an experimental run with r-ala long time ago. didnt do anything, tasted like chemicals

it protects your liver for one, is a powerful antioxidant, helps with nerve pain, a quick google search and you will find some interesting articles. years ago a guy was being put in palliative care for liver failure and the doctor used ALA and saved him. It is old and I would have to find the article.
It is a regular supplement in my rotation of liver supplements.
you shouldn't taste it, it comes in gelitin caps most of the time. It doesn't have the best oral bioavailability but it the body does absorb all forms- some more than others.
GR

ALA also helps control blood sugars.. I believe it helps your body use its own insulin to keep blood sugars normal... I think it actually helps keep blood sugars low as well.

I know Iron Addict had me on ALA when dieting to help keep blood sugars low so I would burn more fat when using a timed carb diet.

ALA I also believe is linked to improved cholestrol levels. I'm not sure if it reduces the bad or enhances the good, but there's lots of studies about it helping cholesterol

ya but whats it do for you?
i did an experimental run with r-ala long time ago. didnt do anything, tasted like chemicals

It has antioxidant benefits plus a 'glucose disposal agent'
It has the ability to recycle antioxidants and helps with blood sugar control
I actually didn't dive too deep on the research but i believe it has many other benefits as well (mitochondrial health)