Aging and training

granpa1959

Never say never!
Trusted Member
I am wondering if any other older fellas..I'm 60 find it easy to slip into over training?

I train fairly smart to be honest. However, I can however, be quite zealous once I get going. I don't feel the onset until I crawl into bed that night and I get restless.

How about others? Is this a condition they have experience with? How do you handle it?

I am trying to burn off some fat currently and have cut rest time between sets. Cardio is a separate day.

Suggestions?

Cheers!

Grandpa

What is your sleep like?
Nutrition - quality? plus you say you are trying to lose fat...are you in a caloric deficit?
What is your training volume? total number of working set (to failure) per session? and total number working sets per week?
Are you on TRT? What is your free test #?

Trt. Keep,it towards the high side and no issues. Mind you I’m not 60, so I don’t know, I got another decade.

Yeah, I am training 3 on 1 off.

3-4 exercises per body part 4 sets of 10-12 reps. Resting as little as I can between sets. I'm out of the gym in 50 minutes. I do 1 exercise to failure every workout. Third day of training is cardio.

Even when I don't use gear my testosterone is stupid high. I don't use TRT. I have no idea on current free testosterone level.

I dropped my calories about 200 a day so far..

Hmm seems to add up a bit when I have been working 6 days a week as well the last 3 weeks.

Good questions. Has me thinking I need alot more down time.

Getting old is a drag.

Sometimes I lose sight of the big picture.

Bagua, Work is actually pretty good despite the recent demand on my time thanks for asking!

I have a very good crew working for me.

I have to pinch myself sometimes. This is a seriously good problem to have at any age!

Forever grateful for input and support fella's

Grandpa

You lucked out with your crew at work. We should all be so lucky. I had it once, and it was great.
I am going to PM you later.

Every decade recovery gets a little harder...i can't image what it must be like for fossils like @Bagua.

here are my random thoughts that help me:
  1. Sleep - a minimum of 7 hours per night (take some CBD if you had a hard workout like legs)
  2. Sleep - weekend get a 20 minute nap around 3pm (tons of research around that time of day)
  3. Nutrition...get at least 200g of protein.
  4. Nutrition...get a serving of anti-inflammatory foods per day...my top 3 are avocado, blueberries and salmon
  5. Nutrition...intraworkout take EAAs and cluster dextrin. (you will get way less sore)
  6. Nutrition - recovery is MUCH tougher if you are in a caloric deficit.
  7. Training - I would lift no more than 5 days per week if you are doing cardio and have a stressful job
  8. Training - i would do a maximum of 16 working sets per workout
  9. Training - I would do a maximum of 80 working set per week
  10. Recovery - CBD 25-50 mg going to bed (make sure its in grapeseed oil not MCT)
  11. Recovery - mobility work...a 20min to 1/2 hour of foam rolling, lacross ball and light stretching while watching TV helps a ton
  12. Recovery - get a message, active release, chiro, etc at least once every two week .
M2C

@gondar1 and @Oldguyjiujitsu I had a good chuckle at it as well. I will have you know that as of this moment, I have just finished day six in a row with four doubles. All my workouts were two-plus hours (the first one on the split days). I don't feel too bad, except for my hands being punched out a bit. To commemorate we must all sing a song:

@gondar1 and @Oldguyjiujitsu I had a good chuckle at it as well. I will have you know that as of this moment, I have just finished day six in a row with four doubles. All my workouts were two-plus hours (the first one on the split days). I don't feel too bad, except for my hands being punched out a bit. To commemorate we must all sing a song:

I am in but I am going to have a hard time remembering all the lyrics.

Ok I'm laughing!

Oldguyjiujitsu you have this shit on lock down dude!

I aspire to get there.

Cheers fellas! Onward and upward! sleep upstairs....

Grandpa

I am wondering if any other older fellas..I'm 60 find it easy to slip into over training?

I train fairly smart to be honest. However, I can however, be quite zealous once I get going. I don't feel the onset until I crawl into bed that night and I get restless.

How about others? Is this a condition they have experience with? How do you handle it?

I am trying to burn off some fat currently and have cut rest time between sets. Cardio is a separate day.

Suggestions?

Cheers!

Grandpa
Curious what symptoms you consider to be “overtraining”.
Are you in a constantly drained state energetically or emotionally? Seems like you have a lot of gusto from what I can tell.
Are you plateauing or getting weaker on any main lifts?
Or are you just seeing progress slowing down in regards to becoming leaner?