age vs strength???

Taureau

Administrator
What do you think? Does age effect strength as much as people think?

If you had two lifters one who is over 40 and has been lifting for 20 years and the other is 20 and new to lifting. Given they both follow the same program for a year the same diet for a year and lived the same lifestyle eg. no kids no nagging wife to get in the way which seems to hold back most of the older guys who get into training the only difference would be age which would you expect to make the most progress in one year and why?

42 or 43 appears to be the average age limit to natty further strength gains.45 considered the max.

Even tho i dont see myself breaking any of my own numbers, it doesnt mean i couldnt if i wanted to. Its just the ware and tear on my body from the last 20 years that stops me giving it all. Also now that ive had a bunch of injuries, in not as cocky as i was when i was 25.
But old man strength is a real thing

Wouldn't the 20 year old Millenial get his parents to do the lifting for him? :ROFLMAO:

I imagine the 20 year old would benefit the most although since the 40 year old has already been at it hard for 20 years and is new to lifting - would be nice to have those 20 year old's fresh joints and tendons.

I would say I was actually stronger and heavier at 40 without AAS than I was at 20 with gear though but that's after years of training, dieting and slow progress. I still wouldn't imagine that I could make the same drastic improvements or changes in one year's time as the fresh 20 year old newby with the same commitment, training, lifestyle and diet though.

TRT can extend strength beyond 45 for sure. Risk of injury definitely goes up with age. IMO TRT will main test levels through our years but as we get older and older we will convert more...and other hormones and prehormones will decline; dhea, GH, igf-1, etc. Not to mention immune system and nervous system degrading

Ultimately nothing is forever including strength

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at guys like stan efferding he is strong as fuck at 50ish. I beleive a lot of it has to do with mindset and a good diet, recovery and training schedule.

I'm also adding in optimal hormones not crazy but a tad high. Keep your blood test in order. Staying njury free is probably the biggest factor.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

If you look at guys like stan efferding he is strong as fuck at 50ish. I beleive a lot of it has to do with mindset and a good diet, recovery and training schedule.

I'm also adding in optimal hormones not crazy but a tad high. Keep your blood test in order. Staying njury free is probably the biggest factor.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Stan says that over 50 it takes him 1/2 as much to maintain and twice as much to grow.

Interesting observation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought is the 20 year old would surpass.
At 40 and 20 years of training, I bet he is pretty well advanced as far as muscle goes.
As we all know it’s easier at first then get harder later on.

I agree new gains are easier. Not that the 20 y/o would be anywhere near the 40 y/o in terms of progress.

I am in my early 30s and I find at my age strength is Easyer to obtain than in my 20’s, but so are injuries. I did some stupid shit when I was younger and if I pulled something I would be 100% next workout. Now when I hurt something it’s like 6 months before it feels good again.

My greatest strength feats were at 40 plus years old. I started when I was in my early 20's, but farm boy strength when I began.I vote for the over 40 guy will do better than a 20 something man. The metabolism slows and I found I could make better gains after 38-40 yrs old and still going.

Certain things today like my grip are much stronger but I attribute that to work.

I could likely deadlift like I did when I was 20 something but my back would likely implode.

I think if you take a guy in his 40s with experience he will be stronger.

My greatest strength feats were at 40 plus years old. I started when I was in my early 20's, but farm boy strength when I began.I vote for the over 40 guy will do better than a 20 something man. The metabolism slows and I found I could make better gains after 38-40 yrs old and still going.
I definitely feel that the 40's I was in my prime, everything just seemed to come together for me.

I started lifting at 14 and was my strongest at around 35-37, but the wear and tear of heavy lifting took its toll and now my body has said fuck you. I think most people will only have so many years of really hard lifting before they get to gimped up to continue at that level and will eventually have to lighten it up. So yeah I think the young buck would gain way more just due to lack of injuries and chronic pain.

In 20's you can seem to do whatever you want, injuries were nothing of concern back then. Now that I approach the event horizon of 40 I am paranoid of injuries as the ones I inflicted upon myself in my late 20's and 30's have made it clear that they are here to stay.

A seasoned vet of age 40+ should by all means be able to school a noob in his 20's... however that vet would now have the knowledge and expirience to let the noob have the fleeting glory, and later the pain.

I fully believe if the 40 year old was the unicorn of a lifter and been injury free he’d beat the 20 year old. Something to be said about mature muscle mass and proper form from years of training.

as ive read, age hardens tendons. the golgi organ, a nerve in the tendons, acts as a feed back sensor to protect muscles from load damage. harder the tendon, more load allowed. hence old man strength. but the younger guy has all the gains in front of him and will take 20 years to catch up. the 40 yro has most of his gains behind him.

stan efferding is a bad example. the exception is not the rule and he is exceptional. i agree with cog. in pl competitions, guys who are doing it right id say peak at 41ish. guys competing after45 are not training like guys in their mid to late 30s and are there cuz they are still strong and like the gym life. guys who try to train like they are in their 30s when in late 40s are broken messes. there are exceptions but they usually have lots of trophys.

I agree that tendons become stronger and things like grip strength is a clear efffect of this but tendons also become more fragile and can rupture and tear more easily with age.

Probably why a lot of guys back off on heavy lifting with age. I know I did and it really wasn't a conscious decision it just kind of evolved like my body was directing me if that makes any sense.